Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

80's (?) Peugeot DuMond Saved From Trash

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

80's (?) Peugeot DuMond Saved From Trash

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 09:58 AM
JayPoorJay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
80's (?) Peugeot Record DuMond Saved From Trash

Good Morning all

This is my first post, I appreciate you all! All the shared wisdom, guidance and experience. I'm a member of Porsche and Jaguar forums, also because of cars I've saved from the wrecker. I do appreciate these sites. Amazing

Walking the streets of NYC yesterday my girl and I came across what I this is a Peugeot Record, DuMond woman's bike. It had been there for a good spell. I started messing around with it, she's in love with it, and now - well, some of ya might be able to imagine the position I've gotten myself inta!

I don't think I'm able to post pictures on the forum yet.

Front and rear hubs, axles and bearings.
The first thing I'll do is go after the wheels. There are what seems to be original Rigida 27.25 chrome wheels? Is there an aftermarket sealed bearing and axle set anyone can recommend,,, or can I replace bearings? I've read there might be 10 in front and 9 in the rear, or the other way around... Are they 1/4 in or 6.xxx mm? The axles threads are shot and need replacing.

And, since we're here, I might as well replace bearings all around at the crank and neck...?

Any leads, advice warnings or suggestions will be and are greatly appreciated. The girlfriend pressure is very real, lol...

Last edited by JayPoorJay; 06-15-20 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Title correction
Likes For JayPoorJay:
Old 06-15-20, 11:34 AM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Yes, you can overhaul the bearings. If you replace the balls, they'll probably be 1/4" or 3/16." There's lots of guides online for working on these bikes. Sheldon Brown's site is a classic: Sheldonbrown.com.
Old 06-15-20, 12:16 PM
JayPoorJay

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delicious
Yes, you can overhaul the bearings. If you replace the balls, they'll probably be 1/4" or 3/16." There's lots of guides online for working on these bikes. Sheldon Brown's site is a classic: Sheldonbrown.com.
beaUTiful, wonderful, excellent...
​​​​I'll check out that site, now!

Thank you, D!
Old 06-15-20, 12:30 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
JayPoorJay , you can get new wheels for reasonably cheap. Or at least cheaper than pretty much anything Porsche or Jag. Chrome wheels are heavy and the braking surface is suboptimal. The bike will perform better with new wheels. Any since the axles and bearings need work, I vote for the new wheelset. Here's one: https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=739

You may be able clean and regrease the bottom bracket (the bearings between the crank and the frame) and the headset (the bearings between the fork and the frame) to be able to get things going. If the bearings are pitted you can replace them. Most bike shops should have replacements of the correct size or you can measure them yourself and get them online.
Old 06-15-20, 12:30 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Based on two submitted pictures of Rigida Cromolux rims and probability theory, it's likely a 1972-1974 U0 18 or UE 18.
Old 06-16-20, 09:14 AM
JayPoorJay

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
you can get new wheels for reasonably cheap. Or at least cheaper than pretty much anything Porsche or Jag. Chrome wheels are heavy and the braking surface is suboptimal. The bike will perform better with new wheels. Any since the axles and bearings need work, I vote for the new wheelset. Here's one:

You may be able clean and regrease the bottom bracket (the bearings between the crank and the frame) and the headset (the bearings between the fork and the frame) to be able to get things going. If the bearings are pitted you can replace them. Most bike shops should have replacements of the correct size or you can measure them yourself and get them online.
Damn, Wow! You guys are great...

About those wheels. What about the cassette? There is some surface rust but I think it is salvageable. Would the old one thread onto the new? If so, consider the ordered. If not, is there a rear cassette y'all would recommend? There is rust not only on the outside of the OE wheels, but on the inner section as well.

I changed out motor mounts on the 86 928 a few days back. I know it's a different level/type of work, but I'm fairly confident in my ability to do the work on this beautiful bike! What I am not so confident about is the vocabulary. Thanks for clarifying the "bracket" and "headset". I needed that clarification. I'm sure, with y'all's help, if I can get the bearings (just did the fronts on an old Jag XJS I'm restoring) I can figure out how to get them into the bracket and head races...

Then, there's this rear derailleur with plastic parts that surprised me. Everything on this bike it seems is OE. Interesting.

I've been seeing a lot of other bits and pieces on fleabay, and stuff. This is going to be fun!

You guys are great and I appreciate you.
Old 06-16-20, 09:26 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,123 Times in 1,965 Posts
Just refurbished a mixte Peugeot with my gal. Same model I imagine.

New wheels and cassette. Much lighter.
Crank cotters were shot. Old Shimano installed.

plastic simplex derailleurs are fun but very limited in gearing. Replaced.

Mafac brakes, handlebar, stem, shifters salvaged and polished. New cables, tires.

New old saddle and it rides nicely!

its overvalued but she was pleased at helping me overhaul it.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 06-16-20, 09:41 AM
JayPoorJay

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Just refurbished a mixte Peugeot with my gal. Same model I imagine.

New wheels and cassette. Much lighter.
Crank cotters were shot. Old Shimano installed.

plastic simplex derailleurs are fun but very limited in gearing. Replaced.

Mafac brakes, handlebar, stem, shifters salvaged and polished. New cables, tires.

New old saddle and it rides nicely!

its overvalued but she was pleased at helping me overhaul it.
Hey GDawg... THANKS!

I'm a not allowed to post pics and links, yet. I would post a photo of the bike to be sure they are the same.

Not sure what the crank tube, races, hardware is going to look like when I open it, but if it's anything like the front and rear hubs I might be in trouble... Hmm. I found bearings cracked in half in the wheels... Have spec's on the shimano crank yout used for your build? Actually, with the link for the wheels posted earlier, how do I match a cassette?

I worry about ordering bits and pieces just to find once in hand, they don't fit.

I apologise for the elementary questions.
But it's where I'm at in my learning curve.
Old 06-16-20, 09:49 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 06-16-20, 10:11 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by JayPoorJay
Hey GDawg... THANKS!

I'm a not allowed to post pics and links, yet. I would post a photo of the bike to be sure they are the same.

Not sure what the crank tube, races, hardware is going to look like when I open it, but if it's anything like the front and rear hubs I might be in trouble... Hmm. I found bearings cracked in half in the wheels... Have spec's on the shimano crank yout used for your build? Actually, with the link for the wheels posted earlier, how do I match a cassette?

I worry about ordering bits and pieces just to find once in hand, they don't fit.

I apologise for the elementary questions.
But it's where I'm at in my learning curve.
Now worries on the questions! We like helping people keep these bikes running.

Quick note on terminology: the thread on style is called a freewheel. The newer style hub design where you slide the gear cluster onto the hub is called a cassette. You probably have a freewheel.

Check for any markings on the hub or the gear cluster. There are a few different versions of the threads that attach a freewheel to a wheel. The new wheelset I linked uses the standard shimano threading. If you have a Maillard hub or cassette then you may have a proprietary hub "threading" called Helicomatic. You can't use Helicomatic cassettes on new wheels. Regardless you'll need to purchase the right tool to remove your cassette and put it on the new wheel set, if possible.

You can also just buy a new freewheel for cheap. Harris Cyclery is the shop where Sheldon worked. Here's their Freewheel shop which includes details about using 6 speed vs 7 speed freewheels: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html Throw them some $$ for their awesome website!

Last edited by tricky; 06-16-20 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-16-20, 10:11 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

NOt sure I would suggest a complete re-specing of the bike since it is a low level Peugeot from the 70s, but it was fun. I used as many parts as I had laying around and rebuilt (crank, bottom bracket spindle, front derailleur), reconditioned a rear derailleur from several parts, sourced wheels and fenders from BF member, and polished waxed and de-rusted!

I love the steel rims, and Maillard hubs but they were problematic and heavy. BF member had nice wide 27" wheels with tires. I jumped. He also sold me the fenders from the same bike!
The Simplex rear derailleur could not handle 13- 28 tooth for some reason. It was acting wonky in any case. Replaced with Sun Tour AR
Front piston derailleur was catching and not shifting cleanly...replaced with Shimano tri-color. Couldn't find a matching Sun Tour derailleur at that point.
Crankset is a polished heavily scratched Shimano 600, that became a shiny bauble!...had to source French Thread cups/bearings (In Action brand), and an on hand Tange spindle I had on hand., but I just saw this one --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-113...0AAOSwWWxecQYG
Mafac levers were bent and shot. Got Dia Compes from Velo Orange. Perty...
Seat pictured was predictably uncomfortable. Replaced with a similar era Avocet type saddle.

A lot more than the bike is actually worth...but she likes it!

Old 06-16-20, 03:27 PM
JayPoorJay

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's the bike, GDawg! Same thing. Looks like you did a beaUTiful job on it. I think the seat is even the same. This one is German made. Lol,,, which my J likes.

Ok! Yeah. You guys have given me a bit to chew on.

Thanks for the clarification on terms, ideas and a map for going from what I have, to what will be needed IF,,,,,

This is what I think I'm going to do, but yes, advice will still be very much needed and appreciated... Nooo doubt..

From what I've seen so far both front and rear wheels need new bearings for sure (which I'm guessing will be true everywhere), a good cleaning and inspection. I haven't done the clean and inspection as well as needed yet, but will. They are steel/chrome and spin (as best I can spin them with the axles and bearings the way are) true and straight. I'll get some fine steel wool and a product we have here that's supposed to be good at tearing down rust. I will have a go at all things with surface rust - and there is definitely some. But all and all, think I am going to try to keep it as authentic with the OE stuff on the bike now, and bits and pieces I can find on the web. Hey, she loves the vintage part of this thing.

I have a tap and die set and I know I am going to have a tough time chasing the treads on the old axles (if that the right part I'm naming) to get the OE bearing cones at least in to one of the axle ends. The cones (if that is the right term) look fine. No wear and tear that I have seen on them, yet. It's the threads on the axle, maybe from the bike frame crushing them. Is it possible to get replacements?

Let me just say I'm SURE and BELIEVE there are a lot of advantages to replacing OE with newer components. At the same time I know this bike will not be used for distance or speed, at all. My lady LOVEZ the vintage part of this, the French vintage part especially, the fact the bike is older than her, and such. It will be used to run errands in Brooklyn NYC. Literally bread in the basket. To go to Prospect Park for a slow Sunday spin - occasionally. Not much more than that. Sad maybe, but true.

The only thing missing/broken is the RH gear shift. It is broken off about half way down the lever. I think I have seen a few on fleabay already. There is a REAL good chance that I will have to do pretty much everything you all have suggested at the end of the day. But I'm going to take it slow and see how things start working out.

I really should try to break this up to make a bunch of posts so I can get to the point where I can post links and pics,,, but I'm sure I'll get there soon enough, lol.

Y'all are amazing - thank you so so much.
More to come. No doubt about it.
Likes For JayPoorJay:
Old 06-16-20, 06:35 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Definitely some simplex shifters on the bay...I think they were around 30-40 before I rehabbed this. They are an odd half braze on type...be sure to remember the part order...take pictures...I didn’t...oops.

the rear freewheel was odd threading...maybe Helicomatic? Not sure. I quit before then.

if you cants find axles and such, maybe you’d be interested in the wheels that are no longer being used...

I think I still have the cranks and derailleurs as well.

Old 06-16-20, 06:56 PM
JayPoorJay

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Definitely some simplex shifters on the bay...I think they were around 30-40 before I rehabbed this. They are an odd half braze on type...be sure to remember the part order...take pictures...I didn’t...oops.

the rear freewheel was odd threading...maybe Helicomatic? Not sure. I quit before then.

if you cants find axles and such, maybe you’d be interested in the wheels that are no longer being used...

I think I still have the cranks and derailleurs as well.
Hi J... I would be interested. I already know the front axle is done,,, threading is toast on both ends. Can't (easily) get the bearing cones to catch to begin threading them down. Then, they are rough in the mid point. Maybe where the frame rested? I don't know. The rear tho, I can (if I remember, turn off by hand and the quick release slid right out.

I have a lot to learn here.

Let me see how tough things get, and I may just take you up on your offer... Are you saying replacement axles are impossible to find without spending a ton?
Old 06-17-20, 06:56 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Originally Posted by JayPoorJay
Hi J... I would be interested. I already know the front axle is done,,, threading is toast on both ends. Can't (easily) get the bearing cones to catch to begin threading them down. Then, they are rough in the mid point. Maybe where the frame rested? I don't know. The rear tho, I can (if I remember, turn off by hand and the quick release slid right out.

I have a lot to learn here.

Let me see how tough things get, and I may just take you up on your offer... Are you saying replacement axles are impossible to find without spending a ton?
Honestly Jay, I never thought to look for replacements. We had already decided to move on from the wheels.