Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Color Bar Tape?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What Color Bar Tape?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 10:15 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
What Color Bar Tape?

Just to make things a little easier, I'm not going to ask you to identify a rusty old frame, I just want to hear people's opinions on the best color of bar tape to use.

I recently received the frame below, and I'm going to start building it up. Components will all be silver/aluminum. Basically I'm trying to decide between my usual white, a yellow for which I have a matching saddle, or maybe even a gold?

To be clear, I'm really opposed to black bar tape, especially on vintage bikes. And I am a believer in having the bar tape match the saddle where possible, so that makes the gold option difficult. I do have one yellow saddle (not my favorite, but useable), although colors on the graphics are really more gold than yellow.

What do you guys think?

Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 07-01-20, 10:22 AM
semroc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Just to make things a little easier, I'm not going to ask you to identify a rusty old frame, I just want to hear people's opinions on the best color of bar tape to use.

I recently received the frame below, and I'm going to start building it up. Components will all be silver/aluminum. Basically I'm trying to decide between my usual white, a yellow for which I have a matching saddle, or maybe even a gold?

To be clear, I'm really opposed to black bar tape, especially on vintage bikes. And I am a believer in having the bar tape match the saddle where possible, so that makes the gold option difficult. I do have one yellow saddle (not my favorite, but useable), although colors on the graphics are really more gold than yellow.

What do you guys think?

I'd go white bar tape, and try to get a white saddle. Sweet bike.
Likes For semroc:
Old 07-01-20, 01:24 PM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Yellow, white and surprising, but the red is also very spectacular with a blue frame.Although maybe because of the yellow / gold inscription it doesn’t really prevail. You have to try.
Old 07-01-20, 01:30 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
If you want to try gold, I can send a sample of the Lizard Skin Vegas Gold
Likes For natterberry:
Old 07-01-20, 01:32 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
My .002, I think bright yellow cotton tape, yellow cable housing, and a black saddle would all work well together on that bike.
Old 07-01-20, 01:35 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
To be clear, I'm really opposed to black bar tape, especially on vintage bikes.
I'd be curious to hear why, and why on vintage bikes it's especially important to you.
Old 07-01-20, 01:39 PM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
I would go with the accents which are gold. So gold tape. White would look good too on that blue frame though.
Likes For kermie:
Old 07-01-20, 01:42 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Gold bar tape all day long.

Black saddle.
... and tanwall (skinwall) tyres. Vittoria Corsas would look great here.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 07-01-20, 03:17 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. Always interesting to hear what people think.

Originally Posted by natterberry
If you want to try gold, I can send a sample of the Lizard Skin Vegas Gold
Thanks for the offer. That is some fancy looking tape, and $35 (which is what a quick google shows) is usually more than I spend on bar tape. That said, I would be willing to take the plunge and just buy a set to try, but what color saddle would you say I should try with it? I can live with a black saddle.

Originally Posted by noobinsf
My .002, I think bright yellow cotton tape, yellow cable housing, and a black saddle would all work well together on that bike.
I'm always tempted by brighter colored cable housing, but usually end up shying away because I think housing is one of those things that should be noticed as little as possible (hence the white on a mostly white frame in the pic below). Just my opinion, and I'm already pretty dead set on black housing for this build.

Originally Posted by ljsense
I'd be curious to hear why, and why on vintage bikes it's especially important to you.
I just don't really like the look of it. A bit boring and pedestrian in my opinion. Certain modern bikes have paint schemes and colors that do lend themselves well to black tap, and some "blacked out" bikes seem cool, but it just doesn't do much for me.

And while some newer bikes might be OK with it, I don't like it on vintage stuff because they tend to have more lively and interesting paint schemes (at least the 80's and 90's), and most of all I just love the look of race bikes from that era with white or bright bar tape. Just looks cool and correct to me.

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Gold bar tape all day long.
Black saddle.
... and tanwall (skinwall) tyres. Vittoria Corsas would look great here.
So another vote for gold and a black saddle. Hmmm. Oh, and tanwall tires are pretty much a certainty.

This is my Deda Aegis. Not vintage, but it gives you a feel for my preferred look. Also my Loto with white cable housing:

Old 07-01-20, 03:55 PM
Numenor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
white tape and white saddle
Likes For Numenor:
Old 07-01-20, 04:03 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts

Thanks for the offer. That is some fancy looking tape, and $35 (which is what a quick google shows) is usually more than I spend on bar tape. That said, I would be willing to take the plunge and just buy a set to try, but what color saddle would you say I should try with it? I can live with a black saddle.
I’d say black if gold.

I went this route because my gold accents were more mustard, less bright gold.

I’m sure this would be fine in an envelope. PM your address if you want it to gauge color/feel of tape.

Likes For natterberry:
Old 07-01-20, 04:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts

To be clear, I'm really opposed to black bar tape, especially on vintage bikes. ...
Funny, black cloth was my 1st thought. A few of my bikes have seen other colors but black has been my mainstay since the early '70s and on ever bike I raced. Now none of those bikes were vintage. (I raced a 1976 Fuji Pro, but in 1977, 1976 was not vintage yet. ) My Mooney spent years (between ~1984 and 2003) with leather wrapped tennis racquet stye but went back to black Fizik plastic. Best bike is also the black Fizik.
Old 07-01-20, 04:57 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
That blue just screamed "white" at me before I even read your thoughts. That's the way I'd go. Gold could be cool, but it would need to match the decals. I just can't get my mind to accept yellow saddles. Yellow tape and a black saddle would work for me, but if you would insist on a yellow saddle with yellow tape, I'm not so enthusiastic. The tape and the saddle would need to match exactly with yellow, IMO.
Old 07-01-20, 06:20 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
Yellow or white are solid choices. Big fan of this perforated silver that would also look nice.

Likes For plonz:
Old 07-01-20, 06:43 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I am running into the same 'problem' with choice for a bike I picked up for my 27-yr-old niece... Maroon bike, gold lettering. I ordered some shiny gold lined housing from PorkchopBMX. They also have a chrome silver lined housing available!

BUT, will probably go with black bar tape and saddle for two reasons -- Not sure what saddle my niece prefers, and she preferred black bar tape just so it doesn't look dirty as quickly as the yellow tape on my bike...

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 07-01-20 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 07:05 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts

I'm always tempted by brighter colored cable housing, but usually end up shying away because I think housing is one of those things that should be noticed as little as possible (hence the white on a mostly white frame in the pic below). Just my opinion, and I'm already pretty dead set on black housing for this build.

I just don't really like the look of it. A bit boring and pedestrian in my opinion. Certain modern bikes have paint schemes and colors that do lend themselves well to black tap, and some "blacked out" bikes seem cool, but it just doesn't do much for me.

And while some newer bikes might be OK with it, I don't like it on vintage stuff because they tend to have more lively and interesting paint schemes (at least the 80's and 90's), and most of all I just love the look of race bikes from that era with white or bright bar tape. Just looks cool and correct to me.

So another vote for gold and a black saddle. Hmmm. Oh, and tanwall tires are pretty much a certainty.

This is my Deda Aegis. Not vintage, but it gives you a feel for my preferred look. Also my Loto with white cable housing:

I like the white tape and white saddle. Thanks for the explanation, and great photos. I've had a few white saddle / white tape bikes and they look so fantastic when it's pure as the driven snow.

But I've gone strickly black/black, so I was just curious why someone would have an aversion to that.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 07-01-20, 07:10 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I'd say gold myself, but only if it matches. I'm putting blue tape on my white C'Dale with blue lettering. And blue housing too. Since it is for my daughter it is all about the looks.

I know who to look for out there now too. That Basso is hard to miss. Maybe we need to do a vintage ride and I can bring out my Zilioli. Italian frame and all Campy SR pantograph. Not as clean as the Basso though.

Zilioli by zacfi2000, on Flickr

Last edited by zacster; 07-01-20 at 07:15 PM.
Likes For zacster:
Old 07-01-20, 07:53 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
I went maroon on one, yellow on another. And have tried Pale Blue and Light Grey - which both often get mistaken as white-ish.

always cloth on vintage, generally Neebaums.

Maroon on green Zeus

Pale blue on DeRosa

Grey on Batavus

Benotto green vinyl, if you can find some supple enough. Pops w/ blue, tan leather saddle.

The easy yellow look on a Falcon.
Old 07-01-20, 07:56 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

all of these posts, discussion and pictures yet you have not as yet let readers know what colour cable casing you envision employing...and no one has seen fit to inquire

there is a scrap of black poking out of the top tube in your pictures; is that going to be it?

-----
Old 07-01-20, 09:13 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
My blue framed Gios currently has yellow Cinelli cork. Red before that. I'm about ready to move on from yellow and just got a white Cinelli cork in the mail the other day.

Likes For gios:
Old 07-01-20, 09:26 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,896 Times in 930 Posts
Cinelli splash. Can't go wrong.

Likes For P!N20:
Old 07-02-20, 06:45 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
The problem with white and yellow is they get dirty so fast. Look at the yellow tape on my Zilioli above...
Old 07-02-20, 07:30 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
My first impression was blue. That may be too much. White works as long as it is Fizik. I tried the Fizik tape on the Pinarello and am impressed by how well it stays white. It has been 6 years and it still is very acceptable. This picture is from 2018 with 4 years on it. Lots of commuting, probably 5k miles. This is the 2mm thick stuff.
CConversion95, on Flickr

I tried splash on my Colnago. Boy did I get the snub from this forum! A couple people were kind enough to let me know it was totally unacceptable. Still I think it looked ok, given the other colors on the bike. A rare posting with splash.
B_Y_DS, on Flickr
Old 07-02-20, 08:08 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 149 Posts

What do you guys think?
First thing I thought is black seat and tape gives the most classic look to this frame. Being a darker blue to Gios and gold lettering white doesn't look right. White might just pass for the frame but not the gold. With this frame brighter colours can only go with one colour but not the other, black fits with everything on this frame and gives the most classic look. So double layer black cloth tape and black suede seat for the most classic look imo. Did I say "classic" enough

And silver components. Beautiful frame too!

Last edited by jbchybridrider; 07-02-20 at 08:17 AM.
Likes For jbchybridrider:
Old 07-02-20, 08:57 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I am changing handlebars this weekend on my Medici and only have black in cloth. It is a 1982 so other material I suppose would be acceptable . I am going to change the cable housing at the same time. I am now using bronze colored housing and the tape is black vinyl . The bars and stem will be black ( Medici panto on the bars).Also putting correct Super Record RD and chain rings on. Right now it is a halloween bike in black and orange. Thinking maybe yellow cables? Suggestions welcome, Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.