Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ciocc San Cristobal

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ciocc San Cristobal

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 02:19 PM
Ciocc77fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrjav
Not only did I find it, but in two sizes and an extra patch! Looks like I put the large one on my red bike - whether it was right or not, I just wanted to sport it! PM me your address!

I was wondering if you received my pm with my address?
Old 04-05-18, 01:55 PM
mrjav
Girardenghista

Bikes: Tommasini SL, Ciöcc SL, Somec MS, Rossin Ghibli, many many more

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ciocc77fan
I was wondering if you received my pm with my address?
Yep, popped that in the mail a bit ago. I'll see what can be tracked, if possible.
Old 04-10-18, 07:42 AM
tsenyuta

Bikes: Coicc "Mосква 84"; Ciocc TT; Concorde Aquila; Colnago Mexico; Benotto 3000; Lotus Supreme

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Just to add to this historic research about Ciocc brand, now on eBay there are two interesting frames on sale, and they are claimed to be Ciocc frames.
this one is from Torino https://www.ebay.ca/itm/58X56-5-CIOC...sAAOSwjXVay2GQ
this one is from Basiago https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-RARE...UAAOSw~JpaxxJP
You can see some similarities (beside the engraved Ciocc) to more traditional Ciocc frames. Still the main question remains open, are they manufactures by Maestro?
I've had a chance to exchange emails with his son, who is still in business of restoring old Ciocc frames. He might be a good source of any Ciocc-related information.
Old 04-10-18, 09:41 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Both very odd ducks: the first from Torino looks like a product of the "Conti" factory that was running post-Pelizzoli's sale of the Ciocc name and clearly they used the "club"-pierced lugs and BB shell on other brands, possibly did some one-off builds for customers and shops, too.
The second is clearly a Ciocc with the panto'd fork and stay caps but why somebody would paint over and then decal it to pose as a Mondonico is beyond me...The correct Ciocc decal sets are easy enough to come by, certainly as easy as Mondonico decals and why anybody would favor that one thoroughbred marque over the other to play this petty fraud is baffling. Like the Torino I think it's made by other hands than Pelizzoli's but that factory did fine work so they are nothing to sneeze at.
Old 06-17-20, 06:26 AM
sw909

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Resurrecting this great thread in hope that I can get some history on a Ciocc frame I bought. The seller places it between 1978 - 1980. The story goes that it was owned by a pro rider and it left the Ciocc factory blank with no decals because the rider needed to use his sponsor logos. So ignore the current decals - they are just stickers that he placed himself after he was finished using it.

I know it's Columbus SL, and I think it's a San Cristobal but it could be earlier. Before I go ahead with new decals I want to make sure.

The interesting features that might help pinpoint it's age are:
the pantographed seat tube and head tube,
the fully chrome seat stays,
the "iper ciocc" on the chain stay is an original decal and not a sticker like the others,
the screw holes for a second bottle cage on the seat tube,
it also has a serial number on the bottom bracket - 55.

Any help is much appreciated.

Old 06-17-20, 07:58 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
SW909,
The lug work on this one is quite elegant, 55 is the size of the frame, it appears to be a repaint but I could be wrong....if a team bike wouldn't there be a number holder on the HT?
Ciocc experts will chime in....nice looking!
Best, Ben
Old 06-17-20, 08:30 AM
sw909

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
SW909,
The lug work on this one is quite elegant, 55 is the size of the frame, it appears to be a repaint but I could be wrong....if a team bike wouldn't there be a number holder on the HT?
Ciocc experts will chime in....nice looking!
Best, Ben
Original paint job according to the seller, and as far as I can tell. It just hasn't been used much. The person who bought it from the pro never rode it and I'm not sure the pro rode it much because the chain stay is immaculately clean.

haha of course, it's the size! I don't know why that didn't cross my mind.
Old 06-17-20, 08:58 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Last fall I bought my wife a Ciocc frame after her 1985 Bianchi Brava suffered a fracture clean across the lower head tube lug. The frame came from Italy via Ebay and was described as a restored original San Cristobol. She's a real beauty!

Old 06-17-20, 09:07 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by sw909
Original paint job according to the seller, and as far as I can tell. It just hasn't been used much. The person who bought it from the pro never rode it and I'm not sure the pro rode it much because the chain stay is immaculately clean.

haha of course, it's the size! I don't know why that didn't cross my mind.
Very nice if original paint...good score, these ride very well, what group will you hang on it?
Ben
Old 06-17-20, 09:41 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Both th metallic red and sliver examples appear to be "early" based on the seat stay cap and forkcrown engraving, plus the "pintail" lug points. Most likely made either when Pelizzoli was running his shop or very soon after. Also both certainly look to be San Cristobal models, the silver appears to have a hand-drawn signature on the top tube, not the signature decal. Very interesting: was the restoration done at the current Pelizzoli shop? The red has a different forkcrown to the silver, and to my own early San Cristobal which is like the silver, and the BB shell is slightly different, too. It has a Portacatena dropout which may or may not be a reliable clue to the exact age.The red has different TT cable guides to mine and the silver surprisingly has clips, which may be due to the braze-on guides being damaged so ground off. Both very handsome and good to see them, thanks for these pix!
Old 06-17-20, 09:50 AM
sw909

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Very nice if original paint...good score, these ride very well, what group will you hang on it?
Ben
Nuovo Record groupset, and I also scored this lovely stem:

Old 06-17-20, 09:51 AM
sw909

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Both th metallic red and sliver examples appear to be "early" based on the seat stay cap and forkcrown engraving, plus the "pintail" lug points. Most likely made either when Pelizzoli was running his shop or very soon after. Also both certainly look to be San Cristobal models, the silver appears to have a hand-drawn signature on the top tube, not the signature decal. Very interesting: was the restoration done at the current Pelizzoli shop? The red has a different forkcrown to the silver, and to my own early San Cristobal which is like the silver, and the BB shell is slightly different, too. It has a Portacatena dropout which may or may not be a reliable clue to the exact age.The red has different TT cable guides to mine and the silver surprisingly has clips, which may be due to the braze-on guides being damaged so ground off. Both very handsome and good to see them, thanks for these pix!
Thanks! Info on the history of the ciocc frames is so hard to come by so this helps a lot. I want to stick a San Cristobal decal on it but only if it's the real deal.
Old 06-17-20, 11:37 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
The Ebay listing said it was signed by Pelizzoli, but the seller was not Cicli Pelizzoli, though I think they did the restoration because it is very nice. This link below shows another bike with a known Pelizzoli signature similar to the one on my wife's frame (Firefox indicates link unsecure - copy&paste sans quotes into Google search pulls it up).
"https://www.perthvintagecycles.com/2016/08/1979-ciocc-san-cristobal_21.html"

Last edited by sced; 06-17-20 at 01:13 PM.
Likes For sced:
Old 06-21-20, 07:50 PM
tsenyuta

Bikes: Coicc "Mосква 84"; Ciocc TT; Concorde Aquila; Colnago Mexico; Benotto 3000; Lotus Supreme

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
I believe you can ask Mr. Pelizzoly directly what does he think about this frame. At least his son is still in business. Just google his name.
Some time ago i was about to send my frames (i used to have two Ciocc bikes) for restoration, but it was economically prohibitive back then.
IMHO, this frame looks nicely restored frame, but again, I could be wrong. Try to chase it via distribution company that sold them in the US. They had nice booklets back in 80s.
Old 07-01-20, 08:01 AM
sw909

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So I ended up having it resprayed. Despite the seller telling me the old transfers weren't lacquered on I discovered that they were and if I wanted new decals done a repaint was obviously the only way.
I'm very happy with how it came out:

Likes For sw909:
Old 07-01-20, 01:04 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
iper=hyper