Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt Turn by Turn Directions?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-01-20, 01:46 PM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I just got an Elemnt Bolt and uploaded a few routes from Strava. I can access them but they don’t seem to be providing turn by turn directions. Is the only way to figure out the route to just look at the picture on the map on the screen? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-01-20, 01:52 PM
Plainsman

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Strava does not export turn by turn cues. This was the case back in 2017/2018 anyway. The Elemnt does not have those built in. If you use Kamoot or Ride with GPS (created from Scratch) it will work. You can't try to back door it though by putting the Strava file through Kamoot or Ride with GPS. This video from GP Lama helped me. If this has been updated and someone else knows the trick, I'm all ears too!

Old 07-01-20, 02:39 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
This is one of the big reasons I'm moving away from Strava to RWGPS.
Old 07-01-20, 05:22 PM
kosmo886

Originally Posted by Plainsman
Strava does not export turn by turn cues. This was the case back in 2017/2018 anyway. The Elemnt does not have those built in. If you use Kamoot or Ride with GPS (created from Scratch) it will work. You can't try to back door it though by putting the Strava file through Kamoot or Ride with GPS. This video from GP Lama helped me. If this has been updated and someone else knows the trick, I'm all ears too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccDMxcW1BuM
That seems like a big missed opportunity for Strava. All my friends are on Strava. Would this mean essentially running ride with GPS and Strava at the same time?
Old 07-01-20, 05:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
You can save completed rides to Strava but use RWGPS to create rides.
Old 07-01-20, 05:51 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
That seems like a big missed opportunity for Strava. All my friends are on Strava. Would this mean essentially running ride with GPS and Strava at the same time?
No. I never run RwGPS on a ride. I simply create routes with RwGPS on the computer and have my Wahoo and RwGPS accounts linked; the created routes will migrate over to the Wahoo.
Old 07-01-20, 05:56 PM
kosmo886

Originally Posted by WhyFi
No. I never run RwGPS on a ride. I simply create routes with RwGPS on the computer and have my Wahoo and RwGPS accounts linked; the created routes will migrate over to the Wahoo.
Got it. I just got my Wahoo so sorry for the basic questions! I just created a route on ride with GPS and linked to my Strava account and Wahoo. I will test shortly, but assume I just start the route on the Wahoo and should have everything all linked up and audible turn by turn directions. Is this the best way to do it? Thanks!
Old 07-01-20, 06:45 PM
kosmo886

Originally Posted by Steve B.
You can save completed rides to Strava but use RWGPS to create rides.
Is it possible to set a start and end point (likely the same) and desired distance and have RWGPS set a random route to those parameters?
Old 07-01-20, 06:49 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Got it. I just got my Wahoo so sorry for the basic questions! I just created a route on ride with GPS and linked to my Strava account and Wahoo. I will test shortly, but assume I just start the route on the Wahoo and should have everything all linked up and audible turn by turn directions. Is this the best way to do it? Thanks!
Yup. You can either select the route from your Wahoo or from the Wahoo Element companion app.

Oh, to be clear, though - it's not giving spoken turn instructions; it's beeping at you when a turn is approaching and giving you instructions (left/right, street name) on-screen.
Old 07-01-20, 07:00 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Only way I know to get an audible TBT is on a Garmin that is BT connected to a phone that you can connect headphones. I’ve heard of this, never done it. Maybe some of the smartphone GPS cycling apps can do this as well.
Old 07-02-20, 12:09 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Is it possible to set a start and end point (likely the same) and desired distance and have RWGPS set a random route to those parameters?

No, but it's possible to plot a route on RWGPS and have it make some pretty random jumps while you're working on it.
Old 07-02-20, 02:12 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
This. However bear in mind the navigation on the Bolt is not brilliant. If you miss a turn it'll tell you but won't redirect back onto route. I rarely use it for navigational purposes, if I ride somewhere completely new I find it helps to check over some OS maps etc and get a rough idea of area. Plus have phone with Google maps on if you'll really stuck.
Old 07-02-20, 07:11 AM
kosmo886

Yup. You can either select the route from your Wahoo or from the Wahoo Element companion app.

Oh, to be clear, though - it's not giving spoken turn instructions; it's beeping at you when a turn is approaching and giving you instructions (left/right, street name) on-screen.
Just took a ride using RWGPS route pushed to the Wahoo. Worked quite well. Syncing that to Strava was also smooth. Only outstanding question is if I can get Apple Watch HR data to the apps...