Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help: Defy Advanced 2 vs TCR Advanced 2: Which to choose?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-01-15, 01:21 AM
cyclinggerrydee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm a cycling newbie that ended up buying an 'entry' road bike this year, to see how much I could get into it since we have a toddler. Got a Norco Valence A4, now I want to sell it (or keep it for a winter bike) and get my 'real' bike.

Here are my choices: Defy Advanced 2 vs TCR Advanced 2.

I like speed but I also like endurance riding (100KMs+). For those that have ridden both the Defy Advanced and TCR Advanced, which bike did you buy and why? What are the major differences in 'sportive' geo vs race geo?

If I get the DA 2, can it still keep up with a TCR A2? Will riding for long hours on the TCR be 'less' comfortable than the Defy?

I like the fact the Defy has disc brakes standard now, and the new yellow highlighter scheme is bad ass vs the blue or black/red on the 2016 TCR.

Both bikes are $2149 CAD.

Which would you choose and why? Will be headed to my LBS for a fit and ride, but in the meantime would love your feedback, fellow Giant riders. TIA!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
16_TCR_Advanced_2_Comp-Red.jpg (59.9 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by cyclinggerrydee; 09-01-15 at 01:24 AM. Reason: added images
Old 09-01-15, 01:27 AM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Their only difference is how upright you want to sit while riding. TCR will put you in a more hunched over position, which is more aero but less comfortable.
Old 09-01-15, 01:32 AM
cyclinggerrydee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by link0 View Post
Their only difference is how upright you want to sit while riding. TCR will put you in a more hunched over position, which is more aero but less comfortable.
Yeah I get that part, guess I'm wondering who will win in a race, Defy vs TCR? Some suggested I could make either bike the same by raising the stem. But I am kinda leaning towards disc brakes in the Defy too. Would love to hear from other Defy/TCR buyers.
Old 09-01-15, 01:38 AM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinggerrydee View Post
Yeah I get that part, guess I'm wondering who will win in a race, Defy vs TCR? Some suggested I could make either bike the same by raising the stem. But I am kinda leaning towards disc brakes in the Defy too. Would love to hear from other Defy/TCR buyers.
Of course the TCR would win in a race IF you can stay in that lower position the whole race without your back giving out. Obviously, Aero = Faster.

You can raise the stem on the TCR, and you can only cut the Defy's stem so much.

Disc brakes are heavier than rim brakes, and more expensive. They brake slightly better in the rain though.
Old 09-01-15, 03:02 AM
Van Goghs Ear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The stronger rider will win every time
Old 09-01-15, 05:03 AM
dirk1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you'll appreciate the comfort of the Defy more. If you decide to get into racing at some point you'll probably be looking a bit more aggressive than a TCR anyway.
Old 09-01-15, 10:06 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 21 Posts
I had the predecessor to the defy (the OCR) before I got my TCR. For me, the TCR is better because I have fairly long arms and like to ride with a significant drop from my saddle to the handlebars.
If I were you, I would ride them both and if you feel comfy on the TCR, get it.

As to the disc brakes, they would be good if you were riding in the winter but otherwise they are just heavier and more complicated than rim brakes. I would also note that they are old tech (cable actuated) so they likely won't be considered a desirable feature in the future.
Old 09-01-15, 11:15 AM
sw686blue

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I have a TCR Advanced and love the bike, but it isn't the most comfortable ride, that's for sure! The position is very different than that of the Defy. If you took two equally skilled riders, I would expect the TCR to win in an all-out race.

Personally, I do not like disc brakes and do not see them as an advantage on a road bike. What are you looking for? More comfort, longer rides or a full-out racer? Both bikes are excellent either way.

I'm in the process of making more TCR more endurance-like aka comfortable. I'm changing the tires from 23mm to 28mm, changed the saddle from Arione VS to an Aliante VS and possibly flipping (gasp!!!) the stem upwards.

I've ridden both bikes and they are great. It all comes down to what you are looking for in a bike.
Old 09-01-15, 12:18 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
off topic:

Giant's naming scheme for their bikes and the way they constantly changing them is confusing and not helping, IMHO. What's with TCR/OCR/Defy/Propel/Envie/whatnot, and adding the numbers and random words like Advanced.
Old 09-01-15, 12:26 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
since it is going to be you on either bike... neither is going to be faster, not really...
I have a domane as my endurance bike and a propel as my speed/aero bike...
I have a 5 mile section that I time myself on...I am maybe a 1/2mile an hour faster on the propel...the propel feels faster, but the clock does not lie...if I am riding a couple hours or less, the propel is a fun ride... if I am looking at longer rides, the domane is the ride hands down...
I would suggest you actually ride them both and go with the one you like the feel of the best when you are on it. Keep in mind, feeling fast is not necessarily really being faster, and keep in mind that if you are going to be doing long rides, you will wind up faster over the long haul on a bike you stay comfortable on, plus you will feel better at the end of the day.
Old 09-01-15, 12:30 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2723 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 47 Posts
An 'aggressive' fit is only useful if you are flexible/fit enough to keep said 'aggressive' position comfortably for a long time. On a long run you will be faster on the bike that you are the most comfortable on.
Old 09-01-15, 12:35 PM
T800CF

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, Giant Anthem 27.5 3, Giant Defy Composite 1

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by link0 View Post
Of course the TCR would win in a race IF you can stay in that lower position the whole race without your back giving out. Obviously, Aero = Faster.

You can raise the stem on the TCR, and you can only cut the Defy's stem so much.

Disc brakes are heavier than rim brakes, and more expensive. They brake slightly better in the rain though.

Depends on what kind of race. I don't know if John Degenkolb would win Paris-Roubaix if he rode TCR/Propel.
Old 09-01-15, 09:33 PM
cyclinggerrydee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some excellent sound advice, thanks guys. Once the weather gives me a day I can do test rides at LBS, I'll figure this out. Typically I'd like to do 2 hour rides on the weekends (so I don't abandon the family for too long hehe) with the odd weekend going longer at 100KM or more. I think you're right being comfortable in the long run would lead to better performance, versus the short term gain of a race geo. I'll be back.

If anyone else is reading this or has a defy advanced/tcr advanced, share your thoughts!
Old 09-01-15, 09:41 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A new rider will enjoy the Defy more. Comfort, better braking means that you will fin into your bike a little better. Once you have the fitness and the techniques you should graduate to a full on race TCR and notice the difference.
Old 02-12-16, 12:12 PM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Giants problem is if I wanted more of an endurance geometry than the TCR, I would go to another brand. The issue for me with the Defy is that you don't get hydraulic disc brakes until you get to the $3,200 mark so you're stuck with the mechanical spyres.

If the defy had a non-disc brake option like the Treks than it would be a much easier decision getting a $2,000 Defy with 105 brakes over a TCR for endurance riding.

But given the lack of options on the Defy brakes I think I'd rather just use all of the spacers on the TCR and get wider tires for endurance.

Felt, Trek and others did one thing right giving their endurance bikes the option of Disc or Non-disc. With Giant you're stuck with mechanical discs until you break 3 Gs.
Old 02-12-16, 12:16 PM
cyclinggerrydee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just an update on my bike situation: went to my local LBS, ended up buying a Cervelo R2 on sale for $2300 CAD. Very happy with it! Maybe I'll get a Propel for my next aero bike!

Now about wheel set upgrades...what do you guys recommend? Right now I'm eyeing Dura Ace C35 or C50s...