Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Light & Motion Vis Pro?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Light & Motion Vis Pro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 09:50 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Light & Motion Vis Pro?

Gut check.

Light & Motion Vis Pro is $150 retail but REI has a 20% off member coupon. Backcountry has it for $129 as well. I'm thinking of getting this light.

Previous generations of this light have an issue where the insulation pulls away from the light and battery housings exposing the wires underneath. My concern is whether this happens with the newer Vis Pro.

Does anyone have experience with the Vis Pro? Did the insulation pull away on yours? Any other issues?

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-29-18 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 12:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Maybe self fusing tape will add to
the insulation on the wires has pulled away slightly from the light and battery housings and exposed the double wires underneath
Or electrician's tape..

o
Old 03-29-18, 03:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'd ask Light & Motion, or at least send them some detailed photos of the problem. They might offer to repair it.

Many of us had a similar problem with a very expensive bit of Nikon gear, a TTL cord for their dedicated flash units. No response from Nikon, unfortunately. We ended up doing our own repairs and modifications to reduce straining the delicate wire connections.

I've used white duct tape to secure the wires on my Nikon TTL flash cord and it's held for years. Much better than the old style gray duct tape that got gummy or brittle with age. But it's not used outdoors in sunlight or wet weather, so it's not a good solution for something like a bike headlight.

Adding strain relief to existing wiring that's still making connection is tricky if we don't have the tools and skill to resolder micro circuits. The usual strain relief connectors are designed to be slipped over wires before they're soldered.

One trick is to slit the replacement plastic strain relief connectors, poke the wires through, poke the strain relief collar through the opening in the device, then use a dab of flexible adhesive suitable for electrical devices (best to avoid adhesives that might corrode or oxidize delicate micro soldering -- which pretty much eliminates most stuff that's readily available off the shelf) to secure the wire inside the strain relief connector, and tape the slit connector closed.

Last edited by canklecat; 03-29-18 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 06:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
While I appreciate the advice, I'm not interested in replacement or how to fix the existing Vis 360+ but rather whether this is a continued problem with the new Vis Pro.

I need to learn to offer fewer details and have edited the first post as such.

Sorry if TMI made my question unclear.

-Tim-
Old 03-30-18, 10:56 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
IF you have a joint between the light and the cord that needs strengthening you might use a dab of JB Weld steel reinforced epoxy. I've used it many times after making solder repairs. It even worked to insulate and strengthen the connection on a bike computer cable that was too short for my situation. Tape tends to peel off and be gummy in the heat. JB Weld will adhere to plastic.

I occasionally ride with a guy who uses one of these lights. It works well as a "be seen in daytime light" but I was not impressed by the price when there are so many inexpensive but good quality chip-on-board USB rechargeable lights out there now. He's a retired MD so money is no object to him. If the wire broke, he wouldn't fix it just throw it away.