Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Customs Question For International C&V Buyers

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 10:05 AM
cleroica

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts

I recently purchased a vintage frameset from Austria. USPS tracking states that the package is a Priority Mail International Parcel. The frameset was processed through the New York ISC facility at 10:10am on March 2nd. From what I have read, this means the package is now in customs. I have also read that it is not uncommon to not see any tracking updates for a week or more. Has anyone here experienced long delays at the New York facility? If this was just a bottom bracket or some brake hoods, I wouldn't worry too much about shipping time. Being that it is a pretty unique frameset, I find myself checking the tracking more than I normally would. When it comes to a package sitting in customs, how long would be considered too long? As I said before, I'm aware that 4 days isn't a long time in this particular situation. I am just curious as to hold times forum members may have experienced in the past. Other sources seem to have several horror stories regarding packages being lost, stolen, or rerouted to various states throughout the country. Thanks ahead of time!
Old 03-06-20, 10:25 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
if the declared value matches the purchase price you should have no problems.
If the seller wished to do you a favor...
Old 03-06-20, 10:49 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Though not from New York, I have experienced long waits, once customs gets involved. The worst was thirty days for an early seventies Peugeot bicycle that I sent to Australia a decade, or so, ago. What you are experiencing now is pretty normal, in my opinion, and you should see a change by Monday or Tuesday. Even then, don't worry a lot, just be happy!-)
Old 03-06-20, 11:02 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Customs is a random thing. I got a frame from England door to door in 4 days once. I've had delays of up to 2 weeks before. I've had stuff held up in customs from Canada (Canada!) for a week.

YMMV.
Old 03-06-20, 11:40 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
And, sadly, sometimes things just disappear. By the time you are sure something has vanished, it's too late to file a claim with eBay. Remember, eBay is a form of gambling.
Old 03-06-20, 12:18 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
My experience with US customs was with a set of Whitworth wrenches. Customs held them up for nearly a month. I had no idea where they were, so I filed a claim with Amazon. Apparently Amazon was able to determine that they were in fact on the way to me.
Old 03-06-20, 12:48 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
cleroica If you have ever seen "Border Security" on Netflix or equivalent, you will understand the level of complexity or the workload Customs agents have in the NY area. With the number of international packages coming through every day, a delay is not a surprise. With recent concerns, I can imagine the level of screening and inspection may have increased with continuing limited resources.

When they find something to investigate, it takes some time away from the screening. This is especially true with the agricultural contents. Often they are hidden in what appear to electronic or mechanical declared content. And it is true that Europe is not as much concern as say China and other countries from that part of the world. South America is also a prime target origin.

Last edited by SJX426; 03-06-20 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-06-20, 01:00 PM
cleroica

Originally Posted by SJX426
cleroica If you have ever seen "Border Security" on Netflix or equivalent, you will understand the level of complexity or the workload Customs agents have in the NY area.
That actually sounds like something I may be interested in watching. I will have to check it out.
Old 03-11-20, 01:47 PM
cleroica

My frameset made it out of customs and to the Jersey City distribution center on the 7th. In the past, packages will typically make their way to Cleveland from NJ. In this particular case, it was sent to the Pittsburgh distribution center. Tracking shows that it arrived in Pittsburgh on the 8th. Every day since, it just shows as "In Transit to Next Facility". Not sure what facility it's in transit to, being that I live about 2 hours away from Pittsburgh.
Old 03-11-20, 03:16 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
To transit to a government warehouse, to be set next to the crate that holds the Ark.
Likes For repechage: