Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava - inaccurate top speed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-20, 12:58 PM
bran1986

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

So I've been using Strava to calculate my rides and it always seemed to be accurate with my mountain bike: 11 mph average speed, top speed 22-25 mph. All of that is about right for the type of rider I am.

Here is the weird part; both times I have used it with my new road bike it has showed outrageous top speeds - 41 and 61 mph. The average speed and distance seems to be accurate, but those top speeds can't be right?

Anyone know what it could be about the road bike that is throwing off the top speed? I highly doubt my top speed has increased 16-36 mph just by changing to a road bike.

FYI, I have not changed my biking route at all.

Last edited by bran1986; 04-23-20 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-23-20, 01:03 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
i don't pay or bother with telling strava what my equipment is so...

but, possible that this is just an anomaly? strava uses gps data to determine where you are and in conjunction with time how fast you got there.

-scott
Old 04-23-20, 01:08 PM
bran1986

I also don't tell Strava what bike/equipment I'm using, so the app itself has no idea that I have switched bikes. I just find it weird that I'm riding the same route, same general average speed and same distance. However, both times with my road bike it's showing crazy high speeds.
Old 04-23-20, 01:44 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Same average speed going from a mountain bike to a road bike on the same road route? I would expect the road bike to be at least a bit faster.

40+mph is noticeable, I hit it daily on my usual route, but def know when I'm going that fast. I'm guessing you had a couple of glitches in the Strava tracking. Same device, phone app, computer, etc.?
Old 04-23-20, 01:53 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by bran1986
So I've been using Strava to calculate my rides and it always seemed to be accurate with my mountain bike: 11 mph average speed, top speed 22-25 mph. All of that is about right for the type of rider I am.

Here is the weird part; both times I have used it with my new road bike it has showed outrageous top speeds - 41 and 61 mph. The average speed and distance seems to be accurate, but those top speeds can't be right?

Anyone know what it could be about the road bike that is throwing off the top speed? I highly doubt my top speed has increased 16-36 mph just by changing to a road bike.

FYI, I have not changed my biking route at all.
It's your GPS device. I was experiencing this with my phone. Sometimes my post-ride analysis would show speeds of 67 mph! This started happening on almost every ride. I suspected that my phone was getting a bit long-in-the-tooth, or maybe an update wasn't playing well the the GPS chip.

Bought a Garmin 530 and I never had the issue again.

I would say it's mere coincidence that it's only happening on the road bike.

Likes For Ross520:
Old 04-23-20, 01:57 PM
bran1986

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Same average speed going from a mountain bike to a road bike on the same road route? I would expect the road bike to be at least a bit faster.

40+mph is noticeable, I hit it daily on my usual route, but def know when I'm going that fast. I'm guessing you had a couple of glitches in the Strava tracking. Same device, phone app, computer, etc.?
I shouldn't have said same average speed for each bike. I meant an average speed in line with what I was expecting from switching bikes, meaning that the average speed wasn't an insane amount higher.

Same device and app for both bikes.
Old 04-23-20, 02:00 PM
bran1986

Originally Posted by Ross520
It's your GPS device. I was experiencing this with my phone. Sometimes my post-ride analysis would show speeds of 67 mph! This started happening on almost every ride. I suspected that my phone was getting a bit long-in-the-tooth, or maybe an update wasn't playing well the the GPS chip.

This actually makes a ton of sense. I'm curious if there is any way that I can correct this, even though it's not a huge deal. I'm using a newer Note 10 so I doubt it's the phone itself. Maybe a simple reset will fix it.
Likes For bran1986:
Old 04-23-20, 02:05 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
GPS Coverage

I suspect you ride the mountain and road bike in different places.
If you are relying on Strava and GPS, I suspect the road bike route is suffering poor GPS coverage.

The same can occur if I use my Wahoo Bolt in pure GPS mode.
Adding a wheel mounted speed sensor, even though not required, does cause it to double check GPS readings for reality. It also detects me stopped and Auto-Pauses/Resumes the ride quickly.
The Bolt does not even require me to calibrate for the wheel circumference, it works that out for itself.

I tried using FitBit/GPS and Strava/GPS both on iPhone. I like the dedicated computer better.

All the best

Barry

Barry
Old 04-23-20, 02:19 PM
bran1986

Originally Posted by Barry2
I suspect you ride the mountain and road bike in different places.
If you are relying on Strava and GPS, I suspect the road bike route is suffering poor GPS coverage.

The same can occur if I use my Wahoo Bolt in pure GPS mode.
Adding a wheel mounted speed sensor, even though not required, does cause it to double check GPS readings for reality. It also detects me stopped and Auto-Pauses/Resumes the ride quickly.
The Bolt does not even require me to calibrate for the wheel circumference, it works that out for itself.

I tried using FitBit/GPS and Strava/GPS both on iPhone. I like the dedicated computer better.

All the best

Barry

Barry
In these two cases I rode (almost) the exact route as I used to on my mountain bike. I was using my mountain bike 99% for road biking, which is why I ended up purchasing a road bike - the right tool for the job.

I might get a dedicated GPS at some point but for now I'm more concerned with distance/average speed more than anything, which Strava seems to do a pretty good job at. Was just curious on the whole top speed thing since it seemed weird that it only happened when I switched to the road bike.
Old 04-23-20, 02:49 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520

This!! I was using my phone as the GPS and would get weird surges like that bought myself a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, for myself as a Christmas gift. I've had much better speed readings since then
Likes For taco2ewsday:
Old 04-23-20, 03:01 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by bran1986
I'm curious if there is any way that I can correct this,.
You could try to recalibrate your GPS on your phone. There are instructions on how to do this on the internet. I reset my phone to fix my issue though.
What happens is that Strava loses contact with GPS, and screws it all up based on where it thinks you were and where you are at now.
I ended up buying a dedicate GPS also, a Bryton unit.
Old 04-23-20, 03:51 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
I have checked my recent rides and speed is the only chart that is reasonably smooth, others like power is jagged mess. I have also compared Strava speed charts against my bike cateye and all checks out. My running speed charts though all jagged with spikes up and down so i do not pay much attention to instantaneous values just averages.

I used to have problems with Strava about 2 years ago, there are some features on the phone that try to save GPS power usage that were messing up some of my runs and rides, and additionally my phone was getting slow. Your Strava ride analysis should be showing when and where on the map these miscalculations occur. Recently with newer faster phone (galaxy s9) i had no problems.
Old 04-23-20, 03:55 PM
bran1986

Originally Posted by rowerek
I have checked my recent rides and speed is the only chart that is reasonably smooth, others like power is jagged mess. I have also compared Strava speed charts against my bike cateye and all checks out. My running speed charts though all jagged with spikes up and down so i do not pay much attention to instantaneous values just averages.

I used to have problems with Strava about 2 years ago, there are some features on the phone that try to save GPS power usage that were messing up some of my runs and rides, and additionally my phone was getting slow. Your Strava ride analysis should be showing when and where on the map these miscalculations occur. Recently with newer faster phone (galaxy s9) i had no problems.
Yep, it shows exactly where the spike is. Shows consistent speeds my entire ride and then a huge spike at one location. Glad to hear I'm not the only one having this issue.