Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge info needed

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin Edge info needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 09:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Garmin Edge info needed

I have an older Edge 200 that I have really liked. The other day a message popped up saying that it was going to be deleting old rides in HISTORY. I assumed it had reached capacity. Fine with me. I let it go do it's thing. Then it apparently deleted every single ride in HISTORY. It did save the ride I was on at the time. Still I'm OK with it. So, now I have one ride saved. So, I do another ride and save it. I upload it to Garmin Connect and Strava. Still, all's well. However when I go back into HISTORY, the first ride is there but the latest one is not. Now I've got the one ride in history and I delete it manually. Today I went for a 17 mile ride and saved it. Again it uploads to Garmin Connect and Strava. Then I go into HISTORY and it's not there. But, the one I deleted is still there. So, I attempt to delete (three times) and it won't delete. Is this typical of an Edge that needs to be replaced?
Old 07-01-20, 09:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
It has a usb port doesn't it? Plug it in to your computer and use your file explorer to go to the /GARMIN/ACTIVITIES or maybe /GARMIN/ACTIVITY folder and copy all those rides, if they are still there, to your computer. Then delete all or most of them on the device with your file explorer.

If on a mac, don't just move them to trash. That will create a hidden file where it stores the files to allow you to undelete them but frees up little space on that drive.

Then restart your device. It might take awhile. If that fails to solve your issue, then do a reset. You'll have to look at the FAQ's at Garmin for your device to find how.

The issue I think for Edges and other devices is that when storage starts to get full, the OS has no room for temporary files and stuff it might need. Similar to when your PC or macbook fill up a harddrive.

Some of the older Garmin devices didn't adhere to the file folder structure I told you to look for. So if it is one that uses a different file and folder tree, then you'll have to google or look on Garmin's site for where rides are stored on that model.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-01-20 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-01-20, 03:02 PM
bruce19

Thanks.
Old 07-01-20, 03:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
It sounds like the software is confused, not like the unit went bad and needs replacing. It might need resetting.

Unrelated to if you need to get it replaced, having a ride in history on the machine isn't very useful. If it's getting to Connect and on to Strava, that's the important part. Looking at anything from past rides on the Edge itself is a kludge, the apps and web pages are so much better at showing your data in a useful way. The only real purpose of the history is to keep the data until it can be uploaded to the cloud, like if you took a cycling vacation so deep into arctic Canada your phone didn't work, you need the history until you get home and sync.
Old 07-02-20, 03:28 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
It sounds like the software is confused, not like the unit went bad and needs replacing. It might need resetting.

Unrelated to if you need to get it replaced, having a ride in history on the machine isn't very useful. If it's getting to Connect and on to Strava, that's the important part. Looking at anything from past rides on the Edge itself is a kludge, the apps and web pages are so much better at showing your data in a useful way. The only real purpose of the history is to keep the data until it can be uploaded to the cloud, like if you took a cycling vacation so deep into arctic Canada your phone didn't work, you need the history until you get home and sync.
Pretty much what I've come to. BTW I went to get pics of the ponds on Bogg Lne. but it hasn't been hay'ed so the pics sucked.
Likes For bruce19: