Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Lighten up! your summer touring setup

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-09-06, 09:11 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

My touring gear loads continue to lighten up and make the bike more nimble and capable of riding longer distances in a day comfortably. I put down 135 miles on it Monday, including a mountain pass and about 35 miles of gravel and trail.

The ultralight setup I'm still fine tuning isn't for everyone, but is everything I need to stay comfortable and warm in summer tours around these parts. Tarp, sleeping system, sleeping pad, stove, pot, first aid kit, extra warm clothing, etc; the full kit.

Fits into two, bread loaf sized compression sacks, a couple of side pocket thingies, plus a mini front rack. gear setup is probably under six pounds. I haven't weighed out all the components, but I am talking QUANTUM LEAP away from full panniers. On mondays' ride i was moving as well in the hundredth mile as i was in the first 10. this full kit camping and gear setup is LIGHT.

I have applied Yvon Chouniard's maxim about packing gear, "Take away, until there is nothing left to leave behind." I have two touring bikes, a Long Haul Trucker and a 520. the LHT is my "Heavy tourer" for long trips, winter season trips, etc, and the 520 is turning into my "light and fast" long distance style tourer.

I'll post a few pictures from this upcoming weekend.

Last edited by Bekologist; 08-09-06 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-09-06, 10:14 AM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done "lighter" touring since purchasing the Bike Friday this year and and also since buying a much lighter weight sleeping bag (you should see the gigantic Coleman I used to lug around), and I like it too, depending on the trip. Again, my little folder demands that I bring less, unless I use the suitcase/travel trailer thing, which I rarely do around here. Touring Thailand with the Bike Friday in June, though - I went ultralight.

However, I prefer to be an "everything but the kitchen sink" camper on long tours, even if I don't use it all. I like to have tons of junk on my Mercian, and though it doesn't fit into any sort of "less is more" maxim or ultralight backpacker's idea of Nirvana, it's what I like, and it makes me feel like I'm following the Boy Scout motto: "Be prepared." That thing is a battleaxe of a bike and can endure a ridiculous amount of weight, so I let it do what, uh, "I" designed it to do when I spec'd it out for Mercian to build. I guess I'm sort of the anti-Chouniard most of the time.
Old 08-09-06, 11:02 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Sounds like time to ditch the rear rack for carradice saddlebag and support frame.
Old 08-09-06, 11:10 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
where do the pretty girls ride if there's no rear rack?
Old 08-09-06, 11:45 AM
clayface
Pedalpower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well...we used to ride them aboard the top tube, between both arms. Only problem was when the bike had the rear brake cable running along the the top of the tube.
Old 08-09-06, 12:15 PM
Lolly Pop

Bikes: Gardin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
where do the pretty girls ride if there's no rear rack?
We have our own bikes.
Old 08-09-06, 12:47 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
...hoping someone would say that!
Old 08-09-06, 01:17 PM
coddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any itemised ultralight touring gear lists would be helpful if anyone can find the time, please? If they have to include pretty young ladies riding on the rear rack all the better. Just make sure they are of a lightweight version.
Old 08-09-06, 01:21 PM
Lolly Pop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the advantages of taking less stuff, is ending up with fewer panniers. Even empty, my panniers are surprisingly heavy. When I can get my stuff into just the two front panniers, instead of using front and back, I am lightening up by nearly 2 kilos!
Old 08-09-06, 01:22 PM
Lolly Pop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...hoping someone would say that!
Old 08-09-06, 03:14 PM
hoogie
aspiring wannabe

Bikes: trek 520, thorn nomad, giant yukon, avanti aggressor, bauer racing bike, couple of other projects ...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My touring gear loads continue to lighten up and make the bike more nimble and capable of riding longer distances in a day comfortably. I put down 135 miles on it Monday, including a mountain pass and about 35 miles of gravel and trail.

I'll post a few pictures from this upcoming weekend.
wow! i am impressed indeed ...

most i have ever covered is around 140km with a fully laden BOBYak ... in NZ, even in summer you have to be prepared for colder weather ...

on my first long tour, i carried way too much stuff ... i had even packed enough food for the entire trip, plus 2 days emergency food ...
on my south aussie tour, i carried two sets of thermal gear and two rain jackets ... SA is the driest state on the driest continent and the lowest daily temp was about 30degC ...

things you learn as you go!!!

look forward to your pics ...
Old 08-10-06, 05:33 PM
1-track-mind

Bikes: 92 Bridgestone xo-2 Turner Sultan

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Live and learn...

Just finished my first 7 day tour with a Bob and Topeak rear trunk with drop down panniers.
Carried way too much in the food and clothes department.
Need to get away from canned goods, but the water purifier was a keeper.
The BA seedhouse 3 was also a little extravagant for one person. but it was on sale.
My sleeping bag was the real killer, way too heavy. Any suggestions on a lightweight bag ?
Old 08-10-06, 05:50 PM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-track-mind
My sleeping bag was the real killer, way too heavy. Any suggestions on a lightweight bag ?
For an affordable ultralight, the REI Travel sack is a great choice. It stuffs into a bag about the size of a small loaf of bread and weighs a little over a pound.

The caveat is that it is meant for 55+ degree temps, so not the best thing for the winter unless you also wear warm clothing and a balaclava (which I have done).

link <--clicky
Old 08-15-06, 09:48 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
just pulled back in yesterday from a 220 mile overnighter...I know, not a lot, but 85 miles of it or so were on gravel....

here's a photo of my trek 520, fully loaded for camping with a tarp, sleeping system, thermarest, bivybag, warm clothes, stove, pot, first aid, bear rope, and etc sundries as well as food and over a gallon of water for those hot and dusty days that are a long while between potable water....and a photo of my stealth camp pitch.

Rode from Seattle up the iron horse trail, thru Snoqualmie Pass tunnel (longest open to hikers/bikers in the USA) and over to Cle Elum, then up past Roslyn and ronald to camp on the hills above Cle Elum Lake. 110 miles, Monday, repeat back to Seattle but took the interstate for about an hour dropping off Snoq Pass back to North Bend and on into Seattle.

Light weight is a big improvement for overnighters. I will still pack more traditionally for longer trips, but this ultralight summer system really rocked!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
silversleeper.jpg (79.6 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg
520lighttour.jpg (96.9 KB, 213 views)
Old 08-15-06, 10:33 AM
jrxl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Pine Tree air freshener!

Just curious, what route did you take from Seattle to/from North Bend?
Old 08-15-06, 12:32 PM
Lolly Pop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love your set-up Bek! What a way to travel!
Old 08-16-06, 02:11 AM
wheelin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alekhine
Touring Thailand with the Bike Friday in June, though - I went ultralight.

Where can I read about your trip? I live in Thailand and have done quite a bit of touring around the borders in the upper Thailand as well as into Laos and Cambodia.
Old 08-16-06, 08:06 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Here's a packing list of an ultralight kit, and what average weights are. I'm not going to break out the postal scale to weigh this stuff, but here goes.

TARP- Integral designs 5x8 Siltarp, 8 ounces.
BIVY/SLEEP SHELL- Adventure Medical kits emergency bivy, 12 ounces.
SLEEPING WARMTH - Down vest, 10 ounces. windstopper hat, 3 ounces.

STOVE- Trangia with the smallest tripod support, and the small pot, 'luminum windscreen, and pot lifter, 1 pound.

FIRST AID KIT 6 ounces.

CLOTHES extra wool t-shirt, wool leggings, knee warmers, off the bike shorts, 2 pounds.
SHELL, Patagonia dragonfly/houdini, 5 ounces.

what else did i bring? Oh, lets see, a bear rope for the food, and a stuff sack to hang it with, 4 ounces.

extra methanol for the stove, (didn't use much) 4 ounces.

assorted sundries like toilet paper, maps, trowel, sunscreen, toothbrush... 8 ounces.

TOTAL WEIGHT- Under 7 pounds.

Add the nylon bags on the bike, another 12 ounces or so..... hmm, plus food and water, there's the heavyweight stuff there.

I am confident, with a good grocery store every couple of hundred miles, i could ride this comfortably for a weeks' tour, during a typical summer weather window. For shoulder season and winter tours I will still load up the Long Haul Trucker, and pack along the kitchen sink and the camp chair (folding!)..

Hopefully this thread will encourage some of you to try a little lightening up in your touring kit. maybe not a big deal to those of you already accustomed to ultralight bike touring, but i feel pretty pleased with this new, lightweight sum of the parts of a lightweight camping kit.
Old 08-16-06, 04:07 PM
Lolly Pop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great list Bek. Thanks for sharing. I liked the look of that bivy bag in the pic. Thanks for including the name.
Old 08-16-06, 08:14 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That would be great above the trees, around here the bugs are way too fierce. Also for the weight of a tarp, and a bivy sack, I can have a tent. I actually took a tarp and bivy last fall thinking it would work but it was a serious failure and I bought a lightweight tent at the half-way mark.

I just wish I travelled more often where your system would work for me.
Old 08-16-06, 11:08 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
the bivy sack and the tarp weighs 20 ounces or less.

my lightest tent weighs 3 times that, and is larger to pack.

sure, when the bugs are bad you a) bring a bug net and bug spray, or b) bring a tent. yep.
Old 08-17-06, 07:16 PM
RiotBoi
bificurated

Bikes: Cannondale 3.0 Criterium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can make a similar (and far lighter) bivy sack by ducttaping two space blankets together... on one side only tape 3/4 of the way up though or its a REAL pain to get in/out. Add a lightweight fleece blanket/thermal undies and I've been comfy down to near freezing with it.

**Also, If you set the bivy bag properly when it's raining, you don't really need a tarp. You can fold the top edge of the bag and put an old curved tent pole in it to keep it up off you. If you really want you can make another "channel" for a straight one on the top of the bag going lengthwise to keep it up off of you while you sleep.
Old 08-17-06, 07:25 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you set the bivy bag properly when it's raining, you don't really need a tarp.
But if you set up your tarp properly when it's raining, you don't really need a bivy bag.
Old 08-17-06, 07:35 PM
RiotBoi
bificurated

Bikes: Cannondale 3.0 Criterium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tarps don't double as sleeping bags though.
Old 08-17-06, 07:48 PM
Shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did I miss the weight and content of the toolbag and spare parts?

Here's a packing list of an ultralight kit, and what average weights are. I'm not going to break out the postal scale to weigh this stuff, but here goes.

TARP- Integral designs 5x8 Siltarp, 8 ounces.
BIVY/SLEEP SHELL- Adventure Medical kits emergency bivy, 12 ounces.
SLEEPING WARMTH - Down vest, 10 ounces. windstopper hat, 3 ounces.

STOVE- Trangia with the smallest tripod support, and the small pot, 'luminum windscreen, and pot lifter, 1 pound.

FIRST AID KIT 6 ounces.

CLOTHES extra wool t-shirt, wool leggings, knee warmers, off the bike shorts, 2 pounds.
SHELL, Patagonia dragonfly/houdini, 5 ounces.

what else did i bring? Oh, lets see, a bear rope for the food, and a stuff sack to hang it with, 4 ounces.

extra methanol for the stove, (didn't use much) 4 ounces.

assorted sundries like toilet paper, maps, trowel, sunscreen, toothbrush... 8 ounces.

TOTAL WEIGHT- Under 7 pounds.

Add the nylon bags on the bike, another 12 ounces or so..... hmm, plus food and water, there's the heavyweight stuff there.

I am confident, with a good grocery store every couple of hundred miles, i could ride this comfortably for a weeks' tour, during a typical summer weather window. For shoulder season and winter tours I will still load up the Long Haul Trucker, and pack along the kitchen sink and the camp chair (folding!)..

Hopefully this thread will encourage some of you to try a little lightening up in your touring kit. maybe not a big deal to those of you already accustomed to ultralight bike touring, but i feel pretty pleased with this new, lightweight sum of the parts of a lightweight camping kit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.