Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Savannah to Wilmington NC

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-07, 03:44 PM
cmcanulty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I am thinking of a 2 week tour from Savannah to Wilmington NC this April. Any advice , input, references would be appreciated. Is this too far for 2 weeks with lots of sightseeing and detours to the coastal spots? Thanks, Carol M
Old 11-17-07, 07:46 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Here is a link to North Carolina biking maps.

Ray
Old 11-17-07, 08:08 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adventure Cycling, formerly Bikecentennial, has a route up the length of the East Coast. See if it goes where you want. Their published guides have details needed by cycle tourists.

I checked and the section guide for your area passes just west of Savannah and goes to Wilmington. Seems to be some 300 miles. Would that be one week instead of two?
Old 11-18-07, 07:03 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
Adventure Cycling, formerly Bikecentennial, has a route up the length of the East Coast. See if it goes where you want. Their published guides have details needed by cycle tourists.

I checked and the section guide for your area passes just west of Savannah and goes to Wilmington. Seems to be some 300 miles. Would that be one week instead of two?
Sounds about like 2 weeks to me

cmcanulty,

I am working in that general area (Charleston, SC) and could check out any local stuff you need. I know that US 17 and 17A run thru from Savanah to Wilmington. I also know there are stretches I don't even want to drive on!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-18-07, 05:46 PM
cmcanulty

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Savannah to Wilmington

I think it will be 2 weeks as we plan to camp and do a lot of sightseeing and out and back to several islands, plus we're old and decrepid! Thanks I will check out those maps. My plan is just bike around every day and see the sights with some forward progress every day. Probably 50 to 75 miles max as I have all the camping gear and my 7 lb dog, though she has to run up the hills if I can find any.
Old 11-20-07, 06:26 AM
baskinrobbin
uhmmmm?

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adventure cycling has the route you want. Sections 5 and 6 of the Atlantic Route.

https://www.adventurecycling.com

I've never taken the route, but check CGOAB's site
Old 11-26-07, 07:20 AM
RiotBoi
bificurated

Bikes: Cannondale 3.0 Criterium

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1000 on the stretch of 17 from gardens corner to charleston. NOT KIDDING, YOU WILL DIE. I believe the adventure cycling maps head up through walterboro and then there is a "sidetrip" to charleston. Heading north out of Charleston on 17 isn't unheard of, I've seen a handfull of people doing it and they seemed ok. To reiterate though DO NOT RIDE ON 17 FROM GARDENS CORNER TO CHARLESTON. About 4 years ago I met a couple who were heading south from New York, She got hit before then made it to jacksonboro and almost died(read that as massive head trauma with a helmet on)