Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

No more glass in the backpack.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 04:04 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love beer. And I love living within riding distance of several breweries that will refill/swap growlers (64 oz glass jugs) full of delicious, locally produced beer. In addition to supporting local brewing, this allows me to reduce the amount of 12 oz bottles that I would otherwise have to dispose of and support the manufacture of. Want to bring home some delectable, mouthwateringly fresh beer and reduce your carbon footprint? Buy a growler!

Every once in a while, as I'm pedaling around with a growler in my backpack, it occurs to me just how unpleasant it could be to crash with this big old glass jug on my back. The last two gnarly wrecks I had both left my flat on my back, and just thinking about adding some giant glass shards to that situation makes me shiver. So I tell myself that I really should use a pannier to transport beer, even if that's all I'm pedaling with and it fits easily into the pack. But I never remember this, at least not until I'm already halfway to the brewery or on the way back.

On the way back from a beer and grocery run last night, the bike went over on its side as I approached a stop sign. I'd one hand off of the bars signaling my stop, was braking with the other, and I'd let the front wheel meander into a two inch tall false curb where the ice from the parking lane meets the dry pavement. My knee was a little scraped and the handlebars were twisted out of alignment, but everything else looked cool, so I just wrenched the bars back and rode the rest of the way home.

Because it was a grocery run, I'd brought the panniers. If it'd just been just a beer run, I most likely wouldn't have. Then it's possible that the 2 inch hole in the pannier from the shattered growler would've been in my backpack, maybe all the way into my back. Instead of just needing hot water and duct tape to clean up the mess, I might've needed stitches. And I really can't afford a punctured kidney, I use those guys to safely filter all of that delicious beer through my system. So, no more glass in the backpack. I'd say no more crashing the bike, but I've broken that resolution so many times that I don't bother anymore.
Old 03-19-10, 07:10 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
So, no more glass in the backpack.
Yepp! That is a very unnecessary way to get injured, paralysed, killed...

Old 03-19-10, 09:03 PM
Midol_Mohawk
Powered by Veggies

Bikes: Two wheels, it goes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
speaking from my former job working for a local craft brewery, I have to agree about the awesomeness of growlers. however, I would never ever ever carry them on my back for the exact reason you just said. Furthermore, having gotten growlers for free (yeah free beer I know right) I have drank enough of them to know how easily they can break. The thinnest part of the glass is right where the wall of the growler and the bottom of the growler meet. If you have ever had a growler explode (and I have multiple times), that will be the point where it breaks every time. So what does this have to do with carrying it in your backpack? Two things, one that spot will get a decent amount of rubbing and bumping as you ride, especially if you get out of the saddle. Secondly, if you pedal with any sort of real force (especially out of the saddle), you will be shaking that sucker up. Since beer is full of C02 and most companies use cheap caps, the chances for the cap being on too tight and the C02 having nowhere to go is pretty high. I wouldnt wanna shake up a can of soda and open it up, let alone a 64oz glass bottle.

Good call on the keeping it in the panniers idea.
Old 03-19-10, 09:37 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I always transport my growlers in the panniers... also you must be sure to purchase two(growlers and panniers that is) - in order to balance out the bicycle. I also put a bit of foam at the bottom of the pannier - probably overkill.
Old 03-19-10, 10:34 PM
RI_Swamp_Yankee
The Fred Menace!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A folding grocery pannier is an essential when going to get a growler from the brewpub, because you can fit two growlers in there with a little cardboard or a sweater between 'em. Yes, having your life's blood drained from your body by a jagged jug-neck through the spleen would be tough luck, sure, but running out of beer? Now that's a tragedy too terrifying to risk! Stay safe, use a pannier. Sobriety is no laughing matter.
Old 03-19-10, 10:39 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Time to kick it up a notch!
Old 03-19-10, 11:07 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ Hell yeah! Except that the constant trips back and forth from the brewery help to counter the growing beer belly. Maybe once I hit 50 and cease to give a funk.
Old 03-19-10, 11:46 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Safe beer transport is a must!
Old 03-20-10, 12:06 AM
nebuer16

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Cannondale CAADX, Niner EMD, Cinelli SC (1965)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer to transport it in my stomach
Old 03-20-10, 12:12 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
I just drank one of these guys' 22s and remembered the bike to have for when you go pro:
Old 03-20-10, 12:12 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I'm thinking it should be bungied directly to the rack. Point the neck to the rear and see if it doesn't help discourage tailgaters.
Old 03-20-10, 08:48 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
How about a Camelback? That would provide a cushion if you do crash again.
Old 03-21-10, 06:12 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that riding with a Camelback full of beer would just ensure that I crash more often. And even if I didn't, the beer wouldn't make it home nearly as often, which would piss off the Lady G'Cakes.
Old 03-22-10, 05:01 PM
Midol_Mohawk
Powered by Veggies

Bikes: Two wheels, it goes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should hook up a corny to your bike. Would. be. awesome.
Old 03-22-10, 07:48 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I just drank one of these guys' 22s and remembered the bike to have for when you go pro:
There are so many captions going through my head for that photo and they won't stop coming!
Old 03-22-10, 07:51 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My next rig!
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Old 03-23-10, 06:12 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's my commuter!
Old 03-23-10, 09:35 AM
andymi86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually took a fall almost two weeks ago with a growler in my messenger bag. I ride my bike to New Belgium Brewery once or twice a week. I was on my way home and took a right hand corner at speed just like I normally do. The problem was I didn't see how much dust was on the road left over from gravel that had been laid down all winter. As I leaned into the corner my bike lost all traction and went out from underneath me. I was fine, but shaken up enough that I forgot about the beer. I walked a block to a place I was going to pick up dinner and locked my bike up. As I bent over to lock my bike I heard something pour out of my bag. I look down and notice a nice puddle of beer on the ground.... Fortunately, the glass was intact, but the seal on the cap had broken and about half my growler had emptied into my bag (waterproof means liquid cant get out very easier either ) I keep a towel in my bag to make carrying the bottle a little more comfortable, which may have been enough to keep the bottle from breaking, and it soaked up the beer that was in my bag.

Honestly, I will continue to carry my growler in my bag. Even if it were to break, I couldn't see the glass puncturing the bag..it's pretty tough. I would be afraid that a growler in a pannier would get super shaken up since it will see a lot more road vibration than if it were in a bag on my back.

Last edited by andymi86; 03-23-10 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-23-10, 10:44 AM
Praxis
Not a legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=andymi86;10565345
Honestly, I will continue to carry my growler in my bag. Even if it were to break, I couldn't see the glass puncturing the bag..it's pretty tough. I would be afraid that a growler in a pannier would get super shaken up since it will see a lot more road vibration than if it were in a bag on my back.[/QUOTE]

I'd consider using my messenger bag to carry a growler, largely because I don't have a rack+panniers. However, broken glass is damn sharp--don't be fooling yourself about the glass not puncturing the bag. Damage might be mitigated by the fact that the glass would be more slicing than puncturing, and that you might not be grinding your back into it (and you do have one more layer as you mentioned). But you'd probably get hurt more.

Besides, we have empirical evidence above that the glass will poke through a pannier.
Old 03-23-10, 10:51 AM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Uh, what's a growler?
Old 03-23-10, 11:28 AM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon
Uh, what's a growler?
64 ounce refillable jug. You can buy one from your local microbrew, have it filled and take it home. Then, when it's empty, you take it back and do it again! It's awesome because fresh beer is awesome, and it cuts down on the amount of non-reusable bottles in the trash can.
Old 03-23-10, 05:04 PM
CaptainCool
``````````````

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How about an insert for the backpack when you're going to be carrying glass? A large cutting board, a piece of thrift-store leather jacket, a thin piece of wood or fake tile?
Old 03-23-10, 06:04 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
I love beer. And I love living within riding distance of several breweries that will refill/swap growlers (64 oz glass jugs) full of delicious, locally produced beer. In addition to supporting local brewing, this allows me to reduce the amount of 12 oz bottles that I would otherwise have to dispose of and support the manufacture of. Want to bring home some delectable, mouthwateringly fresh beer and reduce your carbon footprint? Buy a growler!

Every once in a while, as I'm pedaling around with a growler in my backpack, it occurs to me just how unpleasant it could be to crash with this big old glass jug on my back. The last two gnarly wrecks I had both left my flat on my back, and just thinking about adding some giant glass shards to that situation makes me shiver. So I tell myself that I really should use a pannier to transport beer, even if that's all I'm pedaling with and it fits easily into the pack. But I never remember this, at least not until I'm already halfway to the brewery or on the way back.

On the way back from a beer and grocery run last night, the bike went over on its side as I approached a stop sign. I'd one hand off of the bars signaling my stop, was braking with the other, and I'd let the front wheel meander into a two inch tall false curb where the ice from the parking lane meets the dry pavement. My knee was a little scraped and the handlebars were twisted out of alignment, but everything else looked cool, so I just wrenched the bars back and rode the rest of the way home.

Because it was a grocery run, I'd brought the panniers. If it'd just been just a beer run, I most likely wouldn't have. Then it's possible that the 2 inch hole in the pannier from the shattered growler would've been in my backpack, maybe all the way into my back. Instead of just needing hot water and duct tape to clean up the mess, I might've needed stitches. And I really can't afford a punctured kidney, I use those guys to safely filter all of that delicious beer through my system. So, no more glass in the backpack. I'd say no more crashing the bike, but I've broken that resolution so many times that I don't bother anymore.
I use a hard cooler strapped to the rack... don't know if it would prevent shattered glass if it went over, but it keeps the beer cold, which is good enough for me. I fill it full of ice and the empty growler before going to the pub... then I know I have just enough ice when I put the growler back. It's one of those big lunch coolers with the peaked top... the growler just snugs in there sort of at an odd angle.

I still have to let the beer settle when I get home anyway.
Old 03-23-10, 06:29 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have not tried carrying a growler yet but have not shaken up cases of beer carried in the Freeloaders on my Big Dummy. The long wheelbase of a longtail cargo bike gives a considerably smoother ride than a normal bike though no problems noted with shaken up beer from carrying in normal grocery panniers either.

I definitely feel carrying glass containers in a backpack or messenger bag is a poor idea.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 03-23-10, 07:56 PM
ultramagnetic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can ride to Midnight Sun for growler fills?

Consider me jealous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.