Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Going back

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Going back

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 05:01 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Going back

How many posters here have enjoyed a region or route on a cycling tour so much that they have returned for a second experience?

Or maybe there was unfinished business?

Or is there somewhere you have toured by another means and you now want to do it by bicycle?
Old 01-25-11, 05:36 AM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i passed through Wales last year by train heading to Worcester, and it looked from where i was sitting great cycling country so i would like to give it a go maybe this year.
i played golf in Kerry many moons ago and it always stuck in my head as a really beautiful part of Ireland,so that's on the list as well.
Old 01-25-11, 05:50 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
In my case, I spent many years traveling by motorcycle. Now I'm in the process of going back to many of the places I passed through, too quickly, and seeing them by bicycle.

But there's also a lot of places I haven't been to that I need to go see.
Old 01-25-11, 05:57 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Ireland three times (gradually working my way up the west coast)
Slovenia twice (West then the East)
Pyrenees twice (middle bit then east)

Its a bit strange touring the same place twice, things change usually with more development and not always for the better for us cyclists. Sometimes there is a bit of overlap in my tours but I try to see new parts of the country.
Old 01-25-11, 07:54 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I rode the Great Southern Randonnee, a 1200K randonnee, in 2004 (Rowan rode it too, but not with me), and along the way I noticed a few places where I thought I'd like to spend a bit more time.

So, now that I've moved to Australia, Rowan and I have spent a long weekend in the Grampians doing a hub-and-spoke tour, and a long-long weekend at Port Fairy doing a hub-and-spoke tour, and we've been in the Anglesea area doing a 150 km ride in the daylight along the Great Ocean Road ... all places along the route of the Great Southern Randonnee. It was really nice to see those areas again, in daylight, at a more relaxed pace.

When I toured Australia in 2004, before and after the Great Southern, it was rather a high-speed tour ... not much time for lingering anywhere. But there were areas I wanted to see again.

So when I came back to Australia in 2008 to visit Rowan, we did an 8-day tour down to Wilson's Prom and back ... that was one of the places I wanted to see again. We've been down in that general area several times now for hub-and-spoke tours, Audax Australia events, etc. And I've been eyeing that vicinity for a weekend trip sometime before the end of summer. It's a beautiful area.

3 weeks of the 2004 tour were spent in Tasmania ... and not long after I got here in 2009, Rowan and I returned to Tasmania for 3 weeks and travelled to many of the places I'd cycled (and a lot more). The 2009 tour, however, was all done by van ... I was recovering from a serious case of DVT which had landed me in hospital for 2 weeks, and walking slowly for short distances was about all I could manage. But it was interesting driving somewhere rather than cycling ... we covered a lot more distance ... and some of the hills didn't seem quite as challenging as they seemed when I cycled it! I think it can be good to see an area via different methods of transportation.

Those are all Australian examples ... I could go on about Canadian examples too.
Old 01-25-11, 08:26 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I liked the Colorado GDMBR section of my last tour so much, and disliked Northern Utah so much, that I'm going to ride the Kokopelli trail from Colorado to Southern Utah this spring.
Old 01-25-11, 09:43 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I went back for a second helping of Icefields Parkway.

I liked CO so much when I toured here that I moved here, and have done a few more tours here since.

I'll go back to New Zealand someday.
Old 01-25-11, 10:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Did ACA's Northern Tier route in '99. Returned the following year to do the Seattle to Glacier N.P. portion as part of a tour ending in Cortez, CO. The original plan was to continue across the country, but I let my heart talk my head into going to see a young vixen who would be working at Mesa Verde N.P. I should have taken that left turn at Fairplay, CO and stuck to my original plan. Definitely have some unfinished business there.

I did some train travel in Andalucia and thought it looked like a great place to explore by bike. I was correct.
Old 01-25-11, 10:16 AM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went to Tuscany in 2006, Sicily in 2008. Not sure if that really constitutes "going back", those are two rather different parts of the same country. I'm going back to Italy in 2012, or at least that's the plan. I'll be doing a second, somewhat longer stay in Florence, and exploring more of northern Tuscany this time.
Old 01-25-11, 04:49 PM
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had two attempts at the TransAM Trail....the third attempt (2012) is a start over from Yorktown. And a Thousand miles I have already seen. I have a couple of ride partners in 2012, it wouldn't be fair to them to not start at Yorktown...besides, I'm sure there is a ton I missed in the miles already ridden! Namely, I'm positive I wasn't chased by all the dogs in Kentucky!!

OH! I forgot RAGBRAI. This year I'm registering (as always) but I'm going to bag it. I'm taking my Surly LHT instead of my Aegis, and riding with full panniers, tent, cooking gear etc. The route will be announced in a few days, so I'll be able to see how much "hurt" I'm in for.

Last edited by Gus Riley; 01-25-11 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-25-11, 05:06 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by valygrl
I went back for a second helping of Icefields Parkway.
I have returned to the Icefields Parkway, and surrounding area too many times to count. I cycled there as a child and I returned to cycle there as an adult. I've done a several randonneuring events there, day tours, and longer tours.

There are two places I really miss in Canada ... the Rockies and the lakes in Manitoba.
Old 01-25-11, 05:42 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Didn't Thomas Wolfe say that you could never go back again?
And Hericlitus said you could never step into the same river twice??

If you return for the same experience, you are likely to be disappointed.
But if you return simply to enjoy anew, you can be pleasantly surprised.
Old 01-25-11, 06:07 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by jamawani

For me, it's more about returning to take my time and have a better look at things.
Old 01-25-11, 06:11 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani

+1 Generally speaking, it always seems to lose a little "magic" the second time around.
Old 01-25-11, 06:52 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by robow
+1 Generally speaking, it always seems to lose a little "magic" the second time around.
I have found the opposite to be true ... I may like an area when I travel through it the first time, but will "fall in love" with an area when I go back again ... and again ... and again.

When I cycle through an area, I see the road I've chosen to cycle and whatever is on either side of that road, and a little bit of the towns I go through. When I return to an area, and especially if I'm doing a hub-and-spoke tour there, I may cycle the same road I cycled before, but I will also cycle roads in all different directions around ... really exploring the area. I will return to the same towns, but I'll explore them rather than just cycling through. And I'll discover all sorts of things I didn't see when I cycled through the first time.

For example, I cycled through Toora in 2004 on the way to Wilson's Prom, and that is a pretty area. But there is absolutely no indication from the road that there is a fairly large beautiful waterfall over the hills just behind Toora. We spent a weekend in Toora last year to explore the area, and discovered that there is more to the place than I would have guessed!
Old 01-25-11, 06:54 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Interesting. The one place that I wanted to go back to was Flanders... in fact, the World War One theatre across Northern France and Belgium. It had such an impact on me in 2003 that it seemed natural that in 2007 (the years coinciding with Paris Brest Paris) that I take Machka through so she could experience it, too.

For me, returning is more an enhancement of the previous experience. We've talked recently about going back to the south coast of the state where we live, and there are parts of Tasmania that I would have no trouble revisiting. Likewise Canada, and I would like to go back to the New England area of the US.
Old 01-25-11, 07:14 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have lost track of the number of times that I have returned to Prince Edward County, Ontario. I first "discovered" the region in the late 1980s or early 1990s. In 2009, I visited three times! It is my idea of a cycling paradise. The magic has never diminished for me.

The area has changed plenty over the years, but mostly for the better: more bicycle lanes on the (so-called) main roads; more accommodation and restaurant options; and more (and better) wineries, farmer's markets, cheese factories, and art galleries.
Old 01-25-11, 07:39 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Interesting. The one place that I wanted to go back to was Flanders... in fact, the World War One theatre across Northern France and Belgium..
I'm feeling the pull to return to the Western Front. When I was 7, my dad took us to Ypres. I think it was where Canadians first saw action in WWl. My Grandfather was gassed and wounded there in April 1915 in the Second Battle of Ypres.

Right now, my thoughts are about returning in April 2015, The Centennial of the Second Battle of Ypres. I could do the whole Western Front by bicycle in a couple of weeks... Ypres, the Somme, Vimy Ridge, Verdun. I'd need to take some decent clothes because touring battlefields and cemetaries in lycra just isn't on.
Old 01-25-11, 09:28 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've done the Great Allegheny Passage and C & O three times, but each time I've done something differently on the trip. And I like the area so much I'm planning on moving there.

Old 01-25-11, 09:37 PM
Tansy

Bikes: Novara Safari(2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 2009 I had planned on biking up the north shore of lake superior, then up into the superior national forest and making a big loop back to Minneapolis. Big nasty cold front made me abort plans and head home early.

In 2010 I biked across Wisconsin, Michigan, and on the way home decided to retrace the route I never finished, but family problems happened I had to skip it.

One of these years.
Old 01-25-11, 10:25 PM
gulfislander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have time for a long tour, but the Victoria-California trip I did last year starts right outside my door, so I'm doing it again. It may not be as interesting as most of the others here, but its a damned nice ride that takes not a lot of time.
Old 01-25-11, 11:17 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally posted by: jamawani

I think you hit it exactly right. My wife and I have talked about this quite a bit and decided that you could take the same route, the same time of year, and with the same equipment; and have a completely different trip.

We do find ourselves revisting the Puget Sound areas, San Juan Islands, Vancouver Island, Gulf Islands and the Sunshine Coast of BC.

gulfislander, It is ironic that you come our way on your tours, and one of our favorite spots is in your neighborhood. It just shows that we are all really blessed to be living in the Pacific Northwest-- even including parts of California
Old 01-25-11, 11:24 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gulfislander
I don't have time for a long tour, but the Victoria-California trip I did last year starts right outside my door, so I'm doing it again. It may not be as interesting as most of the others here, but its a damned nice ride that takes not a lot of time.
Oh that's an awesome tour!

Reminds me, I've toured through Big Sur 4 times.
Old 01-26-11, 03:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by valygrl
I liked CO so much when I toured here that I moved here, and have done a few more tours here since.
I liked Australia so much when I toured here that I moved here, and have done a few more tours here since.

When I tour, I do entertain the question, "Could I live here" as I'm cycling through an area. There have been several areas where the answer is "Yes".
Old 01-26-11, 12:22 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
I rode the Oregon coast 24 years ago and returned last year. I covered a little more ground on the recent trip and enjoyed it as much but probably wouldn't go back due to too many other areas to explore. Definitely more traffic the last time. Another favorite area that I have explored a couple times and would go back to is Door County Wisconsin. There are still many things to see and nice quiet roads to criss cross in different ways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.