Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hosts for Cross Country Tandem Tourists?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-12, 10:50 PM
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently completed a TransAm tour on my single. As a result of my tour stories my better-half wants to tour the Southern Tier on our tandem. I think it is a wonderful idea! While on my TransAm I utilized Warmshowers Hosts extensively (and will on this Southern Tier Tour as well). I think I had heard of a similar host organization, but it was cross country tandem oriented? Am I having a senior moment, or is there a Warmshowers-like organization out there for tandem teams?
Old 10-03-12, 05:58 AM
PedalPink

Bikes: 2010 Calfee Tetra Tandem, 2005 Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, El Conquistador de Montanas, Schwinn Twin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, there is and it is called TCA Tandem Hospitality Homes. Tandem Club of America has a description of the program on their website at www.tandemclub.org. "A Hospitality Home provides touring cyclists a place to stay for a night It need not be fancy, a spare bedroom or tent site will do. The cyclist will need shower facilities and an opportunity to launder their clothes and a meal."

I've been a warmshowers host for more than five years, and have enjoyed every passing cyclists' visit. The only tandem I have had overnight was the best - it was a Canadian family traveling on two tandems and a tag-along with their boys, ages 4, 6, and 8. They spent 18 months on the road traveling from Canada to Mexico along the coast, and back thru the midwest. It was a pleasure to be part of one night of their journey!
Old 10-03-12, 09:24 AM
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks for the info and link PedalPink. We live in "rural" Illinois, we are Warmshowers Hosts as well. Even though we live far off the main bicycle routes we have hosted guests too. Like you we have totally enjoyed their company! My experiences as a guest were absolutely wonderful as well...all the way across the US!

Originally Posted by PedalPink
Yes, there is and it is called TCA Tandem Hospitality Homes. Tandem Club of America has a description of the program on their website at www.tandemclub.org. "A Hospitality Home provides touring cyclists a place to stay for a night It need not be fancy, a spare bedroom or tent site will do. The cyclist will need shower facilities and an opportunity to launder their clothes and a meal."

I've been a warmshowers host for more than five years, and have enjoyed every passing cyclists' visit. The only tandem I have had overnight was the best - it was a Canadian family traveling on two tandems and a tag-along with their boys, ages 4, 6, and 8. They spent 18 months on the road traveling from Canada to Mexico along the coast, and back thru the midwest. It was a pleasure to be part of one night of their journey!