Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Which Surly for first world touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-14, 12:53 PM
gregw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which would consider better for first world touring. the Ogre (29" wheels) or Troll (26" wheels)? they have the same frame, just different wheel size. I consider the 26" wheel to be very strong and lots of width / tread options, But I'm not very familiar with 29".
Old 06-16-14, 01:20 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
29" (also 700c) slightly higher standover, more availability in road tires, potential for toe overlap with smaller frame sizes (issue on LHT, not sure on Ogre). I have a troll and like it. Some folks say they observe the 29" wheels go over objects better, but I have not experienced this. Personally, I can't tell the difference in 26 vs 700c on a similar frame (I went from 700c LHT to 26" DT).

My concerns for touring with either of these are the horizontal dropouts with fenders make rear tire changes a bit of a hassle. Front fenders will need some kind of extention down from the fork crown and some spacers around the brake caliper. In other words, go with the one you think looks better (assuming they both fit).