Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Master PIU rebuild advice

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 06:43 PM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts

I bought a Colnago Master PIU frame from Colorado Cyclist in early 2000 and due to finances at the time, had Colorado Cyclist build the bike kit with Ultegra. I always regretted not putting Italian components on an Italian classic. Does mid 1990's qualify for classic? I am not sure what year the frame is but since I bought it on clearance, it must have been sitting around in the warehouse for awhile.

I rode it for about five years but due to time, took up running and the bike has been hanging in the garage unused for almost 15 years. I just had a hip replacement and I'm not supposed to run anymore so I want to start riding again.

I am considering re-building the frame from scratch using Campagnolo, either Record or Super Record. Will the frame accomidate current Group-sets? What about EPS or would that defeat the purpose?

Would appreciate suggestions how how to do the frame justice in addition to the Campy Groupsets; wheels, stem, handlebars, seat, etc. I'm not a mechanic and would have someone assemble it for me but I can start thinking about acquiring everything I need.

Thank you

Last edited by Midway; 02-08-19 at 10:57 AM. Reason: added picture
Likes For Midway:
Old 02-07-19, 07:02 PM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
This is a beautiful bike. I will certainly look at advices you will receive because I have the same dilemma
You can look at my post: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...need-help.html
Old 02-07-19, 07:12 PM
Midway

Originally Posted by fraba
This is a beautiful bike. I will certainly look at advices you will receive because I have the same dilemma
You can look at my post: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...need-help.html
I saw yours just as I was posting my. Quite a coincidence. I will follow yours as well. Thanks.
Old 02-07-19, 07:12 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
My advice is ride as it is for awhile. You won't lose anything and maybe you will be better able to decide what you need.
Should be no problem fitting a modern groupset on it.
Old 02-07-19, 07:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Why not learn to do the work yourself? Especially if you are going to be riding instead of running. Being able to handle little fiddly things yourself instead of going to a shop is really great.

Also in many ways building from the frame up with a full group is easier than piecemeal worlk, you see how everything goes together and the fiddly part of using non matching parts is minimized

Agree with the idea of riding a bit now to help figure out what you want

Old 02-07-19, 07:21 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Your lovely Master Piu looks like an early 1990's example to me. A beautiful bike and it must be hard to look at without being able to ride it.

I would chase a later Campagnolo C-Record groupset or an early 1990's Campagnolo Record or Chorus groupset with their early 'brifters'. I like the 1995 version of the Record series myself. They won't change gears like the newer stuff but they do look the part. Anything around the early 90's Campagnolo era would suit.

I hate saying this but your Ultegra gruppo does look good on your frame.

What a beauty! Congratulations on buying an older, more classic bike when you had the chance of getting a 2000 model.

Footnote: Did you know that the 'Piu' refers to the internal routing of the rear brake cable within the top tube?

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 02-07-19 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 07:38 PM
Midway

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Why not learn to do the work yourself? Especially if you are going to be riding instead of running. Being able to handle little fiddly things yourself instead of going to a shop is really great.

Also in many ways building from the frame up with a full group is easier than piecemeal worlk, you see how everything goes together and the fiddly part of using non matching parts is minimized

Agree with the idea of riding a bit now to help figure out what you want
I took it out once in between rain and snow and have had it on the trainer for a few weeks while I rehab from my hip replacement I had on November 27th. I will get out and ride as the weather permits.

I also just ordered an endurance style bike and won't be left stranded if I do start to work on a rebuild. I'm in no hurry but have never felt right after forgoing Campy for Shimano.

I might be willing to do the work myself but it will take me some time to figure everything out. Thanks.
Old 02-07-19, 11:09 PM
Midway

Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Your lovely Master Piu looks like an early 1990's example to me. A beautiful bike and it must be hard to look at without being able to ride it.

I would chase a later Campagnolo C-Record groupset or an early 1990's Campagnolo Record or Chorus groupset with their early 'brifters'. I like the 1995 version of the Record series myself. They won't change gears like the newer stuff but they do look the part. Anything around the early 90's Campagnolo era would suit.

I hate saying this but your Ultegra gruppo does look good on your frame.

What a beauty! Congratulations on buying an older, more classic bike when you had the chance of getting a 2000 model.

Footnote: Did you know that the 'Piu' refers to the internal routing of the rear brake cable within the top tube?
I thought PIU meant Plus? I did know about the internal routing. I am not finding any current groups in silver; I assume that isn't an option anymore? That is unfortunate. I prefer to stay with silver. The Ultegra does give me that. Thanks.
Old 02-07-19, 11:38 PM
flyingPiggy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wow this truly is a beautiful example. I have Piu too with Shimano 7400. I was thinking about doing what you think of doing but instead I got me DeRosa with C-record
Here is What I was contemplating...
C-Record with Cobalto (I do not like Delta omg) or I could go crazy and do 50th Anni (I personally think that would really go great with your frame albeit not satisfy purists), Shamal Wheelset...so iconic.
What ever you do... I think it will turn out great! I wish I could see the frame in person... Just like a beautiful star lit sky, pictures don't do justice.
Old 02-08-19, 09:56 AM
Midway

Originally Posted by flyingPiggy
wow this truly is a beautiful example. I have Piu too with Shimano 7400. I was thinking about doing what you think of doing but instead I got me DeRosa with C-record
Here is What I was contemplating...
C-Record with Cobalto (I do not like Delta omg) or I could go crazy and do 50th Anni (I personally think that would really go great with your frame albeit not satisfy purists), Shamal Wheelset...so iconic.
What ever you do... I think it will turn out great! I wish I could see the frame in person... Just like a beautiful star lit sky, pictures don't do justice.
The link to this restoration is crazy; I can dream of doing something like this anyway. The Video title says Master PIU but I don't think it is one.

I don't know much about Campagnolo Potenza. Is it comparable to Record? Thanks.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x63hxy7
Old 02-08-19, 10:07 AM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Midway
The link to this restoration is crazy; I can dream of doing something like this anyway. The Video title says Master PIU but I don't think it is one.

Certainly not comparable to Record. I read the it is close to Shimano Ultegra. Maybe a bit under... Here is a link where the two group sets are compared. https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...imano-ultegra/
Old 02-08-19, 10:17 AM
flyingPiggy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I will be honest, I am not big fan of four armed modern components on a vintage frames... that is one of the reasons why I like c-record so much. Having said that, yes I think it is compatible to have Record and Potenza mixed in together. Just make sure that they are from the same era. I think around 2015, they changed cable pull a bit and that kindda messed up things IIRC.
Old 02-08-19, 11:57 AM
Midway

My frame has a few light scratches in the paint due to some minor falls and I would like to touch it up. The black paint is metallic with specs of many other colors. Any suggestions on how to match it?

This picture highlights the paint. It is not that noticeable to the naked eye.

I emailed Colnago for a suggestion but assume the chances they know how to source the paint is a long shot.

Thanks

Old 02-08-19, 10:41 PM
flyingPiggy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My frame has a few light scratches in the paint due to some minor falls and I would like to touch it up. The black paint is metallic with specs of many other colors. Any suggestions on how to match it?
I think I've seen something like that in art store... you might be able to find something like that in automotive paints too...
Try searching for 'black paint with flake', quick google does yield something but I wouldn't buy it unless I see in person.
Good luck!
Old 02-09-19, 12:06 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

I thought PIU meant Plus? I did know about the internal routing. I am not finding any current groups in silver; I assume that isn't an option anymore? That is unfortunate. I prefer to stay with silver. The Ultegra does give me that. Thanks.
Hi Midway, I think you are correct in saying Piu means Plus but the plus is the internal routing of the brake cable. There is another difference from the Master model but I just can't think what that is off hand.

Great bike - love it and it does 'scream' SILVER as a component colour/finish.
Old 02-09-19, 02:25 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Hi Midway, I think you are correct in saying Piu means Plus but the plus is the internal routing of the brake cable. There is another difference from the Master model but I just can't think what that is off hand.

Great bike - love it and it does 'scream' SILVER as a component colour/finish.
Internal routing and lug design. Master having conventional looking lugs and Piu having the extra "points".

I wrote about it here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-thread-3.html
Old 02-09-19, 03:28 AM
Gary Fountain

Good on ya styggno1 - yes the extra lug points. And may I say, you have a beautiful bike.
Old 02-09-19, 11:32 AM
Midway

Originally Posted by styggno1
Internal routing and lug design. Master having conventional looking lugs and Piu having the extra "points".

I wrote about it here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-thread-3.html
Beautiful bike. That is inspiring.
Old 02-10-19, 06:34 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts
I had to ask myself the same question. I have a 92ish. I was going to either go full retro mod... newer 11 speed campy. OR my favorite Era is late 80s super record.. As seen in my pics. GREAT bike, either way it will work well.

I had to ask myself the same question. I have a 92ish. I was going to either go full retro mod... newer 11 speed campy. OR my favorite Era is late 80s super record.. As seen in my pics. GREAT bike, either way it will work well.
Old 02-10-19, 09:33 PM
obit

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool frame

what a great bike!
Old 02-10-19, 10:25 PM
Midway

Originally Posted by jjhabbs

Beautiful bike, great work. What components, stem, wheels etc. did you decide on?
Old 02-10-19, 10:43 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts
Beautiful bike, great work. What components, stem, wheels etc. did you decide on?
Here is a video of the bicycle. any questions feelf free to ask

Old 02-11-19, 12:30 AM
Gary Fountain

Very nice Colnago jjhabbs in the Buckler team colours and a Master Piu frame at that. It looks fantastic with the Campagnolo Super Record components but the original racing bikes that Buckler used were fitted with Suntour Superbe Pro stuff. Personally, I think C-Record would also suit your frame. My vote is to leave it as is.
Old 11-21-23, 06:03 AM
JRD

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Composite with Campagnolo Record 11 Groupo - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts
My current project just finished in the chrome shop and will be powder coated close black with silver decals and then clear coated! I am doing a Neo Retro Build.

Colnago Master Piu'
Likes For JRD:
Old 11-21-23, 06:59 AM
xpacpal1x

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Master Piu

A Master Piu frame I’ve been saving for a rainy day…NOS, never built up. BTW, how do these ride? Do the Gilco tubes or straight forks impart any discernible feel or character to the ride?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.