Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-26-19, 10:29 AM
bikerguyin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'd like to get into cycling because I have read it significantly improves your life because you aren't driving in a car all of the time. This is interesting to me. I guess I live in a suburban area that has a lot of roads so I'd love to get some direction on where to get the best road bike for my situation.

I'd be doing maybe 5-10 miles every other day. I have a gym habit so hopefully this will replace that. (cost less money, less time getting in and out of the parking lot)
Old 12-26-19, 11:28 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-26-19, 11:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Go to Walmart or any big-box store, or much better, any local bike co-op if your town or city has one, and get the cheapest bike you can. See if you actually ride it.

Five miles on a bike is 25 minutes or so ... a pretty short ride. (and for all you speed demons ... yeah, brag elsewhere. Five miles in 25 minutes for an absolute beginner rider is a conservative but not unrealistic expectation.) Unless you live in very hilly terrain, a single-speed bike should be fine. Very little to maintain, very little to adjust.

If it turns out you really like cycling and are riding more miles and/or more often (5 miles on a bike won't replace a good workout in a gym unless you push yourself to your limit the whole way---not enough time to get the good aerobic benefits) then you can start looking at what local bike shops offer----not to buy, just to get a feel for what is out there. Also visit the websites of Giant, Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale---again, just to see what sort of bikes are offered at what price point. You will probably see that all those companies offer about the same bike for any given price point .... but you won't want to get even a "cheap"one unless you know you are going to get good use out of it.

The least expensive bike I would recommend for someone who really wanted to ride bicycles would probably cost about $1000----and for $100 you could get a suitable single-speed and do your ten miles a day in total joy.

Until you are really sure how and how much you want to ride (and believe me, not many people know for about the first year) I cannot recommend dropping a grand or more on a bike. if you find you really like riding, I cannot recommend spending much less.

In any case, I suggest going to some local bike shops and seeing what they have there. Do Not buy anything. There are so many choices to make, and until you really know what you want, you cannot buy it. Just look at the bikes. Maybe they will have a used bike which fits you, at a reasonable price .... maybe you can take some test rides (but be warned---if you don't know anything about bikes (and even if you do) you cannot learn much in a few minutes' test ride. You need 30-60 minutes on the bike to even know if it fits---almost any bike could feel okay for the first several miles ... )

Cycling si great---I think it is safe to assume that most people who post here will agree. However, it is not equally great for everyone. A lot of people think they are going to love cycling---and people like me scour craigslist to buy their barely used bikes for one third their initial sale price once the owner realizes he or she doesn't really ride.

You don't need all the bells and whistles to get started. You just need a working bike which fits your body, so you can start taking it around the neighborhood every evening, to see how you like it. After a few weeks, you will probably notice that either you haven't ridden in a few days or more ... or that you are riding longer and farther than you thought you would. Then you can start deciding about where and how you like to ride, and start homing in on what kind of bike will deliver the kind of ride you like.

But ... if you absolutely have to buy an expensive bike form the start .... the first thing to do is set your budget. We can help you from there.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-26-19, 12:25 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
My advice: drive to work, ride a bike for pleasure and to have a place to put your excess dollars. Don't mix the two.
Old 01-06-20, 01:24 AM
onepusher

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerguyin
Hi, I'd like to get into cycling because I have read it significantly improves your life because you aren't driving in a car all of the time. This is interesting to me. I guess I live in a suburban area that has a lot of roads so I'd love to get some direction on where to get the best road bike for my situation.

I'd be doing maybe 5-10 miles every other day. I have a gym habit so hopefully this will replace that. (cost less money, less time getting in and out of the parking lot)
Good to hear you're interested in cycling but, it is definitely not a cheap hobby.
Old 01-06-20, 04:36 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerguyin

Welcome and congratulations on your decision.
Really it’s best to find a good Bike Co-op or a good bike shop in your area for advice on what bike to buy and bike maps and best routes to ride. Also you will need a good U-lock for it if you ride it to the gym. Stay away from cheap Department/Box store bikes. They are made to ride maybe 25 miles where a good bike should last you at least 20-30 thousand miles. No need to spend lots of money, I just bought a new 2020 Specialized Sirrus bike at a reputable bike shop on sale for $359. It came with a free tune up, life time frame and two years on components warranty. Lots of good bike shops have workshops to teach you how fix flats and how to work on your bike. Many in my area do this for little or no charge. A good bike shop will make sure the bike fits you and is set up correctly and is safe to ride.
Old 01-06-20, 04:51 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by onepusher
Good to hear you're interested in cycling but, it is definitely not a cheap hobby.
It can be a lot cheaper than driving, and it is more than a hobby for some of us. It can be the best method of transportation, but it all depends on where you live and where you want to go.. One suggestion to the OP: indicate your location. There might be someone who can give you more information about cycling resources in your area.
Old 01-06-20, 05:00 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
My advice: drive to work, ride a bike for pleasure and to have a place to put your excess dollars. Don't mix the two.
For some people this might be good advice, but there are a lot of happy cyclists who commute. A lot depends on where you live.
A few years ago the cost of owning and maintaining a car was $8,000 a year. It is probably more now.

Last edited by ironwood; 01-06-20 at 05:01 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-06-20, 11:03 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

OP ( another One and Done) never mentioned commuting. He said he wants to bike instead of going to the gym.
Old 01-06-20, 11:25 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Facebook Marketplace is a good spot for decent, cheap, used bikes. But, make sure you buy the right sized bike! I'm 5'6" (dont laugh), and usually ride bikes that are 50-52cm.

And when you get a bike, get a home bike tire pump, spare tubes, and tools to replace your tubes while on the road (including co2 cartidge system or handheld pump). Having a helmet and/or gloves aren't necessary, but are highly recommended. At some point, you're gonna fall and your hands will take the brunt of the fall. Gloves will save your hands and a helmet will save your noggin.

You should be able to get most of this for easily under $300.

Once you start riding the open road, you might get addicted. And trust me, that is a good thing.
Old 01-06-20, 11:29 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
My opinion, DO NOT go the W'mart or any other store of the kind. Buying one of those crappy bikes is likely to hinder the possibility that you will like, and want to stick with bike riding. Checking out forums like this, for beginners, is good for basic info to start. If you have a local bike co-op, that is another good source, and you may find something there at a reasonable cost. Fit of the bike to your body and type of riding you want to do is most important. Obviously, budget is also up there. A local bike shop can also be a good source for help for a beginner. Especially if you, or a friend, know they have a good reputation. They may even have some left over year models on sale. Do you homework, ask any question you may have. As for replacing the gym, that depends on what you do, what you work on at the gym. Biking is cardio with low stress, but definitely not load bearing, core strength training.
Old 01-06-20, 11:33 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My suggestion: go to a proper bike store and try out some bikes there. After you find one you like, buy it, and ride it to the gym, to work, and everywhere else.
Old 01-06-20, 11:42 AM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
My suggestion: go to a proper bike store and try out some bikes there. After you find one you like, buy it, and ride it to the gym, to work, and everywhere else.
This is my advice too. Alternatively to a bike store if you have a bike co-op.

Ride everywhere!
Old 01-06-20, 11:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
OP ( another One and Done) never mentioned commuting. He said he wants to bike instead of going to the gym.
11 total posts and done. All on the same day and within about 90 min. of each other.
Old 01-06-20, 12:26 PM
whewdoggie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure if it's an option near you but I have a local bike shop that sells ready to ride used bikes for pretty decent prices. And they offer free adjustment and setup with it.
Old 01-06-20, 12:30 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
11 total posts and done. All on the same day and within about 90 min. of each other.
Another piece of crack detective work, right there!
Old 01-06-20, 12:39 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
My first bike, about 9 years ago came from a consignment store and cost $65. It was an old steel bike with good tires. I replaces the chain and rode it about 2000 miles that year. Unfortunately, it was too big and the longer the ride, the more uncomfortable it became. Even so, I enjoyed riding, especially the surrounding area eventually on 20 - 30 mile rides. As rides got longer I had to get a new bike, one from an actual bike shop that fit.
Old 01-07-20, 09:52 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by friday1970
Facebook Marketplace is a good spot for decent, cheap, used bikes. But, make sure you buy the right sized bike! I'm 5'6" (dont laugh), and usually ride bikes that are 50-52cm.

And when you get a bike, get a home bike tire pump, spare tubes, and tools to replace your tubes while on the road (including co2 cartidge system or handheld pump).
I can't recommend a used bike, particularly bought online, for someone who has never owned a bike.

The purchaser cannot know what size bike will fit if s/he hasn't spent a lo of time at bike shops taking test rides. Also, stems, bars, saddles, and seatposts are adjustable and replaceable, and can make a range of frame sizes fit a given rider. The purchaser won't know if something is wrong with the bike, or if it needs some basic maintenance which could make it a really good bike, or, if undone, could ruin the bike (like greasing or adjusting bearings.) H
aving a helmet and/or gloves aren't necessary, but are highly recommended. At some point, you're gonna fall and your hands will take the brunt of the fall. Gloves will save your hands and a helmet will save your noggin.
Instead iof recommending gloves for the fall, why not explain that gloves are padded to prevent hand numbness form pressure on the ulnar nerve, and that in a fall NEVER try to catch yourself with your hands---you will break your wrists, elbows, collarbone, whatever, and not in any way help yourself.
Once you start riding the open road, you might get addicted. And trust me, that is a good thing.
Absolutely.