Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

LBS strange repair policy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS strange repair policy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 01:21 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
You must not get out much. There are people who take their bikes to the LBS for a flat.

Heck, there are people who ride multi-gear bikes but never change gears because it's too complicated. (I wish I were kidding, or engaging in hyperbole.)
I'm guessing that the OP may not be one of those people you describe.
Old 08-05-19, 03:53 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
I guess the one thing I missed in this conversation is that pricing sometimes has little to do with cost. It can be part of the image of the service or product. Like a fancy label or a ribbon on a package. It can meant to send a message and not necessarily related to cost.

Since the touring cyclist 'jump the line' was mentioned, I must say every LBS I have stopped in on our tours has been incredible about helping out, right then. Typically a mechanical issue above my expertise but not one time do I remember a LBS saying they were too busy. That was really appreciated and mentioned in the touring journal.
Old 08-05-19, 05:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I don't think it's so that the techs will work faster, I think the fee is for 'jumping the line'

Any time they spend working on your bike means it'll take longer for them to get to the bikes that are already in the service queue before you showed up. Why is your bike more important?
At the same time.. I've had pretty limited success in instead asking to book an appointment for similar.. eg. "Can I make an appointment at 3pm tomorrow for you to adjust XYZ, and as it shouldn't take more than half hour, pick it up at 3:30.."
Old 08-05-19, 05:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Spinay70
Nope, due to logistics of delivering an item long distances in a short time...it does not.

But, if we are comparing apples to oranges, paying an extra fee to board an airplane in front of others (more apple to apple) seems a bit unsavory in my opinion as well.

Spinay70
Just why is that many feel that sitting on the airplane longer is a privilege and worth paying more for?
Old 08-05-19, 05:23 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I have no problem paying an additional expedited fee for 1 day turn around time of materials testing at the labs I use.
It costs me $800 an hour to have crews sitting.
Old 08-05-19, 05:54 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
At the same time.. I've had pretty limited success in instead asking to book an appointment for similar.. eg. "Can I make an appointment at 3pm tomorrow for you to adjust XYZ, and as it shouldn't take more than half hour, pick it up at 3:30.."
Service techs in any field can usually only hit one appointment time on the nose, and that is the first job of the day.

After that, the length of time per job is too unpredictable and a new job is started after the previous job is completed, whenever that may be.

Doctors and dentists seem to hit appointment times more successfully as they have staff to start your visit, such as a nurse or dental hygienist, and that staff will complete your visit as well.
Old 08-05-19, 05:56 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Just why is that many feel that sitting on the airplane longer is a privilege and worth paying more for?
Like 1st class? Probably because the seats in 1st class are better than the seats in the boarding area, or the remainder of the aircraft for that matter.
Old 08-05-19, 05:58 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Do you really think that's what people are paying for?
Old 08-05-19, 06:01 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
A shop in St Louis used to have a two tiered price for fixing flat tires.

They had one price for fixing the flat while you waited. And another, higher price for if you left it to be repaired. Their logic had to do with the cost of paperwork, dealing with the customer twice, having to store and retrieve the bike twice, and the physical cost of space to store repair bikes.
Old 08-05-19, 06:04 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
A shop in St Louis used to have a two tiered price for fixing flat tires.

They had one price for fixing the flat while you waited. And another, higher price for if you left it to be repaired. Their logic had to do with the cost of paperwork, dealing with the customer twice, having to store and retrieve the bike twice, and the physical cost of space to store repair bikes.
That would seem backwards, but they must have had a lot of people leave their bikes for long periods of time.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 08-05-19, 06:20 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
I was told three days to replace a Shimano free-hub to Campy. Went home, watched Youtube and did it myself in less than five minutes.
Old 08-05-19, 06:42 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Rush fees sound reasonable to me. They have a backlog, you want to jump to the head of the line, a reasonable fee isn’t uncalled for.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-05-19, 06:47 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Learn to do your own maintenance and avoid all the LBS dramas.
Old 08-05-19, 06:54 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Like 1st class? Probably because the seats in 1st class are better than the seats in the boarding area, or the remainder of the aircraft for that matter.
Originally Posted by asgelle
Do you really think that's what people are paying for?
Maybe you folks haven't flown in a while. I'm not talking about first class. Rather, straight ole' coach.. the airlines have fees you can opt to pay for the privilege of boarding sooner. Sometimes the fee is just for sitting a bit further forward in the cabin. eg. United Air calls it "Premier Access".. supposedly separate security lane too, but never really that helpful (and the plane leaves at the same time, no matter what row you're sitting in). Delta calls it "Sky Priority".. it's evidently a selling point getting on the plane sooner.
Old 08-05-19, 06:55 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
There are people who take their bikes to the LBS for a flat.
People who bring their bikes to an LBS to fix a flat should be forced to wait 2 weeks....Maybe this would motivate them to learn how to do it themselves.
Old 08-05-19, 06:59 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Service techs in any field can usually only hit one appointment time on the nose, and that is the first job of the day.

After that, the length of time per job is too unpredictable and a new job is started after the previous job is completed, whenever that may be.

Doctors and dentists seem to hit appointment times more successfully as they have staff to start your visit, such as a nurse or dental hygienist, and that staff will complete your visit as well.
hmm.. then there may be success in booking an appointment at the time they open? I don't think so. My typical experience is that even trying to book an appointment, for some sorta work that may take say only an hour or 2, leads only to a commitment that the bike should be ready by the end of the following day.
Old 08-05-19, 07:00 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Maybe you folks haven't flown in a while.
Have you? The point to early boarding is not the timing of getting on the plane. It’s to have first shot at the overhead bin so you don’t have to check luggage or have it forcibly checked for you when the overheads are full. Not to mention the horror of having to use a bin behind your seat.
Old 08-05-19, 07:17 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

hmm.. then there may be success in booking an appointment at the time they open? I don't think so. My typical experience is that even trying to book an appointment, for some sorta work that may take say only an hour or 2, leads only to a commitment that the bike should be ready by the end of the following day.
That would depend on if the bike shop is set up to do work on a tight schedule.

I do have good experience with an auto tire shop that allows purchasing tires online, then setting an appointment to have them installed. When I set that appointment for when the shop opens, I'm first in line no matter how many people were waiting outside before me. As long as your not late, otherwise you get moved back.

Finding a bike shop like that tire shop may be unusual, though.
Old 08-05-19, 07:20 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Maybe you folks haven't flown in a while. I'm not talking about first class. Rather, straight ole' coach.. the airlines have fees you can opt to pay for the privilege of boarding sooner. Sometimes the fee is just for sitting a bit further forward in the cabin. eg. United Air calls it "Premier Access".. supposedly separate security lane too, but never really that helpful (and the plane leaves at the same time, no matter what row you're sitting in). Delta calls it "Sky Priority".. it's evidently a selling point getting on the plane sooner.
I only fly occasionally for work. My company won't pay for any luxuries, and I won't pay for something like early boarding out of my own wallet. I tend to have plenty of checked luggage (tools) that my company will pay the extra fees on though.
Old 08-05-19, 07:40 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
3 days for a derailleur adjustment? I can bring my car to a shop on a Sunday and can get simple parts replaced that they have to ship within town while I sit in the shop waiting room. Jeez, within 3 days I almost can get a collision repair inc. paintshop done.

Just order a hanger alignment tool that arrives within 2 days from amazon. During that time you can watch all videos about all kind of derailleur problems and resolution. That way you get it adjusted faster and probably cheaper than from the LBS and every next time is free and only a few minutes.

Hope you don't rely on that bike for transport or planned some good ride. I always thought N+1 is just an addiction, but if you rely on LBS you really need a spare bike.
Old 08-11-19, 07:28 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

While any given repair may be unpredictable, most of them took a predictable amount of time in my experience and when I was contracting on-site computer and peripherals service, my recollection is that I could generally nail the schedule for the day.

When I ran service centers for computer stores we'd have a tech do some basic troubleshooting when something came in, and have a pretty good estimate of time and cost. While the customer was there, unless they were in a hurry and left. If it was a simple quick-fix, do it then and there. Too swamped to do that, it would be squeezed in somewhere in a day or less. In fact, for anything that didn't require a special component ordered the standard goal was 24 hour turnaround. Granted bikes are a different field, but I can't imagine that basic service principles vary that greatly.

It's a different story if expediting something requires different resources or extra payroll. Like next-day shipping for instance. But what I'm getting at is that for straight up service, especially something that would be considered a quick-fix in whatever field it is, my experience is that it's pointless to put it in the FIFO queue and slavishly follow the order. Expedite fees, sure you can HAVE them because some people will insist on it, but to use it to justify bad service practice is what would turn me away. If they're that poorly organized, or can't prioritize, is the service itself going to be any better? Sometimes ... but it's a red flag.
Old 08-11-19, 08:10 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Its not rocket science to me. I think its fair to to offer a quick turnaround time for a price. It happens all the time in other industries. Its not different if you choose overnight shipping for a price. You pay a premium for a service. There's value in that.
Old 08-11-19, 08:17 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
People who bring their bikes to an LBS to fix a flat should be forced to wait 2 weeks....Maybe this would motivate them to learn how to do it themselves.
People have no interest in doing it themselves. I could change my oil in my vehicle but hate the thought of doing it myself. So I don't. Why would you force someone to do something they have no interest in doing.??

I'm American. I love convenience. And that won't change anytime soon.
Old 08-11-19, 08:23 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
A bicycle is a pretty simple machine, and cycling becomes a lot cheaper when you do your own maintenance.

I replaced my shift cables a couple of hundred miles ago, and my rear derailleur was a bit off too (a bit of stretch). It took all of about 10 minutes to loosen an allen head screw and tighten it, including verifying the repair solved the issue.
Old 08-11-19, 08:58 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Learn to do your own maintenance and avoid all the LBS dramas.
Or own a backup bike (or two) and don't worry if the shop keeps your bike for a few extra days.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.