Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheel replacement advice

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wheel replacement advice

Old 02-12-20, 11:42 AM
twowheelies

Bikes: 2021 Roubaix, 2003 Bianchi San Lorenzo, 2018 Specialized Crosstrail, 1994 Diamondback Master,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Wheel replacement advice

Hello all,

Asking for a little help with selecting a replacement wheel for my ca. 2003 Bianchi san lorenzo with dura ace group. Hit a pretty hard bump on a weird road feature on a bridge (dont ask), and my rear wheel is basically trashed. Bought the bike on craigslist, came with Bontrager "RHL elite" in the rear - which must be pretty old, i can't find even a reference to it online:

(I tried to post a photo here but i'm not allowed yet)

So the question is, what do i replace them with? Obviously I need something that is very durable, but i have also gotten used to the speed of the wheels. Is there an equivalent Bontrager made now that is more durable? or should I go to another brand? and I only paid $400 for the bike to begin with, so cost is a factor too.

If i go to say a mavic aksium, will that be more durable? or is that too much of a downgrade? Is there a wheel that will give me extreme durability that performs reasonably well, that won't break the bank? what is gernally considered the most bulletproof rim, in terms of withstanding impacts? I'd like to stay with tubes for now.

i have a newer bontrage race wheel on the front. it's not in perfect condition but its fine for now.

I ride about 100 miles a week on NY city roads and bike paths, and weigh about 210.

thanks for the help, much appreciated.

-Joe
Old 02-12-20, 02:04 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
The Aksiums are pretty bombproof, if a bit on the heavy side. I've got over 20,000 km on the current pair, and still going well. Mind you, I'm a relative lightweight.
Old 02-12-20, 02:42 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
If front wheel is fine, just get a new rear.

edit: given your weight, you may want to get a rear wheel with 32 or even 36 spokes for durability.
Old 02-12-20, 03:08 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Go to the www.trekbikes.com website. (Trek and Bontrager or synonymous.) Click on the equipment link at the top and choose wheels. They offer a wide selection of quality wheels, both alloy, and carbon that you can check out.
Old 02-13-20, 01:29 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I am not sure what the weight situation is with that bike, but the Aksiums are a pretty darn sturdy wheel overall, in my experience with them. That said, they certainly are not light.
Old 02-13-20, 08:51 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
This is probably the cheapest brandname wheelset of the market - https://amzn.to/2uy4PtT
If you go to your local bike store, they may be able to order your a stock wheel off a bike for a little cheaper. You won't save much by buying just the rear new.
Old 02-14-20, 10:00 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
You could try and find a competent wheel builder in your area and have him lace a new rim onto your hub. A good builder will know what to do regarding your weight.
Another alternative is contact psimet about this, he is a member here at BF.

I think that bike came with Ksyrium wheels originally.

Last edited by big john; 02-14-20 at 10:05 AM.