Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Worth buying expensive sunglasses?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 01:46 PM
Texboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I'm not sure I would spend a little over $150 dollar for Oakley or Under Armor. Is it worth to spend that much money for the qualities of frame and glasses?
Old 11-10-19, 01:52 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Value is relative. But IMO, yeah, it's worth it. The optics on quality glasses from Oakley, Nike, etc. are just better than economy brands.

Be glad you don't have to have prescription lenses made-- my prescription sunglasses are all pretty much $300+.
Old 11-10-19, 02:29 PM
Texboy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What do you think of Tifosi? The sunglasses range $70 - $80.
Tifosi.
Old 11-10-19, 02:34 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy
Tifosi.
I like Tifosi. I got my pair for ~$35, and it came with three lenses. I use the dark ones for bright sun, the tinted ones for cloudy days/evening riding, and the clear lenses for eye protection at night.

Optical quality is certainly going to be better with expensive glasses. But, for basic cycling glasses on a budget, Tifosi are just fine, and are still better than the cheapo $5 gas station sunglasses I usually wear.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 11-10-19, 02:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As far as "budget" shades go, Tifosi are pretty darn good. It's what my wife wears.
Old 11-10-19, 02:54 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I wore cheap sunglasses for years and always thought they worked fine. The nice thing about cheap sunglasses is if something happens to them it's not that big of a deal to replace them. I moved to progressive lenses this season so I kinda had to get some nice oakleys with progressive/transition lenses that were about $500. While it's great to be able to see and not have to change lenses when it gets dark/light, I crashed a few weeks after getting them and badly scratched one of the lenses. Luckily I bought the insurance so it will only cost $50 to have them replaced when I get around to it, but insurance is only good for one year. If I didn't need progressive lenses I'd still be wearing the same cheap sunglasses.
Likes For kingston:
Old 11-10-19, 02:54 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
I have had good experiences with both Tifosi and Goodr. I have also had very bad lick with losing sunglasses both on and off the bike. So ~$50 is about where I max out on a glasses investment.

There was some viral investigative journalism a few years back about how glasses are only manufactured in a few factories. Big brands just upcharge out the wazoo because they can. You can choose to believe it or not. I personally have never felt disadvantaged from being budget conscious about my sunglasses or my mild prescription eye glasses.
Likes For The_Joe:
Old 11-10-19, 03:22 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I have a pair of Oakley Black Iridium. I like the clear contrast optics but they just do not fit right under my helmet. I use them now for hiking. Oakley would not fill my Rx request so screw'em.

I have a pair of yellow tint bifocal safety glasses and brown tint safety glasses that fit perfect and work well for $15 each.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-10-19, 03:55 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
I've had my Brikos over 30 years! Remember: the quality remains long after the price is forgotten. Oakleys aren't what they used to be. The brand was acquired by Luxottica a couple of years ago and they are starting to 'suck'. I love my in Tag Hauer sunglasses and wish they made glasses for cycling. These mentioned are Rx-able.
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 11-10-19, 04:01 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
I'm not sure I would spend a little over $150 dollar for Oakley or Under Armor. Is it worth to spend that much money for the qualities of frame and glasses?
To me, yes. To you, or others, who knows?

Your money; your decision. I require prescription lenses. My Rudy Project Rydons are brilliant in every respect: very light, durable (six+ years now), and optically clear/virtually no distortion. I use prescription main lenses, not the Rx insert thingies.
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-10-19, 04:06 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
When it comes to sunglasses I go cheap. It's one of those items that can get easily damaged and broken. I've lost count how many sunglasses I damaged and broken over the last few years. It's not worth buying the expensive ones, I don't mind if I break a $25 dollar glasses. I wouldn't want to break a pair of $ 150 dollar sunglasses.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-10-19, 04:33 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Why is it that, the more expensive the sunglasses, the more likely I am to lose them? What is that? I can't figure it out. I'm not generally absentminded. But I can't tell you how many nice pair of sunglasses I have just totally lost over the years. So frustrating. So, I just don't buy them anymore.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 11-10-19, 04:34 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
In my opinion, no. Expensive sunglasses are a total waste of money. I say this as someone who ones two pairs of Oakley Jawbreakers and 2 pairs of 100% S2s. Make of this what you will.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 11-10-19, 05:33 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I find the it's worth it to get the expensive and nice sunglasses when they're on sale for 50%+ off. Eg. Smith Attacks on Steep&Cheap at $100 (vs. $250 msrp)

https://www.steepandcheap.com/smith-...NtaXRoIGF0dGFj
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-10-19, 05:42 PM
Texboy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I keep spending money on $20 to $30 on polarized sunglasses. Some brands I discover that two lenses are not aligned. One side has little visible glare, and the other side is not. I get headaches and eyestrain by looking through these.

Last edited by Texboy; 11-10-19 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-10-19, 07:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
I have found that, when it comes to sunglasses, you get what you pay for. I haven't bought anything but Oakley in years. My oldest pair is about 11 years old, and they are still in good shape after lots of use. As long as you don't drop them directly on the lenses (which will scratch them), they are pretty hard to damage.

Troll Amazon, and don't be fussy about frame colors, and you might score some Oakleys at somewhat reasonable prices.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-10-19, 07:39 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I have no problems spending good money on glasses. All of my cycling glasses to date have been Oakley's. If you watch the sales, you can usually get them at a good price.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 11-10-19, 09:00 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Oakleys are way overpriced! and their tints are MUCH more easily damaged, and easier to peel in hot & humid environment (eg, Asia). I have 3 pairs of Oakleys that do this in Thailand. Will never buy Oakleys again.
Tifosi are great value.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 11-10-19, 09:23 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Tifosi.
tifosi have worked well for me.
Likes For biketampa:
Old 11-10-19, 09:27 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
heck no ….they are preying on the cyclists vanity to look more pro or seem hardcore
Likes For robnol:
Old 11-10-19, 09:30 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Have been using dollar store sunglasses for years. I buy 5-10 every year and don't cry when I sit on one or lose one.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 11-11-19, 08:40 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Why is it that, the more expensive the sunglasses, the more likely I am to lose them? What is that? I can't figure it out. I'm not generally absentminded. But I can't tell you how many nice pair of sunglasses I have just totally lost over the years. So frustrating. So, I just don't buy them anymore.
I've never lost prescription glasses, tinted or not, but I've lost sunglasses.

I think many misplaced expensive sunglasses are "adopted" by the finder. Anyone can wear non-prescription sunglasses.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-11-19, 09:47 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
If you're young with no eye problems, the $30-50 range is your friend. Optic Nerve One is on the top of the list.

I lost vision on glacier in a blizzard about 12 years ago. Even though I could see again a couple days later, I was left permanently sensitive to wind and breeze. To make matters worse, I have a pinguicula that gets red and inflamed in the wind.

For me, I went with Bolle Shifters, fog resistance and color change. It'll allow for a sun up to sunset ride without ever taking them off. A helmet lens is the next step...

Go try them on, we each have different face shapes.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 11-11-19, 10:15 AM
JDandy

Bikes: 1996 Gary Fisher Avant Garde, 1989 Fuji Sundance, 1994 Bridgestone X0-4, 1971 WF Holdsworth Mitral

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Have been using dollar store sunglasses for years. I buy 5-10 every year and don't cry when I sit on one or lose one.
As a newer rider that was my initial strategy but I got tired of the cheap plastic breaking in the middle of a ride. No financial loss but quite annoying.

I then went to Aliexpress and forked over a whole $13 for a pair of wraparounds with five different shades of interchangeable lenses, a cloth case, a hard case, lanyard, polishing cloth, etc. I wasn't looking for all of the extras but I guess cheap sunglasses are a pretty competitive business and it was nearly unavoidable. I'm happy with the purchase. They keep the wind and bugs out of my eyes as well as block the sun (or not if I use the clear lenses on a cloudy day).

I have a very nice pair of classic Ray-Bans that I never want to lose and use for non-athletic everyday walking around duty.
Old 11-11-19, 10:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
To me, yes. To you, or others, who knows?

Your money; your decision. I require prescription lenses. My Rudy Project Rydons are brilliant in every respect: very light, durable (six+ years now), and optically clear/virtually no distortion. I use prescription main lenses, not the Rx insert thingies.
That's what I have, although I went with the Rx insert because my Rx has been changing. I also tend to be careless and scratch things. I really like them. As you note, they are light and sturdy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.