Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Bike saddle issues.

Old 09-17-20, 08:41 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Bike saddle issues.

Have been chasing a new saddle now for a while for my Topstone. The stock Fabric, the Selle Italia SLR, another seat I grabbed from a garage sale, would work for me out to about 20 miles then get very uncomfortable or just downright painful. Gave up on my cardboard sit bone measurement and went to my bike store. Found out that I have W-I-D-E sit bones and the ony seat in stock was a Specialized Romin Evo. It is the 168 mm size and it feels very good right out of the box. It has no padding to speak of so it does get painful, even with bibs, at about the 25 mile mark and now I am looking for that saddle, size and shape, with some additional padding. Anyone know of such a beast I would be very grateful if you could point me in that direction. From what I have found the Ergon line has saddles in this range but from responses I have gotten on the forum there is very little positive.
Thanks in advance, Frank.
Old 09-17-20, 11:04 AM
pipeliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
I’m in the same size category. I can live with the Selle Italia Novus in L2 size. It is bearable, can ride 2 hrs before the aches set in. But the Selle Anatomical H2 is a game changer for me. I can ride for 4 hours before I start to get uncomfortable. The SA takes a good bit of tinkering to get to where they are comfy but for me, it really changed cycling for the better.
Likes For pipeliner:
Old 09-17-20, 11:35 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by pipeliner
I’m in the same size category. I can live with the Selle Italia Novus in L2 size. It is bearable, can ride 2 hrs before the aches set in. But the Selle Anatomical H2 is a game changer for me. I can ride for 4 hours before I start to get uncomfortable. The SA takes a good bit of tinkering to get to where they are comfy but for me, it really changed cycling for the better.
Thank you for this. Very much appreciated.
Frank.
Old 09-17-20, 04:21 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Lots of LBS's have loaner programs - that might be what you need.

I use an Ergon on my gravel rig, but it is their racy model. Totally flat top, with a flipped rear. It actually works pretty well, although the wide wings take some getting used too. No need for a cutout with that design.

Of course, if I'm gonna be putting 8 hour days in, I'll use my brooks.
Likes For chas58:
Old 09-17-20, 07:28 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
OP, in case you don't know: Specialized has a 30-day return policy, even if you have used something like a saddle. So, if the Romin doesn't work for you, it needn't be money wasted.

pipeliner recommended the Selle Anatomica...I haven't used one, but my brother swears by his. Beyond that, I've got no advice as my sitbones are about 127mm.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-17-20, 08:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I've never measured my sitbones. Don't need to, I know I need wide saddles.

Brooks C17 - on my gravel bike and main road bike. 162mm wide. Slight curve top. Flexible shell that flattens out.

Serfas RX RR - on my touring bike and other road bike. 160 wide. Split rail for flex. Flat top. Slight cushion.

I can ride on a C17 for hours without thinking about the saddle.
If you havent tried a Cambium saddle, you should. There are multiple widths besides mine too.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-17-20, 09:41 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I ride the Selle An Atomica on two bikes as well and since starting to ride them I have completely forgotten I even have a bike seat. Regardless of distance it is comfortable. You have to play with the tension adjustment and be sure NOT to make it as hard and tight as a Brooks; it should retain some sway in the middle and it will conform to you instead of the other way around. No 1,000 mile break-in needed to be comfortable either. The same size seat seems to work for riders of all sizes and shapes because it conforms so well to your individual anatomy.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 09-17-20, 10:00 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I don't know the Romin but about a year ago I bought a Specialized Phenom Expert and I love it. Or more importantly, my butt loves it. Admittedly the longest ride I've been on was a little over 30 miles but I didn't even notice the seat. If I can get myself back on the mountain bike I'll buy another one and put it on my hardtail. Good luck in your search. Maybe check out the reviews of the Phenom Expert. One that helped sway me was Outdoor Gear Lab's reviews of it and their comparison test against others. It seems to be suited for both road and trail. I think the best thing about it was that apparently no one could find any flaws other than it wasn't the lightest in the bunch. I had a little trouble finding it but went online, found stores that carry Specialzied products and ordered it at a local bike shop. I had it about a week after ordering it. Good luck in your search. Seats are very much a YMMV kind of thing.
Likes For MntnMan62:
Old 09-18-20, 09:26 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
OP, in case you don't know: Specialized has a 30-day return policy, even if you have used something like a saddle. So, if the Romin doesn't work for you, it needn't be money wasted.

Odd, I bought a Specialized CG-R to put on a Specialized bike, not knowing it does not work with a horizontal top tube. Specialized and the dealer would not take it back, because you could see that it wasn't brand new, but had been inserted on a bike.
Likes For chas58:
Old 09-18-20, 09:38 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Odd, I bought a Specialized CG-R to put on a Specialized bike, not knowing it does not work with a horizontal top tube. Specialized and the dealer would not take it back, because you could see that it wasn't brand new, but had been inserted on a bike.
Interesting. Maybe the 30-day return privilege only applies to web purchases, then? That is how I always buy things from Spec.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-18-20, 03:02 PM
Helderberg

I bought the Romin from The Bicycle Chain and they have a 30 day return policy so I am covered. thanks all for the input.
Frank..
Old 09-20-20, 06:13 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I really like Wilderness Trail Bikes saddles.

Likes For Gconan:
Old 09-20-20, 07:44 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by Gconan
I really like Wilderness Trail Bikes saddles.

Thank you. What model do you ride? Looks like a real possible saddle for me. Comes in a wide and in my price range.
Frank.
Old 09-20-20, 11:03 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Thank you. What model do you ride? Looks like a real possible saddle for me. Comes in a wide and in my price range.
Frank.
I ride the Pure model, and also the Volt model. I like both, but if I could only have one I'd get the Pure as the most comfortable.
Likes For Gconan: