Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddle advice

Old 10-17-20, 02:37 PM
sharonlove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle advice

Hello,

I have been suffering with coccyx pain for around 30 years now, I have just bought myself an e-bike and wish to use it regularly. I did just buy Serfas Tailbones Vinyl Unisex Comfort Saddle and after one short ride I decided it is no different to my normal saddle I had.

I have been looking at Spongy Wonder saddle/seat and also looking at the Moon Saddle
and I am finding it very difficult to decide which seat I would be better off with. If you can help or offer any advice I would really appreciate it.

Kind Regards

Sharon Love
Old 10-17-20, 06:34 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I hope you find a saddle that works for you
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-17-20, 06:38 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Many "good" bicycle shops have "tester" saddles that they can lend you until you find one that works for you. I strongly suggest visiting a really good shop and talk to one of the senior salesperson.

Where are you located?
Old 10-17-20, 06:41 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
30 years?

I have ridden moon saddle for years and love it. Only thing is you cannot ride no hands with no nose on the saddle. It takes a while to get used to but once you are, it's sweet
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 10-17-20, 06:46 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
The perfect saddle is somewhat of a crapshoot. Two things to avoid in your search are 1) High Price, no correlation at all to comfort or durability. I have Fabric Scoops and they are among the most comfortable, least expensive and most durable and 2) Marketing gimmicks. A comfortable saddle is nothing more than the proper shape for you and your rear end.

My experience is that any saddle marketed as being better because of better or more cushioning is a gimmick.

Have you consulted with an orthopedist that specializes in sports related injury?

Just keep trying without buying and you will find something. Don’t make the decision with your eyes. People often look at a bike saddle and say it “looks” uncomfortable.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 10-17-20, 07:32 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Saddle comfort is a component of bike fit.
before getting another saddle, make sure your bike fits well.
somtimes a small adjustment (cm or less) makes a difference
Likes For martianone:
Old 10-17-20, 08:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Many "good" bicycle shops have "tester" saddles that they can lend you until you find one that works for you. I strongly suggest visiting a really good shop and talk to one of the senior salesperson.

Where are you located?
many shops have a device you sit on to measure the distance between your sit bones which makes all the difference in finding the right seat versus rolling the dice. Then you will know what size tester saddles to try.

Believe me, I bought at least a dozen saddles before that device was invented.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-18-20, 07:53 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
many shops have a device you sit on to measure the distance between your sit bones which makes all the difference in finding the right seat versus rolling the dice. Then you will know what size tester saddles to try.

Believe me, I bought at least a dozen saddles before that device was invented.
Sit bones is only one measurement. The length of the nose, the width of the nose, if there's a center and or read cutout.

If sitting on the pad to find where the sit bones are were the only criteria, then no one would have a problem finding the perfect saddle.

You have to actually ride one.
Old 10-18-20, 11:22 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Selle Italia dealers have a no cost ride and try for their seats. That gives you seat time in various seats. Only downside is price, but they have less expensive seats as well.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-18-20, 11:47 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by sharonlove
Hello,

I have been suffering with coccyx pain for around 30 years now, I have just bought myself an e-bike and wish to use it regularly. I did just buy Serfas Tailbones Vinyl Unisex Comfort Saddle and after one short ride I decided it is no different to my normal saddle I had.

I have been looking at Spongy Wonder saddle/seat and also looking at the Moon Saddle
and I am finding it very difficult to decide which seat I would be better off with. If you can help or offer any advice I would really appreciate it.

Kind Regards

Sharon Love
Saddles are an absolute crap shoot that depends upon everything from your amount of riding to the quality of the shorts you wear to what your dimensions actually are. I would suggest since you are having this specific problem that you try a saddle with a wide central cut-out. One of the hints that you might need this is that if you do long rides and keep having to stand up and stretch your back. Why that would be so strongly effected by a cut-out I have no idea but it most certainly does. Remember that you might have to try a dozen different saddles to find one that works well for you. Generally women need a saddle that is 143 mm or more wide and with a fairly wide central cut-out. Also you should wear top quality padding in your shorts.
Old 10-18-20, 03:36 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I would like to expand on or support three points others have raised
Originally Posted by rsbob
This is sort of step one. If the saddle doesn't offer support where you need it, the saddler won't be comfortable. A shoe which fits is always more comfortable than a show which doesn't, regardless of the style of the shoe.
Originally Posted by martianone
Saddle comfort is a component of bike fit.
before getting another saddle, make sure your bike fits well.
somtimes a small adjustment (cm or less) makes a difference
This is equally important. Your weight is divided between three contact points (well, five, but to pairs) which are the saddle, the bars, and the pedals. If the relationship between these three doesn't suit your unique (and changing) physiology, no saddle will seem comfortable.

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
The perfect saddle is somewhat of a crapshoot. Two things to avoid in your search are 1) High Price, no correlation at all to comfort or durability. I have Fabric Scoops and they are among the most comfortable, least expensive and most durable and 2) Marketing gimmicks. A comfortable saddle is nothing more than the proper shape for you and your rear end.

My experience is that any saddle marketed as being better because of better or more cushioning is a gimmick.
Spongy saddles can work (not the brand "Spongy" if such exists, but overpadded saddles) but tend to cause issues over longer and/or more frequent rides. If you shift and move on the padding too much it can cause saddle sores.

For shorter and/or less frequent rides, they might be fine.

People who ride less tend to sit on the saddle more, while people who ride more tend to carry more weight on their legs (this and all other generalizations are indeed, general, and only you know what applies to you.)

I know that after lay-offs (illness, injury, schedule) if I start trying to increase my mileage, my bike seems to no longer fit well---it is because I have lost the leg and core strength to ride with good technique, and by the end of the rides I am sitting too much weight on the saddler and on my arms. After I regain some fitness, the bike seems comfortable for longer.

If you ride short distances at low intensities, a really soft, wide saddle might be fine. if you ride a bit more often, longer, or more vigorously, more padding is generally less comfortable.

As everyone has said, buying saddles is purely trial and error. Nobody has exactly the same physique or riding style, and what is perfect for me might be torture for you.

ASSUMPTION WARNING: I assume because you specify e-bike that you are not using your legs as much as some riders might. Sorry if I am wrong. If you are sitting on the saddle more than perching on it while you support yourself by pedaling a softer saddle might be right for you. Only you know how much weight you put on the pedals and for how long. If you ride your e-bike more like a bike with just a little assist tog et up the hills or to add more speed, a more conventional saddle should work. if you ride it more like a pedal-assisted electric scooter, a a wider saddle might be better.

I'd suggest you find a shop which lets you test saddles, and tell the staff exactly how you plan to ride. Maybe they can make specific suggestions.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-18-20, 06:05 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Speed She

This female-focused saddle has become one of our most popular models with its ergonomic shape, smooth curves and low-profile stitching. Its medium dimensions and rounded, falling away profile make the Speed She an easy-to-ride, easy-to-maneuver female-focused saddle.

FEATURES:
  • Female-focused saddle with an ergonomic shape, smooth curves and low-profile stitching.
  • Its thick padding and rounded, falling-away profile make the Speed She a well-rounded female-focused saddle
Old 10-18-20, 08:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Thick padding or any odd gimmicky saddles are probably ones to avoid at least until you have talked with and done a fit with a proper dynamic fitter. They should have you on a fit bike that is set up like your current bike (or your current bike can work as well) and they should be observing you or the motion capture or cameras and making adjustments and such to dial things in. They may have a saddle recommendation for you after that and you may listen to them as they tend to know a bit at least the ones who take their craft seriously.

Bike fit is the most important thing if you are experiencing pain while cycling. Any saddle could be terrible and cause pain if in the wrong position for you and your specific needs and body. Anyone who rides a bike more than once should get a bike fit. It is not about racing, it is not about being a "professional" or anything like that it is about optimizing the bike for you or helping find the right bike for you should you be searching.
Old 10-19-20, 08:45 AM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Knock, knock. Sharon? You still here?