Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using a tire liner as a rim strip

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-20, 07:29 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

I had a flat 10 miles from home. The puncture was on the inside, because the rim strip had worn through. I used the tire liner as a rim strip. When I got home, taking the tire off was a chore: the tire liner got in the way of the tire levers then held out the remaining bead so I couldn't pry it out. I had to remove it before I could remove the tire. I'll pay more attention to rim strips in the future.
Old 11-06-20, 07:34 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
I had a flat 10 miles from home. The puncture was on the inside, because the rim strip had worn through. I used the tire liner as a rim strip. When I got home, taking the tire off was a chore: the tire liner got in the way of the tire levers then held out the remaining bead so I couldn't pry it out. I had to remove it before I could remove the tire. I'll pay more attention to rim strips in the future.
I rode with tire liners for a few years. My only flat came from the end of the liner wearing a groove in the tube. Unless you're touring, you might be better off without a liner.
Old 11-07-20, 07:15 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Had an old road bike I hadn't ridden in some years. When I did take it out got a flat 20 miles from home. Turns out the rubber rim strip had disintegrated. I mean completely turned to mush. Put in the spare tube and got most of the way home before it went flat again.

That is a tough roadside repair, who carries spare rim tape?
Old 11-07-20, 02:12 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I rode with tire liners for a few years. My only flat came from the end of the liner wearing a groove in the tube. Unless you're touring, you might be better off without a liner.
I can't say they've been effective in preventing punctures; I've had punctures through them, but maybe I would have had more. I've never had damage from the ends, perhaps because I've used those with tapered ends, but I had one get brittle length-wise and crack, pinch a slit in a tube. The crack was hard to see, took tire pressure to make expand, so it took me a while to figure out.

I wear tires out. More than once a tire's belts have worn through and the liner has been strong enough to get home.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Had an old road bike I hadn't ridden in some years. When I did take it out got a flat 20 miles from home. Turns out the rubber rim strip had disintegrated. I mean completely turned to mush. Put in the spare tube and got most of the way home before it went flat again.

That is a tough roadside repair, who carries spare rim tape?
Electrical tape or cloth adhesive tape would probably work for a while. Save the next roll when it gets down to 10 feet.
Old 11-07-20, 02:31 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
Electrical tape or cloth adhesive tape would probably work for a while. Save the next roll when it gets down to 10 feet.
Good idea. I have a length of that wrapped around my sunscreen bottle. A trick I learned backpacking.

Unfortunately only carry that when touring. For local rides pretty much just a patch kit and multitool.
Old 11-07-20, 03:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I generally would recommend the cloth rim strips for people with rim strip problems. Those or the Conti rim strips seem to do really well for me but none of my stuff is really that old and unridden that the rim strip would fail.
Old 11-07-20, 05:27 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I will cast my vote for good cloth rim tape (eg: Velox) or a high quality plastic strip (eg: Schwalbe); I've had good results with both. Rubber strips don't last long.
As for tire liners, I've used them ("Mr. Tuffy") for years on my "winter" bike to prevent flats from the studs wearing through the tire carcass, and have never had a tube failure from the end of the strip.
Old 11-07-20, 06:45 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
I usually use Velox but tires have become so tight lately that I’ve been switching to a thinner tape. I use two layers of Tesa 4288. Tires are easier to mount with the thinner tape.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!