Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My ‘84 Trek 670

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My ‘84 Trek 670

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-20, 05:46 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
My ‘84 Trek 670

Here my 1984 Trek 670. I will always love this bike and it gets the credit for getting me back into biking after 31 years off a road bike. I was into mountain biking in the 90’s but a big accident and week in hospital put an end to that. My son raced BMX for about 6 years so I got a bike to ride on the track with him but we moved a little farther from the track and that ended that.

Anyhow with Covid causing gyms to shut down and after 5 years of religiously working out I was watching my body shrink. I have a friend in Chicago who is into vintage bikes and it got me thinking. So August 13 I brought home a rusty patina covered bike. Got it from original owner who hadn’t ridden it in 25 years and it sat outside but covered. I was honestly going to pass because besides the somewhat rough condition its a 25.5” frame and I’m only 6’2. Anyhow I fixed it all up removed the rust and touched it up, polished the aluminum, new tubes tires, seat, bar wrap and chain and I was off.

Since my first ride back on a road bike 8/13 to 12/17 my last ride on it, I put ~950 miles on it. If it was a size or two smaller I would never sell it but it will be better suited to someone 6’3 or more. If I don’t get what I want for it, I may just hang it up at my shop.

Anyhow sorry for the long winded post, here’s the bike. It’s all Reynolds 531cs, Campagnolo NR drivetrain, Modolo equipe brakes, SR stem and bars, Matrix 700c wheelset. In the 1984 Trek catalog it is the 3rd from the top. Love the color, rides great and is seriously fast, I’ve had it up to 47 going downhill in Palos Verdes Ca and it felt suoer stable.

How it looked day one.

Day one

Malaga Cove fountain

Likes For LibertyFLS:
Old 12-22-20, 06:12 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
It's not too big, you're just rocking a "French fit", which is all the rage these days among the retro crowd.

Kinda like a high-fat diet, big flexible frames used to be considered a bad thing in the '90s and '00s, but are now considered benign or even good by many in the know, and (of course) were always espoused by the French.
Old 12-22-20, 06:29 PM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
It's not too big, you're just rocking a "French fit", which is all the rage these days among the retro crowd.

Kinda like a high-fat diet, big flexible frames used to be considered a bad thing in the '90s and '00s, but are now considered benign or even good by many in the know, and (of course) were always espoused by the French.
Totally agree. I'm 6-3. Tried to ride 60-61cm frames and just can't do it. I have two 25-1/2" Treks (well, one is more like 25) I'm working on otherwise I'd take it in your time of weakness.

Color is killer and you did well by it in your refurbishing. Keep it.
Old 12-22-20, 06:46 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Looks great! How did you match the paint for the touch up?
I had a bike with those Modolo Speedy brakes, and once the slop was adjusted out of the pivots, and the brake pads replaced with something else, they worked great.
Old 12-22-20, 08:14 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
@liberty FLS Man that is one beautiful bike, the only other Trek I covet, besides my TX900 and 400t. The right size too, what do you want for it, seriously interested. Sent you a PM, Thanks!
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 12-22-20 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-22-20, 09:42 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Originally Posted by Hobbiano
Looks great! How did you match the paint for the touch up?
I had a bike with those Modolo Speedy brakes, and once the slop was adjusted out of the pivots, and the brake pads replaced with something else, they worked great.
I have a t-shirt with cassette drawings and I was like, this is the color! I put it next to the bike and it was spot on. So went to Michael’s and found an acrylic which is about as perfect a match I could find. I know it’s not the ideal paint but it worked and I lightly sanded and then sprayed clear over it. I’m a graphic designer so I remade the chainstay and Reynolds stickers and ordered the 600 Series on velocals.com
Old 12-22-20, 10:06 PM
Hobbiano 

Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
I have a t-shirt with cassette drawings and I was like, this is the color! I put it next to the bike and it was spot on. So went to Michael’s and found an acrylic which is about as perfect a match I could find. I know it’s not the ideal paint but it worked and I lightly sanded and then sprayed clear over it. I’m a graphic designer so I remade the chainstay and Reynolds stickers and ordered the 600 Series on velocals.com
I have an '84 770 frame that I think is the same color and I'd like to find a match to do some touch ups. Do you still have the name of the color and any other description of the paint?
Old 12-22-20, 10:11 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Originally Posted by Hobbiano
I have an '84 770 frame that I think is the same color and I'd like to find a match to do some touch ups. Do you still have the name of the color and any other description of the paint?

damn a 770!! Man that’s dream bike status!

“craftsmart acrylic paint” “green teal”
Old 12-22-20, 10:36 PM
Hobbiano 

Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
damn a 770!! Man that’s dream bike status!

“craftsmart acrylic paint” “green teal”
Thank you so much!