Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chainring choices ....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chainring choices ....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 08:19 AM
PeterCNX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Chainring choices ....

Any suggestions please .....

When I bought my road bike it came with 50-34 chain rings and an 11-32 cassette. That was fine for a while but then I found it very easy to ride and difficult to get any speed. So I changed to 52-36 with an 11-34 cassette. That helped. But now ... I feel that I am getting a relaxed ride again and rarely use the small chain ring.

I have recently moved house and there are things called mountains just up the road and they are certainly challenging.

I was thinking to put the 34 back on and replace the 52 with a 53 chain ring. The idea being some help going up hills with the smaller gear and a bit more grunt on the level and down hill.

What is wrong with that?
Old 03-15-21, 09:02 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
What is the brand/part number of the chainrings? Nicer ones will not shift as well with mismatched pairs, because the shifting aids on the ring are designed to work with the other.
Old 03-15-21, 09:10 AM
PeterCNX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for the response and I had not even thought of this, I sort of assumed that the number of teeth was the key...

I do not recall any part number, the brand of the 52 and 36 is Stronglight. I will have to wait for daylight to look at the others. In any event I do not think they will be expensive.....

So apart from that you do not seem to say there is a problem with a 53-34 combination?
Old 03-15-21, 09:14 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
What cranks are they on?
Old 03-15-21, 10:32 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
You should be able to pedal a 52/11 comfortably to about 40mph. It sounds like you use way too slow of a cadence, which is not only bad for sustainability (edited as per Asgelle's and WhyFi's comments), but also bad for your knees. Instead of messing with the chainrings any more, I suggest you work on increasing your pedal cadence. A typical optimum cadence is somewhere around 80-100 RPM.

Last edited by urbanknight; 03-15-21 at 11:53 PM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 03-15-21, 10:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10958 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterCNX
I was thinking to put the 34 back on and replace the 52 with a 53 chain ring. The idea being some help going up hills with the smaller gear and a bit more grunt on the level and down hill.
What is wrong with that?
That will make a 19 tooth difference between chainrings. I have seen setups where people say it works fine, but the larger the tooth difference, the more difficult it is to shift properly. Shimano says 16t difference max for their road cranks, for example.
At some point, just tuck and let gravity pull you down the hill.
Also, if you are pedaling at a good cadence and still genuinely need 53/11, then you should look into a pro contract.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-15-21, 10:43 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
It sounds like you use way too slow of a cadence, which is not only bad for efficiency, ...
Lower cadences have been shown to be more efficient than higher ones. Perhaps it's another word you're looking for.
Old 03-15-21, 11:01 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by asgelle
Lower cadences have been shown to be more efficient than higher ones. Perhaps it's another word you're looking for.
Too fast OR too slow of a cadence is inefficient. If the OP is feeling too "relaxed" with a 52/11, they're almost definitely on the too slow side. Even at 60 RPM, a 52/11 would be comfortably cruising around at 23 mph.

Efficiency depends on a lot of factors (speed, wattage, resistance, etc.) but I'm quite confident based on the OP's description that they would benefit from a higher cadence.

https://www.roadbikerider.com/whats-...cling-cadence/

https://www.trainerroad.com/blog/wha...ke-you-faster/
Old 03-15-21, 11:06 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Too fast OR too slow of a cadence is inefficient. If the OP is feeling too "relaxed" with a 52/11, they're almost definitely on the too slow side. Even at 60 RPM, a 52/11 would be comfortably cruising around at 23 mph.

Efficiency depends on a lot of factors (speed, wattage, resistance, etc.) but I'm quite confident based on the OP's description that they would benefit from a higher cadence.

https://www.roadbikerider.com/whats-...cling-cadence/

https://www.trainerroad.com/blog/wha...ke-you-faster/
He's talking about efficiency in the strict sense - how much work is being done for the amount of energy being expended. You're talking more about sustainability - balancing cadence and torque in a manner that's fast and can be maintained.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-15-21, 11:07 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
So apart from that you do not seem to say there is a problem with a 53-34 combination?
Wickwerks makes a matched 53-34 pair.
Old 03-15-21, 11:13 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
He's talking about efficiency in the strict sense - how much work is being done for the amount of energy being expended.
It's the only sense that has any meaning. In urbanknight's usage I have no idea what it means. It could be efficiency (though wrong), but it could also be speed, endurance, comfort, fatigue resistance, etc. In other words, no meaning at all.
Old 03-15-21, 11:16 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Make sure your derailleurs can handle the increased range.
Old 03-15-21, 11:35 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by WhyFi
He's talking about efficiency in the strict sense - how much work is being done for the amount of energy being expended. You're talking more about sustainability - balancing cadence and torque in a manner that's fast and can be maintained.
It's the only sense that has any meaning. In urbanknight's usage I have no idea what it means. It could be efficiency (though wrong), but it could also be speed, endurance, comfort, fatigue resistance, etc. In other words, no meaning at all.
Fair enough, I suppose "optimum" or "sustainable" would have been a better term. Still, I think we can all agree that the OP should be able to make good use of a 52/36, 11-32 gear set unless they're about to contest a stage in le Tour.

Last edited by urbanknight; 03-15-21 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-15-21, 11:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Well, it's the sense in which it has the most specific meaning. I mean, I hear you and you're right, but language means what people decide it means. In this context, enough people have decided that it has to do with perceived effort and a middle ground between grinding and frying your legs and spinning too lightly and too quickly.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-15-21, 06:07 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Wickwerks makes a matched 53-34 pair.
Whats chain wrap like in the 34? You must lose the use of at least on cog.
Old 03-15-21, 06:40 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Whats chain wrap like in the 34? You must lose the use of at least on cog.
I haven't used those rings, but there's no inherent reason that it would cause wrap to be an issue. That would depend on the cassette and RD.
Old 03-15-21, 07:10 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
When I asked about stepping up to taller gears a while back on this forum I was also lectured on increasing my cadence. Since leaving the MTB behind and moving up to the lighter road bikes my cadence has increased all of its own accord. Where I used to maintain low 60's, I am now in the 80's. Yet when I get back on the MTB I have a hard time pushing more than 70 RPM. Go figure. I say if the OP wants taller gearing, go for it. I'm 71 and have always been a pedal masher and never have I had knee problems. I'd give that Wickworks a try that HTupolev mentioned. I have a 52T large on both of my road bikes mated to a 14T on the old Giant and an 11T on the Fuji. I go as fast as I want on the Fuji and don't feel a need to go taller. I would like taller gears on the Giant too, but unless I want to do major upgrades on the old beast, it is what it is. Good luck
Old 03-15-21, 11:16 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Bigbus
When I asked about stepping up to taller gears a while back on this forum I was also lectured on increasing my cadence. Since leaving the MTB behind and moving up to the lighter road bikes my cadence has increased all of its own accord. Where I used to maintain low 60's, I am now in the 80's. Yet when I get back on the MTB I have a hard time pushing more than 70 RPM. Go figure. I say if the OP wants taller gearing, go for it. I'm 71 and have always been a pedal masher and never have I had knee problems. I'd give that Wickworks a try that HTupolev mentioned. I have a 52T large on both of my road bikes mated to a 14T on the old Giant and an 11T on the Fuji. I go as fast as I want on the Fuji and don't feel a need to go taller. I would like taller gears on the Giant too, but unless I want to do major upgrades on the old beast, it is what it is. Good luck
If the OP wants to mash, they can go ahead and mash, but going from a 52/11 to a 53/11 is going to make a difference of about 1.5 RPM (less than 2%). I honestly don't think I would even notice the difference of adding one single tooth on the big ring. Just seems like a waste of money to get almost no change, but if it matters to the OP nobody can stop them.
They do make 56t chainrings with 110 BCD (assuming the chain wrap is ok and the FD can handle the tooth difference).

Last edited by urbanknight; 03-15-21 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-16-21, 12:48 AM
PeterCNX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
hmmm ... nothing like opening a can of worms.

To answer questions ....

The crankset is Shimano Claris.

The 50 and 34 chainrings are Shimano. (this appears to be stamped on the gear but very difficult to read).

The 52 and 36 chainrings are Stronglight. (52T 10/9 speed Comapact concept 110mm; 36T 10/9 speed 7075 CNC)

urbanknight ... you say "You should be able to pedal a 52/11 comfortably to about 40mph." That is about 64 khm and to be able to ride at that speed would encourage me to spend more time on my road bike and less on my mountain bikes. Actually that is really fast. I have no idea how to accomplish that with the existing legs / gears ... if I ride down a slight slope I cannot catchup with the chain no matter how fast I try to rotate the crank. On the level I am always wanting to push more but again as soon as I get moving I cannot catch up with the chain.

Thank you mstateglfr for that observation, I did not know about the tooth difference being critical since it is the same front derailleur but I do take the point. A pro contract at my age is not a reality but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-16-21, 01:20 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

urbanknight ... you say "You should be able to pedal a 52/11 comfortably to about 40mph." That is about 64 khm and to be able to ride at that speed would encourage me to spend more time on my road bike and less on my mountain bikes. Actually that is really fast. I have no idea how to accomplish that with the existing legs / gears ... if I ride down a slight slope I cannot catchup with the chain no matter how fast I try to rotate the crank. On the level I am always wanting to push more but again as soon as I get moving I cannot catch up with the chain.
Riding downhill is exactly what I was referring to, but yes the pros can reach those speeds in a sprint on flat ground. That comes out to a little over 100 RPM, which is not a very fast cadence, especially for short stretches like descents. But if you want a 53 (or even bigger), they are available. Consider the specs of your equipment, but know that those are conservative numbers. For what it's worth, your front derailleur claims there shouldn't be more than a 16t difference between chainrings. Going beyond that risks the chain rubbing it in the small chainring, but there's only one way to find out.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...D-R2000-F.html