Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Broken downtube to bottom bracket - can it be safely repaired?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 12:24 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

This seems terminal. I saved my Nishiki Sport from a backyard in 2006 and built it up over the years through hours of browsing threads here. Only fitting to get a final opinion from where it was born from. I'm a high Clydesdale (used to be mid...thanks Covid), this is the second time a part of the frame broke (the first was where the chainstay met the rear wheel). Took me a few miles to figure out where the knocking was coming from, looked down, gut punch.

Open to any thoughts, thanks!

It's the year of the enema!
Old 04-07-21, 12:48 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,678 Posts
You might want to ask the mods to move this thread to the Framebuilders section of the forum.

That said, that's probably not the only joint that was close to failure---it's just the joint that happened to fail first. Same applies to the first broken chainstay.
Old 04-07-21, 01:31 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah...that's my thought too. It was in a backyard for a few years, metal fatigue doesn't usually get better over time and NYC streets aren't kind.

Good thought about the Framebuilder section, thanks!

Likes For Air:
Old 04-07-21, 02:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I mean do you really want to save a backyard find that isn't a super high end bike? It is up to you. It might be saved but it will probably cost more than the bike is worth and it sounds like you have put some time on it so it might be time to let it go. Especially as a Clyde you don't want to risk it over that.
Old 04-07-21, 03:51 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I mean do you really want to save a backyard find that isn't a super high end bike? It is up to you. It might be saved but it will probably cost more than the bike is worth and it sounds like you have put some time on it so it might be time to let it go. Especially as a Clyde you don't want to risk it over that.
Well...worth is subjective, right? I spent over a year dialing it in till it was perfect, where 80 mile rides didn't feel much longer than 30 and put thousands into it over the years. What's that time, sunk cost, comfort, and familiarity "worth"? A lot...to me! It was my fourth bike, and the only one I could get to feel like a body part while riding. I figure a new bike will require the same energy to get to hopefully about the same level. If there was an easy fix, it would be worth it.

But I agree with you, if the only solution was essentially disassembling the frame and machining a new BB only to worry where the next point of failure will crop up, it's better to start putting effort into something new.

Old 04-07-21, 04:58 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
this was a Lotus with a similar failure repaired by a local motorcycle shop

Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-07-21, 05:01 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Yes, in principle it can be repaired, but unless there's great sentimental value in the bike, or you're willing and able to do the work yourself, it's likely not worthwhile.

There are four tubes that come together in the bottom bracket shell. The simplest fix, if it is only the shell that has failed and the tubes are intact, is to make several cuts in the shell, sweat off the pieces individually, fit a new shell and braze it in place. It's still a lot of work. If one or more of the tubes themselves have failed, then those would also have to be replaced. At that point, you're looking at the cost of a new custom frame.
Old 04-07-21, 05:16 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
To do it, I would at minimum: Remove the bottom bracket assembly, cabling, hardware within the area of the issue, grind down to bare metal the area with separating metal sections, have it tig welded together. Then, make a "pie" cut out of new tube material to wedge in the distressed area following up with it being tig welded in place. Prep the surfaces with primer, finish it off with paint, & apply a clear coat. Reassemble the parts.
Old 04-07-21, 05:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Air
Well...worth is subjective, right? I spent over a year dialing it in till it was perfect, where 80 mile rides didn't feel much longer than 30 and put thousands into it over the years. What's that time, sunk cost, comfort, and familiarity "worth"? A lot...to me! It was my fourth bike, and the only one I could get to feel like a body part while riding. I figure a new bike will require the same energy to get to hopefully about the same level. If there was an easy fix, it would be worth it.

But I agree with you, if the only solution was essentially disassembling the frame and machining a new BB only to worry where the next point of failure will crop up, it's better to start putting effort into something new.
If you enjoyed the bike measure everything or get help from a fitter and look into custom frame builders. As a Clyde you can have similar geometry tuned to you but with a stronger frame built for your height and weight which could last a lifetime. It seems you love the bike so give it a proper viking funeral and explain that passion to the person building your frame or talk to a few builders and shop around and see who fits your aesthetic best.
Likes For veganbikes: