Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lightweight summer cargo type pants for cycling?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-12-21, 12:14 AM
Illgot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I ride a gravel bike and my pedals are crank bro with the metal teeth. I can't really wear bicycle shorts and don't want my knees to lower legs exposed because those teeth slice through my skin and snag clothing too easily.

Any suggestions for a light pair of cargo bicycle pants that will protect my legs and work well with cycling?
Old 04-12-21, 01:30 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Illgot
I ride a gravel bike and my pedals are crank bro with the metal teeth. I can't really wear bicycle shorts and don't want my knees to lower legs exposed because those teeth slice through my skin and snag clothing too easily.

Any suggestions for a light pair of cargo bicycle pants that will protect my legs and work well with cycling?
Cut off military fatigues. There are 2 different weights, a summer and winter weight.
Old 04-12-21, 03:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
You don’t want your lower legs exposed because you’re worried about snagging the pants legs?

I don’t get it. Please clarify.
Old 04-12-21, 03:44 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Zoic or aerotech designs
Likes For debade:
Old 04-12-21, 03:45 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You don’t want your lower legs exposed because you’re worried about snagging the pants legs?

Yes, I was curious about that, too.

If you lived over here I'd recommend Karrimor; reasonable quality cargo pants at rock-bottom prices. I doubt they're available across the pond, though. I also have a pair of Columbia cargo pants that I use for doing DIY and bike maintenance. They're very light and extremely tough and will roll-up into one of they're own pockets for compact packing.
Old 04-12-21, 04:39 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

My suggestion is that you learn how to pedal.
Old 04-12-21, 04:50 AM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
back in the old days there were metal pants clips to prevent such events.
Likes For dr1445:
Old 04-12-21, 06:12 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by dr1445
They're still around. Velcro straps, too. Problem solved.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-12-21, 08:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts

- use SPD pedals. there is 0 reason for a foot to slip off the pedal on a gravel bike.
- if you keep the platform pedals, learn where your foot should go on the pedal to ensure it stays in place.
- shin protection?...its overkill for how you ride, but apparently your feet cant stay on the pedals so maybe it isnt overkill.

Look at Kuhl pants. Most arent cargo, but they have a couple cargo if you really need those flap pockets. The others have multiple storage pockets even if they arent technically cargo pants. The Renegade is a quick dry fabric thats really strong and feels light. The Revolvr fabric feels closer to traditional cotton but is quick drying.
Old 04-12-21, 08:51 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
I bought a pair of these when they were MUSA pants. I still have them 10 years later.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/musa-pants
Old 04-12-21, 11:28 AM
Illgot

Originally Posted by indyfabz

The pedals have sharp teeth that can rip through lighter material like jeans and skin so was looking for a material a bit more rip resistant.
Old 04-12-21, 11:31 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Likes For phughes:
Old 04-12-21, 11:33 AM
Illgot

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- use SPD pedals. there is 0 reason for a foot to slip off the pedal on a gravel bike.
- if you keep the platform pedals, learn where your foot should go on the pedal to ensure it stays in place.
- shin protection?...its overkill for how you ride, but apparently your feet cant stay on the pedals so maybe it isnt overkill.

Look at Kuhl pants. Most arent cargo, but they have a couple cargo if you really need those flap pockets. The others have multiple storage pockets even if they arent technically cargo pants. The Renegade is a quick dry fabric thats really strong and feels light. The Revolvr fabric feels closer to traditional cotton but is quick drying.
Foot isn't slipping, I end up snagging my legs as I walk through my building or pull the bike up stairs.
Old 04-12-21, 11:54 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Change your pedals.
Likes For guachi:
Old 04-12-21, 01:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
The pedals have sharp teeth that can rip through lighter material like jeans and skin so was looking for a material a bit more rip resistant.
You’re missing my point about wording. And jeans are not light.

BTW...Why can’t you wear shorts anymore?

In any even, good luck with your search.
Old 04-12-21, 02:44 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Have you actually ripped pants on these while walking/carrying the bike?

I have several bikes with pinned pedals, and this has never happened to me wearing anything from tights to lightweight nylon pants to jeans.

I could see ripping a pair of tights or thin pants if I fell off the pedals and scraped my leg against the pins, but this only ever happens when I am doing serious mountain biking, never with something like gravel riding.

maybe try less aggressive pins?
Old 04-12-21, 11:19 PM
Illgot

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Have you actually ripped pants on these while walking/carrying the bike?

I have several bikes with pinned pedals, and this has never happened to me wearing anything from tights to lightweight nylon pants to jeans.

I could see ripping a pair of tights or thin pants if I fell off the pedals and scraped my leg against the pins, but this only ever happens when I am doing serious mountain biking, never with something like gravel riding.

maybe try less aggressive pins?
I have sliced my leg open once when trying to walk through the doorway and the pedal got caught turned and hit my leg. I have snagged my jeans but was able to work the threads they pulled through again without ripping, but one day I know I'll flat out rip the jeans.

There are times when the elevators go down in my building and I have to hoof it up 7 flights of stairs and I have snagged myself while walking the stairs as well.

Was hoping to find something that is a light weight with breathable material (maybe with side panels or a zipper for air) that doesn't snag and rip easily to protect my legs mainly from carrying my bike around. I don't think I have snagged my legs while pedaling.

Last edited by Illgot; 04-12-21 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-13-21, 05:49 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Illgot;22012212[b
]I have sliced my leg [/b]open once when trying to walk through the doorway and the pedal got caught turned and hit my leg. I have snagged my jeans but was able to work the threads they pulled through again without ripping, but one day I know I'll flat out rip the jeans.

There are times when the elevators go down in my building and I have to hoof it up 7 flights of stairs and I have snagged myself while walking the stairs as well.

Was hoping to find something that is a light weight with breathable material (maybe with side panels or a zipper for air) that doesn't snag and rip easily to protect my legs mainly from carrying my bike around. I don't think I have snagged my legs while pedaling.
You don’t need new pants. You just need to walk and carry your bike from the left side – the side that does not have a chain ring.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-13-21, 08:07 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
I have sliced my leg open once when trying to walk through the doorway and the pedal got caught turned and hit my leg. I have snagged my jeans but was able to work the threads they pulled through again without ripping, but one day I know I'll flat out rip the jeans.

Learn how to walk?

WTF???
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-13-21, 08:13 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I gouged my legs with the pins on my pedals once. Once.

I've been more careful ever since. Problem solved.
Old 04-13-21, 08:23 AM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
carry an old sock with you and slip it over the pedals when walking/carrying the bike. maybe even some bubble wrap taped up to make a sock.
Likes For dr1445:
Old 04-13-21, 09:32 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
In cool to cold weather, I wear Carhartt cargo pants. Not especially light, but comfortable and sturdy.

Originally Posted by dr1445
I'd like to find a pair of those metal clips that are large enough for when I'm wearing shorts.
Old 04-13-21, 11:10 AM
Illgot

Originally Posted by prj71
Learn how to walk?

WTF???
jackass much?
Old 04-13-21, 12:19 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
No. But C'mon. This can't be a serious question.
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-13-21, 01:58 PM
Illgot

Originally Posted by prj71
No. But C'mon. This can't be a serious question.
so here is the deal.

1) I have two bad knees but still like to ride. It is the only time I get to move around fast and bicycling is a light impact exercise on my old knees.

2) I live in an apartment building which not only uses key fobs on every door but for some reason decided the key fob should be 4 feet from the door so you have to fob, rush to the door while holding your bike, pull the door open, then keep the door open while you ferry your bicycle through because the doors have pistons.

3) the apartment I live in has two small elevators. One is down frequently and the jackasses that live in my building (12 floors) like to hold the elevator on their floor for reasons. It could be anything from a person deciding to keep the elevator on their floor while they unload groceries to workers keeping the elevator on their floor while they are replacing carpeting. The apartment also likes to reserve the elevator for people moving in which at times has left us with no working elevators even though it is against the disabilities act in my state.

4) I have a car but prefer to bike when shopping with in a 5 mile radius. I also work with in 5 miles so I bike to work and shop on the way home. I often use two panniers on my bike (hence why I use a gravel bike) either stuffed with work related gear or groceries. This is when I usually run into issues with the doors because the bike becomes cumbersome especially when carrying 50 pounds of bike and gear up 7 flights of stairs.

5) what, is this all you have to offer to this topic?

I'm just looking for suggestions on decent summer bicycle pants that are tear resistant from the metal teeth on bicycle pedals.

Last edited by Illgot; 04-13-21 at 02:02 PM.
Likes For Illgot:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.