Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Restore or upgrade?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Restore or upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 12:29 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Restore or upgrade?

Hi folks,

I have a vintage English club racer from the early/mid 60s. It was built by Bill Soens in a Liverpool shop that he co-owned with his father, Eddie, a respected cycling coach. The frame is in good shape, but many of the components have been replaced by low end junk. It’s built with Reynolds 531 DB and no-name forged drop outs. Interestingly, it has braze-ons for barcons, which where often used by club racers at the time. There is virtually no rust on the frame, but the paint is badly chipped and needs refinishing. I have found replacement decals for a restoration.

Most likely it was purchased as a frame set and built up with whatever parts the new owner had available and/or could afford. If purchased a complete bike, it would have been equipped with either a Campagnolo Gran Sport drive train or one with Stronglight/Simplex/Huret components. With either of these it would probably had a GB bar and stem, Weinmann brakes and a Brooks saddle.

Here’s my dilemma. Should I try to restore it with period correct or upgrade to a slightly later generation of components that function better? It has a nice set of wheels with Campag Veloce hubs and Mavic MA2 rims. Campag Triomphe and Veloce components from the early/mid 80s can be found in good condition at reasonable prices while Gran Sport stuff is pricey with sometimes questionable quality or condition. The Stronglight/Simplex/Huret drive train is a whole other story. Getting a period correct Stronglight chainset is not a problem, but finding the rest of the drive train is difficult to find in working condition at a reasonable price.

I really like the way this bike rides, handles and performs. I plan on riding it regularly, so function is more important the having the perfect restoration.

Your inputs and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards.

Van
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010849A.jpg (100.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Senior Ryder 00; 11-05-15 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 11-05-15, 01:29 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Here’s my dilemma. Should I try to restore it with period correct or upgrade to a slightly later generation of components that function better? It has a nice set of wheels with Campag Veloce hubs and Mavic MA2 rims. Campag Triomphe and Veloce components from the early/mid 80s can be found in good condition at reasonable prices while Gran Sport stuff is pricey with sometimes questionable quality or condition. The Stronglight/Simplex/Huret drive train is a whole other story. Getting a period correct Stronglight chainset is not a problem, but finding the rest of the drive train is difficult to find in working condition at a reasonable price.

I really like the way this bike rides, handles and performs. I plan on riding it regularly, so function is more important the having the perfect restoration.
I'd build it with whatever got me out riding on it. I wouldn't worry too much about period-correctness unless I was going for a pristine show-bike kinda thing. Although I'd avoid really modern looking stuff on general principle. No Shimano 105 or anything briftered. No gel saddles or anything with an anatomic center channel. No aero brake levers.

Also: got some pics?
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 11-05-15, 06:48 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I'd build it with whatever got me out riding on it. I wouldn't worry too much about period-correctness unless I was going for a pristine show-bike kinda thing. Although I'd avoid really modern looking stuff on general principle. No Shimano 105 or anything briftered. No gel saddles or anything with an anatomic center channel. No aero brake levers.

Also: got some pics?
+1 I concur...with doing a restoration (i.e. repaint) anyway...putting on more modern components will only make you want to ride more...and...you can ALWAYS change it out later! I would go even further and say that, if very modern stuff makes you ride more (i.e. brifters)...go for it!
Old 11-05-15, 07:03 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Period correct is the way I would go. Or close to it. TA or. Stronglight crank, or a nice steel cottered crank. Gran Sport derailleur or maybe Huret. I prefer old saddles, so a 60's Brooks swallow or Pro. I build on the cheap, and find nice vintage parts that fit the bike I am working on. To me, that is what vintage bikes are about, keeping them vintage.

I don't find them any less rideable. But then again it's the only type of bike I have.
Old 11-05-15, 07:29 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 272 Posts
I'd ride it as-is if possible while saving for the build outlined in your second paragraph. I understand Gran Sport functions just fine / well, though I've yet to shift them myself so can't offer more there.

How bad bad is the bad paint? Clean, polish with Mothers or similar, then wax unless a repaint is absolutely necessary. A bit of character is a good thing, and keeps you from having to shell out for parts in the finest condition. If it's not rusting it can't be that bad.
Old 11-05-15, 08:47 AM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
It's a very personal choice, and any of those options sounds good. I personally enjoy restoring a beat-up old frame back to a like-new condition, researching the period components, and then trying to find them. Most good quality 1960's parts are perfectly functional and are neither difficult nor particularly expensive to find.
Old 11-05-15, 09:48 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Think of a restoration as how an original owner might have equipped it after the original "cheap" parts wore out. How would the OO have upgraded it before it had become either C or V?
Old 11-05-15, 10:57 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Think of a restoration as how an original owner might have equipped it after the original "cheap" parts wore out. How would the OO have upgraded it before it had become either C or V?
This is also my approach. It allows both the sentimental and the practical.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-05-15, 11:45 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Everything depends on your goals.

There are some people who select quality classic frames and build up beautiful modern bikes.

I've had my primary ride on the road now for 33½ years, and it probably was already old when I bought it. Over time parts have worn out, and I've changed and the bike has evolved.

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
No gel saddles or anything with an anatomic center channel. No aero brake levers.
I may have my original seat somewhere... but I think I've discovered that those old barrel shaped seats are just not that comfortable. Ok for a quick jaunt into town, but not something I'd want to ride for long rides.

After years of debate (and two worn out brake levers), I finally went to aero levers... and like them. Also an aero bar (with a 2 bolt stem)

Actually, I've started liking the little knobby top on my brifters... so I may even look for a bit more ergonomic levers.

One thing with the brakes, I managed to loose my barrel adjuster. The levers I have are adequately long pull so the lack of adjusters hasn't made a big difference yet, but I could imagine more upgrades in my future.
Attached Images
Origin8Calipers_Front.jpg (91.6 KB, 16 views)
Origin8Calipers_Side.jpg (100.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-05-15, 12:27 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I have one foot in each camp. I am keeping the Capo Sieger very close to stock except for the gear ratios, but the Capo Modell Campagnolo now has several components, including derailleurs, crankset, and wheelset, which are 10 to 20 years newer than the frame.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-05-15, 12:33 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I would build it with whatever tripped my trigger. Whatever functions great and looks to whatever my vision of "right" is.

I'm the guy who builds up mid 1980s bikes with early 90s components. I think it looks good, even great. But just not "correct" if you're that kind of dork. (not that there's anything wrong with being a bike dork about your builds.)

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-05-15, 12:47 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Being the bike's strongpoint and attraction is the era, build on that point. I would have to go something campy like Nuovo Record or earlier depending on the year of the frame. NR is well recognized and began in that era.

Cool project!
Old 11-05-15, 01:36 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
If you're planning on actually riding it, I would definitely upgrade to at least the 1970s when derailleur technology was vastly improved from early to mid 60s.
Old 11-05-15, 01:52 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Ride it as is and think how you want it. Then act.
Old 11-05-15, 04:23 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all of the great responses. Yes, it is and will always be frequent rider. I'm leaning toward equipping it with a later generation of components. Probably early 80s Campagnolo. These would match the wheels as well as provide slightly improved performance. It has obviously been through several renditions over the years and getting back to original may take more time and money than a more reasonable approach.

Thanks again,

Van
Old 11-08-15, 12:48 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Hi folks,

Here's the latest plan. I've replaced what appear to be the original bars and stem with a Modolo semi aero stem and anatomic bars because the original bars were too narrow. The Dia Compe brakes have been replaced with near period correct Weinmann side pulls. A beat up Campy aero seat post has been replaced with an SR fluted one. The current wheels (MA2s laced to Campy Veloce hubs) and tires are in good shape and will be used for the time being. The crappy drive train (swaged crankset, low end derailleurs, plastic Simplex shifters) needs to be replaced ASAP. I recently got barcons for it since it has brazons or them. For the rest of the drive train, I'd like to use Campy Veloce (or Victory/Triompe maybe?) if I can find them in good shape, at a reasonable price. Other than the brakes, the other components are from the 80s.

Comments or suggestions?

Thanks and regards,

Van
Old 11-08-15, 10:19 AM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
... or a nice steel cottered crank....
They make a NICE steel cottered crank? Those things were the bain of my existence when I was a teenager.