Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Torque Wrench

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-17, 07:54 AM
MBurke

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Torque Wrench

I searched but didn't find any post about it....Im sure there are.
Whats your opinion on using torque wrench's ?

I'm new to bike maintenance and just wondering if I should invest in one...or get a couple of preset ones
I have a Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc.

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 01-15-17, 08:14 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by MBurke

I'm new to bike maintenance and just wondering if I should invest in one...or get a couple of preset ones
I have a Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc.

Thanks for any suggestions
I'm surprised a search didn't find anything since there have been dozens of threads on that very subject here.

Briefly, yes, a torque wrench is very valuable particularly for a novice mechanic and even more particularly when working on carbon components.

Ideally you will need two of them, a 1/4"-square drive for small fasteners requiring low torque values and a 3/8" or 1/2"-square drive for higher torque requirements. "Beam-type" wrenches are lower in cost and less likely to go out of calibration with out being noticed. "Click-type" are more convenient but more costly for good ones and have to have their calibration checked periodically. The preset type are much more limited to basically one job each.
Old 01-15-17, 08:16 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I think that a torque wrench is a must for any carbon bike or carbon component. A torque wrench is the only way to be sure that you have the proper torque without "strong-arming" it. Torque wrenches come in all sizes and flavors, and if you are serious about it, Park Tool and other sources will give you a generalized list of torque values for any particular application, i.e. pedals, etc. IMHO, proper torquing of your bicycle assembly makes for a better bike.

You'll probably guess that I am a huge fan of Park Tools. They have any torque wrench to meet your needs, so no reason to look elsewhere. I say this, because their tools are tried and true. A chinese torque wrench may work okay, but I think its hit or miss on quality. Buy once - cry once is my motto.
Old 01-15-17, 09:11 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Yeah, you ought to have one. And I'm not talking about a big one that you use on the car that torques starting at 5 foot-pounds up to 80 foot-pounds. You need a smaller one that measures well below that in inch-pounds (or Newton meters (Nm)). If you get the pre-set style I think you're kind of limiting yourself. With the adjustable torque handle you can use all the sockets and hex attachments that you already have. I think the most popular style is the "click" type. That's what I have. But I don't like it. Often times I can't hear/feel the "click" and don't know if I'm over-torquing. I keep telling myself that I'm going to invest in one with a digital readout, or perhaps even and old beam-type.

Dan
Old 01-15-17, 12:05 PM
MadMack 48

Bikes: 2016 AnyRoad 1, 2012 Super Six , 1997 Lemond Zurich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A torque wrench is a must when working on a bike.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX4ND65?psc=1
Old 01-15-17, 12:23 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Carbon frame and components? Yeah, you're going to want a torque wrench to make sure you don't over-tighten a fastener and crack one of those expensive carbon fiber bits.

You don't need super fancy ones. Inexpensive beam-type torque wrenches will generally serve you just fine.
Old 01-15-17, 12:27 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Yeah, you ought to have one. And I'm not talking about a big one that you use on the car that torques starting at 5 foot-pounds up to 80 foot-pounds. You need a smaller one that measures well below that in inch-pounds (or Newton meters (Nm).

Dan
The most you'll need is 300 in-lbs.
Old 01-15-17, 01:05 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
When I went to bicycle mechanic school (yes, there is such a thing), we worked with both the beam and dial types. The beam type is better for bigger jobs but not always convenient to use because it's visual only. The dial type is more tactile, clicks when you get to desired torque, but it must be zeroed out between uses.

In the end, I went with an electronic transducer type, the Topeak d-torq. Digital display where you set the recommended torque. It beeps once when you reach the set torque and then beeps again if you exceed that torque, so it's pretty foolproof. Plus it doesn't need to be zeroed out between uses.

One other thing. Torque wrenches tend to most accurate in the middle of their range and less so at the extremes. There are two variants of the d-torq for different ranges, and I selected the one where the torque values I worked on most fell in the middle of the range for that wrench.
Old 01-15-17, 01:08 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
I just got this one on sale from Performance (who charges $34 more and puts "Spin Doctor" on it). I was putting carbon bars on my son's bike and decided to bite the bullet. I'm really glad I did, because 5Nm of torque is noticeably less torque than I thought. I used to just wing it, but no more. And btw, I considered one of those fixed 5Nm wrenches for considerably less, but when I was working on his bike I noticed his carbon seatpost requires 8Nm.

https://https://smile.amazon.com/VENZ...ue+wrench+5+nm

I've got a big torque wrench also, purchased for my motorcycle wrenching.
Question for you bike forum mechanics - how much torque should I use to tighten down the end bolt holding the crank arm to the spindle of a square taper crank? It's an 80's Peugeot, if that matters, and it keeps loosening on me. I'm planning on using Loctite this time around. I was going to use a huge breaker bar, but remembered the large torque wrench in my garage.

Last edited by sunburst; 01-15-17 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-15-17, 02:05 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by MBurke
They're prudent for things which require little torque and break when too tight, most notably screws that clamp hollow carbon fiber parts like seat posts, handlebars, and fork steerers.

They're a good idea for things which need to be tight enough many people need some encouragement to pull harder. Cassette lock rings, crank bolts, finicky saddle clamps, etc.

Crank arms (even most splined ones) have tapers, and if you don't get them on tight enough they'll wobble, the hole will open up, and you won't be able to make them tight enough to stay on until you buy replacements.

Some saddle clamps are fickle and slip when not torqued disproportionally tight with assembly paste only helping a little. Some snap bolts perhaps due to torque. Having finished too many rides with my saddle in an uncomfortable position or detached I switched back to more reliable seatposts (Campagnolo C-Record posts stay put with a normal tug on a 6mm hex key, have no teeth limiting angle, and just work).

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-15-17 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-15-17, 02:10 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
The most you'll need is 300 in-lbs.
40-50 NM for cassette lock rings and bottom brackets is 350-450 inch-lbs.

450-550 kgf-cm for crank bolts is 400-500 inch-lbs.

Usually you end up with two for bikes - one for small screws (like 5 NM handlebar clamp screws) and another for big parts.
Old 01-15-17, 02:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1/4" drive is for the small stuff , mostly you will take the thread out of the Composite or aluminum,
before the steel bolt goes
fancy pre sets will set you back quite a few Euros..

Torque spec for external bearing BB is another story 3/8 " beam torque wench
Tight, its the top of it's scale ..
Old 01-15-17, 02:27 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I have a Harbor Freight for higher torques like pedals and a Pedro's Demi for smaller parts' 2-14 nm needs. Some places sell the same one as a Pedro's but for a lot less--compare pics/specs. I also use a couple pre-set torque keys for 4 and 5 nm for convenience. I've tested the keys against the Pedro's and they match up.
Old 01-15-17, 02:34 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
1/4" drive is for the small stuff , mostly you will take the thread out of the Composite or aluminum,
before the steel bolt goes
fancy pre sets will set you back quite a few Euros..

Torque spec for external bearing BB is another story 3/8 " beam torque wench
Tight, its the top of it's scale ..
This^^^

I started using a torque wrench for crank bolts and bottom brackets when I became aware of the frequency of people having the left crank arm fall off of their square taper bottom brackets. Most of those take around 30 ft/lbs. That's quite a bit more than I'd use if left to my own judgement.

At some point I became aware of folks ruining expensive high end aluminum and carbon fiber stems by over torqueing the bolts. I was surprised at how little torque is specified for those components. Left to my own judgement, I'd over torque them.
Old 01-15-17, 03:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I've usually went by a Pain index hand on the handle of the 'Peanut Butter wrench' on my old Campag cranks 15mm head bolt..

the torque wrench is a bit more professional.. and most importantly "how tight" IS A STANDARD UNIT OF MEASURE .

1/2" drive gets used to get the cylinder head tight enough on engine overhauls

Old 01-15-17, 03:10 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Yes... I have been humbled... Several times I have checked the tightness of a part and found the tightness to be way off (My Bad)...

The "ChiCom Outlet Harbor Freight Torque Wrench" works just fine on steel but I am not sure on Carbon...

Here is a table I extracted for torque specs on older steel bikes. Its a compilation of several tables...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...que-specs.html

Also note, after many years I finally got a spoke tension meter and was humbled again...

Last edited by zandoval; 01-16-17 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-15-17, 03:17 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
A few answers here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...e+wrench&cad=h
Old 01-15-17, 04:12 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I rarely use them. When I do, I am sure to use torque grease. I hook my hanging scale on a wrench and pull to the desired value. No need to spend money on another tool.
Old 01-15-17, 05:23 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I suggest that the OP have an experienced mechanic show him the basics of how to use and care for a torque wrench.

It can be highly inaccurate if used incorrectly and can easily be knocked out of calibration.

protip: for click type wrenches always lay them down with the socket side up and loosen the tension (set to zero) when you store it.

-Tim-
Old 01-15-17, 05:41 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I've usually went by a Pain index hand on the handle of the 'Peanut Butter wrench' on my old Campag cranks 15mm head bolt..

the torque wrench is a bit more professional.. and most importantly "how tight" IS A STANDARD UNIT OF MEASURE .

1/2" drive gets used to get the cylinder head tight enough on engine overhauls

Same here, but were did you find a 15mm socket to fit that bolt ? A standard socket won't go into the cavity.

Thanks KB
Old 01-15-17, 05:57 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
There's a couple different types of Torque wrenches you need to consider... First off your avg Torque Wrench you see is usually rated for 20-100 Ft/lbs which is slightly overkill on a bicycle. What you need is a torque wrench that measures in "Inch Pounds" notice I said Inch and not Foot Pounds. This will take care of small things like stem bolts.

The two main inexpensive types of wrenches you will encounter are.

First off the old fashioned "Beam Wrench"
Pro's: CHEAP!
Cons: There is actually special techniques you need to know in order to use it. so it doesn't give a false reading.

2nd and your best bet: "Click Wrench"
Pro's: 100% easier to use then a Beam wrench.
Con's: More expensive, and can loose calibration over time
(What ever you do never loosen or break loose a bolt with a click wrench, it can really mess up the calibration.)

There are other Torque wrenches like digital, dial, or split beam. etc But these are usually quite expensive.
Old 01-15-17, 07:07 PM
richart
Georgia Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Snap-On click type torque wrench that I have been using on bikes since the '70s. The Snap-On tool truck has a device they can use to test the torque wrench for accuracy (but they have to send them off for actual repair or calibration). My wrench has always checked out OK on the truck test.

At a job I had in industrial maintenance, we used torque wrenches made by Precision Instruments and found them to be of top quality. (I have heard that is who makes the ones for Snap-On). We had to send them out yearly for calibration and we used a company called Team Torque who had reasonable prices and quick turnaround time.

When it comes to tools, paying a little extra for quality pays off in the long run.
Old 01-15-17, 07:12 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMack 48
A torque wrench is a must when working on a bike.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX4ND65?psc=1
So this would be a decent wrench? I need one myself..
Old 01-16-17, 06:49 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
40-50 NM for cassette lock rings and bottom brackets is 350-450 inch-lbs.

450-550 kgf-cm for crank bolts is 400-500 inch-lbs.
That much? Holy smokes! I was only going by pedals. Honestly, in my new torquing endeavors I have not reached the point of bottom brackets yet. I usually refer to the Park Tool website to find out how much torque I need for a given application. Anyhow, thanks for the correction.

I've usually went by a Pain index hand on the handle of the 'Peanut Butter wrench' on my old Campag cranks 15mm head bolt.
Haha! Pain Index - I havent heard that in a long time. I was an aircraft mechanic in the USAF. EVERYTHING had to be torqued. We used the term "Pain Threshold," when we were to lazy to go back to the tool crib and check out a torque wrench.
Old 01-16-17, 08:15 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
I usually refer to the Park Tool website to find out how much torque I need for a given application.

There are instances where Park and the manufacturer don't agree on the spec.

I always go with what the manufacturer says if they make specs available.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.