Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Klean Kanteen insulated bottles.... very impressed !

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-02-20, 11:40 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

Did a ride last night with our group that started at sunset. I filled two 24oz bottles around 5pm with ice and water and put them in the cages with my bike on a Kuat. Finished the ride around 10pm and drove home, just emptied the bottles at 1030am this morning and both still had ice in them !! Expensive bottles but well worth it to me. The bottles were subjected to outdoor temps (Sacramento) the entire time and stayed cold.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 09-02-20, 01:18 PM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Got an insulated Polar bottle, 20 oz. this year. I don't bother with ice, but refill and put in frig after each ride. Not ice cold, but coolish; beats tepid or warm when you're sweating your butt off out there. Enjoy.
Old 09-02-20, 01:20 PM
lelenz

Bikes: Sirrus X-4

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
i use a Hydroflask myself. I'm sure the weight is up there, but I choose to sacrifice that for cold water!
Old 09-02-20, 02:22 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
We have several variants and sizes of Kleen Kanteen stuff, and it is the best at keeping hot stuff piping hot, and frigid stuff frigid. Love it!
Old 09-02-20, 02:28 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
I use yeti now as they have the best selection of lids. but all of them will melt the ice fast if you don't use a lot. all the sloshing melts it fast then you have ice flavored water.
Old 09-02-20, 02:44 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
On the other end of the spectrum... I was perusing my local bicycle buy/sell/trade group and someone had posted a bunch of department store bikes. I noticed that many of them had black uninsulated bottles. I remembered the mountain bike I was given also had a black uninsulated bottle, which I tossed in the trash. OK, who's the brainiac at these low-end bike companies who decided that uninsulated black plastic was the way to go for water bottles? Yeah, I know the people who buy department store bikes most likely aren't the serious cyclists, but come on. Those black plastic in the hot sun during the summer is going to give you some nice hot water to drink, probably at the time when you need some nice cool water the most. I guess if you wanted to keep your coffee warm in the hot summer afternoon, then they'd be perfect.

Sorry, just had to vent about this crappy design.
Old 09-02-20, 03:03 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
On the other end of the spectrum... I was perusing my local bicycle buy/sell/trade group and someone had posted a bunch of department store bikes. I noticed that many of them had black uninsulated bottles. I remembered the mountain bike I was given also had a black uninsulated bottle, which I tossed in the trash. OK, who's the brainiac at these low-end bike companies who decided that uninsulated black plastic was the way to go for water bottles? Yeah, I know the people who buy department store bikes most likely aren't the serious cyclists, but come on. Those black plastic in the hot sun during the summer is going to give you some nice hot water to drink, probably at the time when you need some nice cool water the most. I guess if you wanted to keep your coffee warm in the hot summer afternoon, then they'd be perfect.

Sorry, just had to vent about this crappy design.
I have an Elite Fly water bottle that is black, and I swear it heat the contents any warmer than any other colored water bottles I own, including a white and a clear one. My red one is also the same as the others. The plastic is thin enough that there just isn’t that much heat transfer, maybe? Don’t know, won’t pretend to know, but I promise you that the bottles I use regularly don’t suffer or benefit from coloration in regard to internal temperatures.
Old 09-02-20, 05:38 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
was there rattling?
Old 09-02-20, 07:42 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I use yeti now as they have the best selection of lids. but all of them will melt the ice fast if you don't use a lot. all the sloshing melts it fast then you have ice flavored water.
So...water flavored water?
Old 09-02-20, 08:54 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
So...water flavored water?
ice usually imparts its own taste if you use a lot fo ice. maybe I am a water wacky but ice usually has some taste no matter how I make it or how fresh it is. bit to takes maybe half a Ince tray in a big bottle to do it. but it takes a lot of Ice to last on a ride. all that shaking causes it to melt fast.
Old 09-03-20, 10:23 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Did a ride last night with our group that started at sunset. I filled two 24oz bottles around 5pm with ice and water and put them in the cages with my bike on a Kuat. Finished the ride around 10pm and drove home, just emptied the bottles at 1030am this morning and both still had ice in them !! Expensive bottles but well worth it to me. The bottles were subjected to outdoor temps (Sacramento) the entire time and stayed cold.
Does your Klean Kanteen have a top that allows drinking while riding or, do you only drink while taking a break?
Old 09-03-20, 10:28 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Originally Posted by Nyah
Does your Klean Kanteen have a top that allows drinking while riding or, do you only drink while taking a break?
Only when stopped
Old 09-04-20, 06:30 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
so no rattling?
Old 09-04-20, 07:29 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I use 40 ounce Klean Kanteen uninsulated water bottles with Widefoot cages. Sometimes Nalgene bottles.

Old 09-04-20, 07:38 AM
Gconan

40 ounce.
Old 09-04-20, 07:39 AM
Gconan

40 ounce.

Old 09-04-20, 07:55 AM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
so no rattling?
No
Old 09-09-20, 09:50 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I have used mine for cycling in a pinch. They fit tight in my King cages, and do not rattle, but a friend has his stolen once. They are my standard for water in the vehicles. A full bottle filled with ice and then water will be still cold after a day parked in the sun. In the winter, it take multiple days below 20 degrees F before you get some freezing. I have had complete freezes and as long as you leave an inch of air (the neck), there has been no damage. A great product.
Old 09-10-20, 12:35 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
I have a few uninsulated bottles, 3 or 4 20oz and a couple 40oz some with drink thru lids and some with out.
Old 09-10-20, 04:05 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I often carry a 40 oz Tai insulated in my trunk bag when I take longer rides in super hot weather. Will keep ice solid for 3 hours in 100+ weather at half the price of the name brand bottles. Man, nothing like a pit stop with the cold water

Keep wanting to mount it somewhere on the back of the seat tube with a camel back style hydration hose but haven't gotten around to it.