Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacement Parts on old Browning bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 03:39 PM
Sismologue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

I've had a Browning road bike from the 1970s for about a year now. It's been working pretty well for what I need it for (biking around the country roads- usually 20-50km at a time; never more than 150km - and hopefully some short 1-2 day bike camping trips later in the spring... maybe).

I am trying to keep it rolling as safely and reliably as possible (on a bit of a budget - oh the joys of being a student). The chain and freewheel were the two things that seemed the most worn. My main issue has been finding parts - namely the freewheel. I brought it into a local shop and they said that since it was a Shimano Front Freewheel System, they weren't able to get that part. I understand that replacing the chain without replacing an already worn freewheel may lead to skipping/other problems.

So, I guess my question is: Would I be able to replace the chain only without affecting the functionality of the bike?

I think my plan is going to be to continue riding it until the chain (or something else) breaks down, at which point I guess I will try my best to fix it up. Any thoughts?
Old 03-24-21, 03:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
You need to measure your chain for wear. If measuring to the same side of the pin from your start to 12 inches, the pin is more than a 1/16 beyond 12 inches, then you are past time for replacement time and might have worn out quicker the cogs you use the most either on front or back.

But most will probably say just replace the chain and see if it skips. I would not replace the cogs or chainwheels and not also replace the chain. Unless I knew the chain only had a few hundred miles on it.

5 speeds on the rear? You probably can find a freewheel that will work, but inventory is still low everywhere due to COVID. You have to search and hope you don't find someone taking advantage of the high demand for parts and lack of inventory elsewhere.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-24-21 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-25-21, 09:30 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Sismologue
So, I guess my question is: Would I be able to replace the chain only without affecting the functionality of the bike?

I think my plan is going to be to continue riding it until the chain (or something else) breaks down, at which point I guess I will try my best to fix it up. Any thoughts?
Given the (ahem) limited availability of non-freewheeling rear gear clusters and chainrings for Shimano FFS cranks, you have no choice other than ditch the bike. Or convert it, which I could turn into a new avocation in itself. Al you have to lose is your time and the cost of the chain.

I doubt this bike was ridden enough to wear out the chainrings anyway. Quite possibly the cluster, too.

For those who don't know what Shimano FFS is, watch this:
Old 03-25-21, 10:23 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
If a new chain skips on the original "friction freewheel," it looks as if that freewheel can be removed and replaced with a conventional (five-sprocket) freewheel, although an older version of a Shimano freewheel removal tool would be required.

Old 03-25-21, 06:22 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Our local co-op has a couple of FFS bikes and might also have the parts loose. You might check at your own co-op or another local shop (ask to check in their scrounge box) or on the auction sites. Good luck!
Old 04-01-21, 04:38 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Sismologue look what I found! Spotted this from the van all the way across the co-op's parking lot when I arrived. I did not grab the freewheel or the other parts because I could not remember the details of this thread, but I can go back if necessary.

That blue frame on the bottom of the dumpster still has most of the FFS BB and the rear derailleur.