Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where do you keep your cell phone while riding...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where do you keep your cell phone while riding...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 11:39 AM
grumpyoldguy

Bikes: Scott, Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Jersey pocket

As others have said, in a ziplock bag (along with your ID and some money). Centre jersey pocket is best, because if you crash you are less likely to fall on the phone.
Old 04-12-21, 12:12 PM
olddcarnutjag

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get an old nokia

The emt wiped the blood of my old Samsung and called my wife, while I was going to the hospital.
The old Nokia’s are tough and can still call 911, my iPhone rides in a hard case, a garmin rides on the handlebars.
there are two kinds of cyclists those that have crashed and those that are going to crash.
Old 04-12-21, 12:16 PM
edmguirk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have jersey pockets so I use a lanyard around my neck. It hangs to the center of my chest under my shirt and I don't even notice it's there. Sweat or random activation has not seemed to be a problem as yet.
Old 04-12-21, 12:36 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I have a Wahoo Elemnt, which needs the phone's GPS in order to work properly. So obviously, the phone comes with me. I have the phone set so it never unlocks without my code (no smart lock feature activated). I just shove it a jersey pocket when I'm riding the road bike. I shove it in my Camelback when I'm hitting the trails.
Old 04-12-21, 12:39 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Triangle bag at the front of my frame. Large enough for a useful patch kit, spare tube (or two), spare electrolyte tablets, a gel or two, wallet, phone, and it still hides behind my steering tube. The weight- and aero-weenies laughed at me until they realized (a) it wasn't slowing me down, and (b) I might have a spare tube they could borrow...

Mine is an even earlier version of this one: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-6...Tour-Frame-Bag

Still enough room under and behind it for a water bottle in each rack.
Old 04-12-21, 12:46 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
While I do not ride a drop bar road bike I got a bag that is waterproof for my phone. It works great. Otherwise stick it in a pocket,never know when you might crash and need to call for help.
Likes For Marci:
Old 04-12-21, 01:09 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Pocket. Never had an issue.
Old 04-12-21, 01:20 PM
khosch
khosch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
I have an apple watch with a cell plan - so the phone stays home but I call for help if I need it.
Old 04-12-21, 02:17 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by capt_velo
I have a Wahoo Elemnt, which needs the phone's GPS in order to work properly. So obviously, the phone comes with me. I have the phone set so it never unlocks without my code (no smart lock feature activated). I just shove it a jersey pocket when I'm riding the road bike. I shove it in my Camelback when I'm hitting the trails.
i don't follow. ??
Old 04-12-21, 02:20 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I keep my phone in a jersey pocket. I run a glucose monitor so leaving behind isn't an option. I also have a Delta stem cap mount but I haven;t figured out how to unlock on th emove so I don;t use it much.
Old 04-12-21, 02:46 PM
sabele

Bikes: Basso Loto, Andre Bertain, Schwinn Madison, Litespeed Unicoi, Easton full sustension, Macau non-suspended MTN, Merlin Agilis, A-D Superlicht, Daccordi Piuma, Scott CR1 (former owner Thomas Frischnecht), Van Diesel CX, Alan Top Cross, Scattante CX, Ri

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
iPhone on rides

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Center jersey pocket. In a baggie if I anticipate rain.
I put it in a ziplock if it is going to rain, and then in my back pocket, right side because I am right handed
Old 04-12-21, 03:01 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I have a Wahoo Elemnt, which needs the phone's GPS in order to work properly.
Originally Posted by Troul
i don't follow. ??
Maybe capt was ambiguous, but the Elemnt will function without a phone, except obviously losing the ability to sync over the Internet for new routes or LiveTrack (no built-in routing or sim card support). On Android, BTLE seems to require turning location services on, so I can see how that could be interpreted as needing phone GPS, but the Elemnt uses its own location. Not a big deal for those who take their phone with them anyway, in fact could be considered a feature because interacting with a phone tends to be easier than a bike computer.
Old 04-12-21, 03:11 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Maybe capt was ambiguous, but the Elemnt will function without a phone, except obviously losing the ability to sync over the Internet for new routes or LiveTrack (no built-in routing or sim card support). On Android, BTLE seems to require turning location services on, so I can see how that could be interpreted as needing phone GPS, but the Elemnt uses its own location. Not a big deal for those who take their phone with them anyway, in fact could be considered a feature because interacting with a phone tends to be easier than a bike computer.
Yeah, I could've been a little clearer.... I have a Wahoo Elemnt Mini. The Elemnt Mini relies on the phone's GPS to track location.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/08/...th-review.html

It's really a shame that the Elemnt Mini never took off as most of us ride with our smartphones anyway. It looks to have been discontinued.
Old 04-12-21, 03:23 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Yeah, I could've been a little clearer.... I have a Wahoo Elemnt Mini. The Elemnt Mini relies on the phone's GPS to track location.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/08/...th-review.html

It's really a shame that the Elemnt Mini never took off as most of us ride with our smartphones anyway. It looks to have been discontinued.
The mini drains the phone's charge too fast for my liking when the area is lacking coverage. The regular W.E. hasn't let me down electronically. The mount though, had to do a "crown" procedure on it.
Old 04-12-21, 05:08 PM
lazurm

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
On back

I ride with a Terrano bluetooth/communication device mounted to the top of my bicycle helmet and, in order for it to work using all its features, I need my phone with me (to answer/make calls and to get detailed voice directions if needed). I also carry a custom made first aid kit in a small plastic snapped shut container that fits perfectly in my jersey rear pocket.

I place the operating side of my cell phone aimed towards my body inside my middle rear jersey pocket with the first aid kit in the same pocket on the outer side so that it protects the cell phone. Both cannot be seen as they fit in the pocket perfectly, in almost all my jerseys.
Old 04-12-21, 09:08 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 227 Posts
I had an iphone 6 which fit nicely in my back jersey pockets. Just upgraded to the iphone 12 and have noticed the bigger size phone is a little harder to fit into the jersey pockets. Anyway, I make it work. If I think it might rain I put the phone in a ziplock bag. Never had a problem.
Old 04-14-21, 08:03 AM
leadholder

Bikes: Ritchey Road, 72 Windsor Pro, 94 Bridgestone MB1, 98 Kona Explosif, bunch of old Schwinns.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Center jersey pocket. If I’m wearing mountain bike shorts I put my phone in the putter thigh pocket which has a zipper. A zip lock bag seems like a great idea in certain situations (rain or creek crossings)
Old 04-14-21, 06:33 PM
BikeMike27

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep mine in an armband with my keys.
Old 04-14-21, 06:34 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
in the case strapped to my messenger bag
Old 04-14-21, 07:18 PM
DaintyCalves

Bikes: Madone 6.2

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've tried a few different things but these days, like most everyone here, it's in my jersey. My S10 barely squeezes into my under seat pack and takes space for extra tubes/tools. I had it on an arm band for a while but I figure if I crash it probably has a better chance at surviving the fall in my jersey than on my arm.
Likes For DaintyCalves: