Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

POLL: Do you use a rear-view mirror?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: rear-view mirror?
yes
45.26%
no
54.74%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Do you use a rear-view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 08:34 AM
Stv

Bikes: 05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Non-mirror use, is it the cool factor or only the old dudes that use them ? I would be curious to know what the age ranges of users vs. non-users are from the pole results.

I recall at 30 years of age I was wearing headphones and I could still filter road traffic noise. My reflexes would allow me look over my shoulder and not lose my line or cadence.

Now, at 51, a massage therapist has to work my stiff neck muscles so I can turn to look back. My reflexes are not anywhere near the same and often I wobble on a look back and my hearing got bad enough that I do not hear, maybe 1/4 of the cars approaching from behind till they are on top me. In 20 years, the traffic volumes around here have increased several fold.

I think I'm a candidate to get a mirror before I become "bumper-splat".
Old 10-24-05, 08:44 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
I suspect there could be some correlation between driving experience and use of mirrors on a bike. I've been driving for 30 years, so using a mirror is just plain natural to me, while others may have less, if any, experience behind the wheel of a cage and never got used to a mirror in the first place. I never used a mirror before I started driving or during the first 10 years or so that I drove. Just a hunch.
Similar thoughts here, though I've only been driving for 20 years, and I did not go the first 10 years without a mirror

In Driver's Ed, I was taught to check the mirror periodically, and that has stuck with me. The idea carries over to the bike very quickly and is less "jerky" than whipping my head around all the time. I guess I just like to know what's behind me (whether I can do anything about it or not). It costs very little in terms of dollars, time, and effort. It's not like I couldn't do without one; that has been proven. But given the choice I'd rather have one than not.
Old 10-24-05, 08:47 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZappCatt
Thanks for the reasoned, thoughtful responces to my question regarding mirror useage. I am used to people either ignoring the questions, or getting defensive and getting personal.
It is nice when people keep things on-topic and do not get nasty.

Originally Posted by ZappCatt
'nother, that ride must have SUCKED for you..no mirror, tons of flat tires, and NO CIMBS!!!!
heheh, well, the lack of mirror and climbs were very minor issues compared to all of the flats!
Old 10-24-05, 08:51 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
44.9% use mirrors. Where do you guys ride? I would bet less than 5% of the people I ride with use mirrors.
In my limited observation, very few racers, and people doing the fast training rides with the racers, use mirrors. It may be that we think we're too cool for mirrors. Or its the philosophy that it doesn't matter what's behind you.
Old 10-24-05, 08:58 AM
roger89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have anyone made their own mirrors? would like to share some ideas with us?
Old 10-24-05, 09:11 AM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
44.9% use mirrors. Where do you guys ride? I would bet less than 5% of the people I ride with use mirrors.
In my limited observation, very few racers, and people doing the fast training rides with the racers, use mirrors. It may be that we think we're too cool for mirrors. Or its the philosophy that it doesn't matter what's behind you.
It seems to me that when riding in a fast group, you're always looking around for the end of the 'train' to jump on, or 'did I get a gap?', a mirror won't add any information. However, if you're alone, grinding out miles solo there isn't that stimulation to keep looking around.

John Wilke
Milwaukee
Old 10-24-05, 09:48 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by soda
Just and observation but this might perhaps be an insight into the different concerns of riders with and without mirrors. Those with mirrors feel safer knowing traffic conditions all the time while those without mirrors only feel the need to take a peak. Obviously it's a personal decision but it's kinda fun to discuss the reasons for or against mirrors and now I'm wondering why those of us that don't use a mirror only feel the need to take a peak.

Thoughts?
Sure. There are a few reasons why I don't use a mirror. One reason is that I've ridden for so long without a mirror it seems unneccesary. If I need to get over into another lane, I'll look behind me first then signal with my arm. Another reason is because I race and it helps me practice craining my neck around. Another reason is that it really doesn't take much effort to quickly look behind yourself, and if you can hold your line while doing it it's probably just as safe as looking in the mirror, since even when you look in the mirror you're distracted from what is in front of you.

Usually, I'll just cock my head to the side a bit to keep the wind from whistling in my ear. That allows me to hear the traffic behind me while still looking forward. I figure this is a good way to operate until electric motors become more prevalent, or until I go deaf I look behind myself more often when going slowly, like when I'm warming up and climbing, because I figure it's more important to know where exactly cars are behind me because I'm not near even half of their speed and they'll close on me quick. When I'm going faster I don't look behind myself nearly as much, because I figure since I'm travelling closer to the speed of traffic flow I'm safer, and because at 20mph + you really should be aware of what is going on in front of you at all times. Besides, if I'm cranking at 24mph I'm in business mode my head is down and eyes are forward.
Old 10-24-05, 10:10 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I ride everything from busy multi-lane city streets to narrow mountain roads. Actually the mirror is quite handy in the mountains especially; sometimes there's zero shoulder (and a steep drop off) and you have to occupy more of the lane. I check the mirror on climbs a lot to see if there are cars behind me waiting to pass, and act accordingly (which may mean: staying in the lane so people don't try to run me off, or move to the side when safe to do so).

Of course, this can be done without a mirror, but that is not the point. It is a lot easier with the mirror, and I don't have to take my mind off of the effort (or my eyes off the road) for more than a split second.
Old 10-24-05, 10:12 AM
soda
demon speeder

Bikes: commuter: Kona Fire Mountain Road: Mongoose Pro Bosberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
garysol1: Sorry to offend or assume. I interpreted your comment "I did not realize how much I relied on it." the wrong way. There are many situations in which a crutch, which is also a tool, helps a person walk even though they can walk without it so it's not really as bad of a comparison as you thought. It was a comment on your level of comfort regarding traffic awareness not your riding skills. Read my previous post as a better explanation of my position:
Just and observation but this might perhaps be an insight into the different concerns of riders with and without mirrors. Those with mirrors feel safer knowing traffic conditions all the time while those without mirrors only feel the need to take a peak. Obviously it's a personal decision but it's kinda fun to discuss the reasons for or against mirrors and now I'm wondering why those of us that don't use a mirror only feel the need to take a peak.
I was not impuning your riding abilities and I apologize for any confusion. I don't want to imply that you or other's can't ride without a mirror. Thanks for taking the time to ask what I meant and make assumptions.
Old 10-24-05, 10:20 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by soda

Thoughts?

*I ride close to the curb whenever possible but I keep a straight line.
Here's why I don't need to know the traffic behind me all the time. If I'm riding in a straght line, two feet away from parked cars, I have confidence the driver behind me will act accordingly and provide space. The minute he decides to run me from behind while riding in a straight line, two feet from cars, I may no longer be here. This is true regardless of whether you have a mirror or not.

Would a mirror give you time to excape into the door zone or jump off the bicycle? I doubt it. Put a helmet mirror on an test it out for yourself. Try to see if you can determine which car will hit you from behind? If you can't determine this, how useful is it?

Where the mirror comes in handy is the moment you take the lane, cross into traffic or move around other vehicles. These split second critical maneuvers require alot of confidence in that small reflector because your life hangs on the line. Personally, I could not find myself putting enough trust in the device and can only trust my eyes.

On the issue for recumbents, I agree the mirror is necessary only because the rider has no option. I don't really consider this an advantage because moving into traffic based on such a small reflector without looking back is in fact a disadvantage.

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 10-24-05 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-24-05, 10:22 AM
va_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a mirror is going to be my first upgrade next season.
Old 10-24-05, 12:27 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
This thread comes at a perfect time for me. This past week, I strained my neck muscles. Talk about a pain in the neck! I know that I did this because I'm always turning around looking to see if anyone is behind me. It's that competitive thing....I hate having someone blow by me! (not that I could stop them anyway 'cause I'm not that fast!) So, now I have this stiff neck, have to take ibuprofin for a few days and will not get on the bike again until later in the week most likely.

So, I started to consider using a mirror. After reading this over, and seeing other roadies using them, I've decided to head over to REI during lunch today. It's a small investment and if I hate it, no big loss. On the other hand, I've got several canyons and roads that I ride where knowing what is behind me would be really helpful! I'm not wild about having yet another thing to carry but as with all things, you get used to whatever you can.

Sheldon
Old 10-24-05, 12:27 PM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ears....ears are more important than mirrors.
Old 10-24-05, 12:30 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by puddin' legs
Yes, listening is important, too, but it's not like we have to choose between "using a mirror" and "using our ears". It's possible to do both.
Old 10-24-05, 03:30 PM
fhall1

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started with a glasses mounted mirror, but when I got a new pair of sunglasses the mirror wouldn't clip to the new glasses frame correctly

Then I went to a large oval-shaped bar end mirror that worked well, but took away major style points

Now I use a Sprintech bar end mirror...you can see one HERE (actually they come in pairs, but I only installed the left one). It's kind of like the one folks can buy off ebay but:

1) you don't have to wrap and unwrap the bar tape to mount it
2) it's adjustable unlike the ebay one

I've had it since June and it doesn't vibrate out of adjustment on rough roads, easy to get aimed and the black housing blends with my black bar tape so well you can hardly tell it's there.

I wouldn't ride without some sort of mirror....just feels safer...
Old 10-24-05, 04:57 PM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beginner cyclists don't use mirrors. That's why the number in the poll is high. It's not often that first thing come to one's mind is a mirror when he or she gets his first bike.

It's not only a safety issue. Often I find a car behind me driving slowly, wait for me to clear its way before it makes right turn. In that situation, you won't know it's there from the sound. I can tell it's there in my mirror, so I speed up and try to clear the way for him and at the same time, I show a sign that thanking him for the patience.

If you demand to "Share the road", you should show that you are willing to share the road on your part. It can be done much easier if you have a mirror.
Old 10-24-05, 05:22 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not being able to see behind me is the best reminder that I forgot my helmet
Old 10-24-05, 05:25 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ears + eyes are better
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-24-05, 05:30 PM
rpc180

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale R700 2002 Cannondale R3000 2013 Masi CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allgoo19
Beginner cyclists don't use mirrors. That's why the number in the poll is high. It's not often that first thing come to one's mind is a mirror when he or she gets his first bike.
I would think it would be the other way around; more experienced cyclists don't use the mirror. I know I was really uncomfortable with road riding for the first 2-3 weeks until I got a mirror. It seems that the long time riders get along fine without it.
Old 10-24-05, 05:32 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by allgoo19
I'll buy that, took me 20 years before I ever used a mirror on a bicycle. 20 years after that, while I 'can' live without it, I prefer not to. Part of it might have been one of them macho things, I remember my little sister having a mirror on her Schwinn with the streamers and basket, how could I even consider one - I might have turned out strange....er..
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-24-05, 05:35 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rpc180
I would think it would be the other way around; more experienced cyclists don't use the mirror. I know I was really uncomfortable with road riding for the first 2-3 weeks until I got a mirror. It seems that the long time riders get along fine without it.
I'm still thinking use of a mirror is more related to your comfort/experience using mirrors while driving than to experience as a cyclist. I certainly don't need a mirror, got along for quite a long time without one, but I find now I consider it just another one of them handy tools that makes life a little easier and maybe a little safer.
Old 10-24-05, 06:05 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Here's why I don't need to know the traffic behind me all the time. If I'm riding in a straght line, two feet away from parked cars, I have confidence the driver behind me will act accordingly and provide space. The minute he decides to run me from behind while riding in a straight line, two feet from cars, I may no longer be here. This is true regardless of whether you have a mirror or not.

Would a mirror give you time to excape into the door zone or jump off the bicycle? I doubt it. Put a helmet mirror on an test it out for yourself. Try to see if you can determine which car will hit you from behind? If you can't determine this, how useful is it?

Where the mirror comes in handy is the moment you take the lane, cross into traffic or move around other vehicles. These split second critical maneuvers require alot of confidence in that small reflector because your life hangs on the line. Personally, I could not find myself putting enough trust in the device and can only trust my eyes.

On the issue for recumbents, I agree the mirror is necessary only because the rider has no option. I don't really consider this an advantage because moving into traffic based on such a small reflector without looking back is in fact a disadvantage.
Excuse my chuckle Steve, it's just that your post reminds me so much of the recent 'helmet scam' thread where many felt that a few folks (probably including me) were actually trying to talk them out of using helmets. I don't wear a helmet (mostly) and I can think of lots of reasons why not, just as you don't use a mirror and can think of lots of reasons why not. I guess they are both personal choices. I ride with no helmet, but use a mirror, I will take the liberty of assuming you ride with a helmet, but no mirror. In the end, we hopefully always get from point A to point B without major mishap, maybe sharing some pie when we do. ooOO(mmm, pie).

To your point, the other day I was stuck in two lanes of traffic that was moving slowly, about 10mph, fairly steady, but with a bit of stop-n-go. I'm not big on splitting lanes or passing on the right, so I had taken the lane and was moving with the flow of traffic. I'm having to pay attention to what is going on ahead of course, but just like when I drive, I am always glancing in the mirror to get an idea what is going on behind me too. Not surprisingly, here comes some guy a ways back, weaving in and out from lane to lane, cutting people off in an effort to gain a few seconds of time. He weaves into my lane behind the car behind me to pass someone with the gall to leave some distance between his car and the one in front of him, then back to the left lane, closing in on me and the car to the left of me. I turned and gave him a look, trying to make eye contact as he accelerated up the left lane, but I can tell that he just doesn't see me and I know darn well that when he clears the guy behind me he's gonna jerk over into the right lane again...right where I am. So I start hammering to get right up on the bumper of the guy in front of me, hoping to make an alleyway that is about 10 yards ahead of me now, which I did, just as he swerved right, as I expected him too, missing me by like a foot as I leaned into the turn into the alley.

I won't say that I might not have avoided him without the mirror, but I am sure the fact that I saw him and his bad behavior much earlier because I spotted him in my mirror helped me to escape by more than just luck. That's the thing I like about mirrors, they provide just a bit more situtational awareness to plan for Murphy's Law than just my hearing and the hair rising on the back of my neck.
Old 10-24-05, 08:51 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm truly split on this one. When commuting I usa a mirror. When traversing the high density neighborhoods I live and work in I find it a great tool, particularly at intersections. The din of noise is such that hearing just isn't that reliable and sometimes I want to peek without telegraphing it to the world.
Just another arrow in my quill, if you will.
On my roadie I don't, though sometimes I think I should. There I pick the roads and ride a bit faster and am able to be a bit more dynamic with my head movements. Less trafficed roads also make the doppler effect more useful for judging approaching vehicles.
Different circumstances call for different equipment.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 10-24-05, 09:03 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I disagree, how many times have you been riding and had a hard time hearing anything because of the wind in your ears?
Old 10-25-05, 12:19 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The same could be said regarding your car...have you removed the "unnecessary" mirrors from your car?

That's not what I use my mirror for. Instead, I use it to ride more assertively. For instance, if I see 2 or 3 cars coming up from behind on my morning commute (on a shoulderless semi-rural road, with 45 mph speed limit), and the first car in line is not moving over very far, I'll move my bike to the left in the lane when they're still about 75 yards back. This forces the first car to move left, allowing the others to see me. I'm generally not worried about the FIRST car to pass me, because I ride far enough from the line, and use the mirror to monitor them as they overtake. But, I'm a lot more worried about the teenager tailgating that first car (while trying to change a CD, and talk on their cell phone at the same time). Using the mirror in these cases allows me to easily force all of the traffic to give me a wider berth as they pass. Even if they don't move very far, I then have plenty of room left on the right to move into as they pass me.

Without the mirror, I'd have to be constantly checking behind me...with the mirror, a simple glance gives me all the "situational awareness" I need to control the situation. I suppose if you're riding in heavy urban traffic where you're generally moving at about the same speed as the cars, this is less useful...but, for those of us who ride on less travelled, or higher speed roads, the mirror increases ones awareness exactly the same as those in your car.

I always double-check over my shoulder, but with a good mirror (e.g., the Take-a-Look), it's less dangerous than a "mirrors only" lane change in your car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.