Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upgrading...I have caught the disease...help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Upgrading...I have caught the disease...help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 08:21 AM
Hickeydog
Crushing souls

Bikes: Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Floor pump, CO2 and inflater, water bottles (you can never have enough of those), nice helmet, computer, gloves. You will want gloves when you go down at 20 mph. chain lube. cleaning supplies, sunglasses (I use 5 for a buck Marc's sunglasses. Much cheaper when you break them.)Bibs, jerseys, maybe a few sweat bands, tubes, multi tool. Tool set. Stand.

What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.
Old 09-01-08, 09:48 AM
TeddyKGB
STICK IT IN YOU

Bikes: Giant XTC 2, Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsyptak
Sounds like you really want to upgrade that front der. I'd go for it, but wouldn't go above 105 because there's no point since the rest of you bike is 105. It's only about $40 and it will make you feel better. Don't expect it to perform better, FD's don't give you that.

Wheelsets are another component that is worth upgrading. This is because you can easily take the wheelset with you when you get a new bike. Save the old wheels and put them back on the 2.1 when you sell it to upgrade to a better bike. It's not worth it to upgrade to Ultegra. Better off getting a whole new bike IMO.

Other things easy to swap from one bike to another are saddle, post (assuming same size), stem.

For $500, you could get

Xero XR-1 wheelset $230
Thomson Elite post $80
Ritchey 4-Axis stem $80
Saddle $100
FD $40

I bought this wheelset 2 years ago and after a few thousand miles on it can't justify replacing it with anything else. It works perfectly and is ridiculously light for the money. Nothing comes close. It isn't a bling wheelset though like Ksyrium SLs, but you do get about 4 wheelsets for the same price.
Thanks for all the recommendations! I'm definitely getting a new saddle. No doubt about that. The Bontrager stock one is horrible. I thought upgrading the front der. would be a lot more expensive than 40 dollars. What exactly would I need to go about replacing it? Since it is only $40, I might as well do it...

I only want to have a full 105 set up. I'm not looking to go above that right now. Maybe on my next bike...
Old 09-01-08, 09:57 AM
jinws
one good leg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't upgrade anything right now, well, except for the saddle. put your money towards comfort. bibs, jerseys, warmers, nice sun glasses......

then if you have money left over, a repair stand, basic tools, good floor pump.
edit: maybe a Garmin?
Old 09-01-08, 10:03 AM
TeddyKGB
STICK IT IN YOU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jinws
don't upgrade anything right now, well, except for the saddle. put your money towards comfort. bibs, jerseys, warmers, nice sun glasses......

then if you have money left over, a repair stand, basic tools, good floor pump.
edit: maybe a Garmin?
It looks like that is what I'm going to do. I'm for sure getting a saddle, some bibs, and some jerseys. Also, I'm going to upgrade the front der., if it is only $40 why not? I do want to get a repair stand as well. Any recommendations for a decent priced stand?

I did think about getting a Garmin but I don't think it is necessary. The computer I have on my bike right now is working fine and I don't think I'd have much use for one. I'm not like umd where I take 130 mile rides as a warm up
Old 09-01-08, 10:45 AM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your bike is a triple you might score a deal on an Ultegra derailleur. Go to https://www.qbike.com for some deals. Searching for FD should get you Shimano ones, or FD 560 or FD 660. You'll need to determine the diameter of your seat tube so you get the correct clamp.
Old 09-01-08, 02:48 PM
TeddyKGB
STICK IT IN YOU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsyptak
If your bike is a triple you might score a deal on an Ultegra derailleur. Go to https://www.qbike.com for some deals. Searching for FD should get you Shimano ones, or FD 560 or FD 660. You'll need to determine the diameter of your seat tube so you get the correct clamp.
No, it is a double. I looked on that site but I couldn't find the 105 front der. Will it clearly state Shimano 105 front der. or is it under another name?
Old 09-01-08, 07:31 PM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TeddyKGB
No, it is a double. I looked on that site but I couldn't find the 105 front der. Will it clearly state Shimano 105 front der. or is it under another name?
FD 5600, and I believe you need a clamp-on, not a braze on. Couple of good deals on Fleabay at the bottom of this page. Qbike.com searches some online bike shops and Ebay.

https://www.qbike.com/cgi-bin/find.cg...d+5600&auct=on

Also search for FD 6600 which is Ultegra. Who knows, you might get lucky.
Old 09-02-08, 05:49 PM
TeddyKGB
STICK IT IN YOU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So after my ride today I went down to the LBS because that extra money was burning a hole in my pocket. I was determined to find a new saddle because after todays ride I couldn't take it anymore. That damn Bontrager saddle feels like your sitting on the edge of a boulder. The guy at the bike shop let me try some of the saddles and I had it narrowed down to the Specialized Toupe and the Fizik Arione. The Arione won out and I bought that one in the blue color w/ the silver stripe down the middle. I also bought some Fizik bar tape to match w/ the saddle (already put it on and I must say, for my first time I did a pretty damn good job ). Also, I picked up two Camelbak Podium waterbottles and some Assos Chamois cream.

When I got back I placed an order for some Vittoria Rubino Pros from PBK for $18 each and on the way home picked up the Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair at Barnes and Noble.
I still have some money left and I think I'm going to take up everyones recommendations and get some new clothes. I saw some bibs on the Hammer website that looked decent (anyone have any experience w/ these?).

After putting on the saddle, bar tape, and podium watterbottles (all in blue) I'm VERY happy with the look of my bike. The Rubino Pros that I ordered have the blue lining so I think they will fit very nicely with the whole blue/silver color scheme (I will post pics once I get the tires). After todays ride I have decided not to worry myself w/ the componentry. The bike is running fine and I'm just a casual rider so I'm not going to waste my money on the front derailleur. So, how'd I do?
Old 09-09-08, 06:08 PM
TeddyKGB
STICK IT IN YOU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, everything finally arrived. Today I swapped out the saddle, bartape, and tires. I'm pretty pleased w/ the look of it. Let me know what you think.

Before:

After:

The saddle and bartape are Fizik and the tires are Vittoria Rubino Pros. Just so you don't think I blew all the money, I still have about 400 of it and I also bought some new jerseys and bibs.

EDIT: Sorry about the pictures, I can't figure out how to flip them.
Old 09-09-08, 06:37 PM
rcams

Bikes: DeBernardi road ... Pedal Force RS2....Gary Fisher mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn you Man, get out NOW before it's too late ! This sport will suck the life out of every account and relationship that you have today! Don't you think it's strange how quickly you got so many and such different suggestions on ways to spend your money? We're all lost souls damned to a life of searching for upgrades......get out before it's too late....
Old 09-10-08, 12:45 AM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice job
Old 09-10-08, 04:35 AM
bunaka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't go spending money on a front der. They're all pretty much the same. I mean, all they do is move the chain between two rings relatively infrequently.

I recently stripped the thread on a modern Campy der. (by overtightening the bolt which secures the gear cable). I replaced it with a Suntour BL I had lying around and I think it's actually smoother.

Like those above suggest, items which increase your comfort and reduce rotating weight (lighter tyres etc.) are the best value for money - unlike tubulars. Good luck.
Old 09-10-08, 04:42 AM
bunaka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, for a neat finish, cut your bar tape at the stem like this:
https://bp3.blogger.com/_TbmplkIYLx8/...h/100_2802.JPG

From this guide:
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...ebar-tape.html
Old 09-10-08, 08:12 AM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have had my bike for 28 days. I love it and am completely happy with it. I ride about 75 miles a week and the best part of my day is when I get on the bike. I absolutely love this sport. Problem is, I can't stop thinking about how to make my bike better, even though I am a casual rider.

I have come into some extra money and want to use it on my bike. I can't decide where to spend the money. I know for sure I want to get a new saddle (the stock Bontrager is horrible) and I'm still deciding what to get. I still have around 400-500 dollars after I buy the saddle. My bike has a 105 rear derailleur and a Tiagra front derailleur and I was thinking about upgrading the Tiagra derailleur. Do you think I would notice a performance difference or should the money go elsewhere? Any recommendations? Thanks!
Very little difference, except in shifting (it would be smoother, most likely). The change of saddle will make the ride much more comfortable, which may make you pedal harder and go faster.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 09-10-08, 08:12 AM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking good!

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 09-10-08, 09:37 AM
TeddyKGB
STICK IT IN YOU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys!

Another question: On my Rubino Pros is says to inflate to minimum 100 psi, maximum 140 psi. I have them pumped up to 120 psi on both. Would that be sufficient or should I pump them up more?
Old 09-10-08, 10:02 AM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
120 is fine for day to day, my wife has the Rubino Pros and I she usually keeps them around that.

Nice job on the upgrades, I just put the same bar tape on my cross bike and like it a lot, looks sharp.
Old 09-10-08, 10:05 AM
TeddyKGB
STICK IT IN YOU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Thanks man!
Old 09-10-08, 10:14 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
that looks tasty! glad you're having fun riding and upgrading.

bicycling for me has always been the perfect marriage of athletics and my love for mechanical things and wrenching. so ya, I like to put new parts on, experiment etc. Good job.

I just got done giving my '03 cf Trek a face lift with new wheels, bar tape and I even painted the fork and head tube. It's like I have a new bike.
Old 09-10-08, 10:49 AM
Anti404

Bikes: 2015 Scott Solace 30, 2007 CAAD9 Optimo 1

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks to be a nice bike. How are those Vittorias working for you? I'm interested in buying some new tires.
Old 09-10-08, 11:06 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Anti404
Looks to be a nice bike. How are those Vittorias working for you? I'm interested in buying some new tires.
sorry, i know you're asking the OP, but i have to chime in here and say that Rubino Pros are fantastic tires. I've been using them for a few years and like the ride and puncture resistance. They look good too if that matters. again, my apologies for jumping in here.
Old 09-10-08, 11:39 AM
Fremdchen

Bikes: 2007 Fuji hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure you get a BLUE jersey!

Seriously though, looking good. My ride is blue/silver and I like to match it all up too. I even have blue shorts and socks.
Old 09-10-08, 12:02 PM
weavers

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
i bought a sora bike(w/ cf fork) about 2 months ago, i've put serval miles on it. but on nashabar they have Ultegra shifters for only 150bucks. thats a amazing deal for a 10speed. i would really like a 10speed but i don't think its worth the money of a new chain, front/rear derailer, crank and bottom bracket. i could install most of it myself(excluding the bottom bracket), but the cost would be a minium of 300 dollars with ebay and cheap compoents. and for what to not lose 10cadaence when shifted from here to there. i'd probably lose a 1-1.5lbs off my bike though.(my crank is really heavy).

i spent 430 on my bike, 220 on neuvation m28 aero, say 140 on shorts, jersey, sunglasses, tubes, pump, leavers, patch kit. i probably need a new helmet and clipless petals/shoes, just using toe straps atm. at the time i couldn't find a 105 bike under 1 thousand dollars, but 2 months later i can. i dunno maybe i shouldn't of been so cheap in the begining, either way i love riding my bike and i'll get faster with training.
Old 09-10-08, 12:08 PM
celerystalksme
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had my bike for 28 days. I love it and am completely happy with it. I ride about 75 miles a week and the best part of my day is when I get on the bike. I absolutely love this sport. Problem is, I can't stop thinking about how to make my bike better, even though I am a casual rider.

I have come into some extra money and want to use it on my bike. I can't decide where to spend the money. I know for sure I want to get a new saddle (the stock Bontrager is horrible) and I'm still deciding what to get. I still have around 400-500 dollars after I buy the saddle. My bike has a 105 rear derailleur and a Tiagra front derailleur and I was thinking about upgrading the Tiagra derailleur. Do you think I would notice a performance difference or should the money go elsewhere? Any recommendations? Thanks!
get the new saddle for sure! as for the derailleurs...don't bother. keep the 500 and save up some more and get a nice set of wheels! that you'll feel for sure!
Old 09-10-08, 01:40 PM
TeddyKGB
STICK IT IN YOU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
sorry, i know you're asking the OP, but i have to chime in here and say that Rubino Pros are fantastic tires. I've been using them for a few years and like the ride and puncture resistance. They look good too if that matters. again, my apologies for jumping in here.
I just took them on a ride today, 30 miles total. I loved them. I would definitely recommend them and at the PBK price, they are totally worth it.

Originally Posted by weavers
i bought a sora bike(w/ cf fork) about 2 months ago, i've put serval miles on it. but on nashabar they have Ultegra shifters for only 150bucks. thats a amazing deal for a 10speed. i would really like a 10speed but i don't think its worth the money of a new chain, front/rear derailer, crank and bottom bracket. i could install most of it myself(excluding the bottom bracket), but the cost would be a minium of 300 dollars with ebay and cheap compoents. and for what to not lose 10cadaence when shifted from here to there. i'd probably lose a 1-1.5lbs off my bike though.(my crank is really heavy).

i spent 430 on my bike, 220 on neuvation m28 aero, say 140 on shorts, jersey, sunglasses, tubes, pump, leavers, patch kit. i probably need a new helmet and clipless petals/shoes, just using toe straps atm. at the time i couldn't find a 105 bike under 1 thousand dollars, but 2 months later i can. i dunno maybe i shouldn't of been so cheap in the begining, either way i love riding my bike and i'll get faster with training.
I'm in the same boat. When I was looking, I couldn't find full 105 for my price range. Now, by some mystery I can. I even waited about two months but still couldn't find anything. I got a good deal on my bike last month and so far have logged 400 miles on it. I'm not good enough to notice the difference between Tiagra and 105 so I'm definitely happy w/ what I have. Next upgrade is wheels. I still have 400 dollars....any recommendations?

Thanks for all the compliments everyone, I really appreciate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.