Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Checking Calibration of Computer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-08, 07:36 PM
Shipht
Freezing Member

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently picked up a Cat Eye Strada Cadence, and it seems to be setup properly according to the manual. But is there anyway to assure the calibration, my main concern is that it did not specify where abouts on the wheel to place the magnet / sensor.
Old 07-26-08, 08:02 PM
rcams

Bikes: DeBernardi road ... Pedal Force RS2....Gary Fisher mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't matter where you place the magnet - one revolution is one revolution. The only things to consider are the distance from the transmitter to the receiver if it wireless, and then the diameter of your actual wheel and tire combination. I like to roll the wheel out for a full revolution and measure the distance on the floor because the diameters given in the instruction manual are usually just estimates and the tire itself can make the actual number vary.
Old 07-26-08, 08:14 PM
Shipht
Freezing Member

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, sounds good. I went by the Specialized site for tire size which seems to match up properly. (700x23Cs)

And I'm not too concerned if its only marginally off.
Old 07-26-08, 08:33 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
What is your margin? If your cyclometer is off by 3% or more, and many are when using the guide, the end of a century ride is going to be pretty vague.

Measuring your rollout is pretty easy, put masking tape on the ground and a bit if masking tape on the tire and line them up, roll out one or more revolutions along a straight line with you on the bike, put another piece of masking tape down, and measure the distance in millimeters.
Old 07-26-08, 08:36 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MKahrl
What is your margin? If your cyclometer is off by 3% or more, and many are when using the guide, the end of a century ride is going to be pretty vague.

Measuring your rollout is pretty easy, put masking tape on the ground and a bit if masking tape on the tire and line them up, roll out one or more revolutions along a straight line with you on the bike, put another piece of masking tape down, and measure the distance in millimeters.
Especially with you on the bike; your body weight will deform the tire just a smidge, changing the axle-to-road distance by just a smidge. If you want to get even more picky, do it for ten revolutions, measure the total distance, then divide by ten.
Old 07-26-08, 08:38 PM
hmto

Bikes: SC Nomad, Commencal 5.2, Cannondale Synapse Carbon1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always roll the wheel for correct measurement. Best way to do it and only takes a couple minutes.
Old 07-26-08, 10:52 PM
Laplacian

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 6 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shipht
<snip> my main concern is that it did not specify where abouts on the wheel to place the magnet / sensor.
Another performance/reliability enhancement would be to place the sensor/magnet as close to the center of the wheel as possible. The wheel (linear speed) is the lowest toward the center so the magnet travels slower past the sensor and gives the the sensor plenty of opportunity to detect it. The cranks spin much slower than the wheel so you don't need to worry about this for the cadence sensor--just put that magnet anywhere (mine is at the end).

Also, I had to put a rubber spacer to push the cadence magnet close enough to the sensor to get it close enough to register movement on the cadence sensor. I think that's pretty common. The magnet (both wheel and cadence) have to pass really close to the sensor (within a few mm).

BTW, I have a Cateye Strada w/cadence and I really like it. It's been perfect so far, the numbers are big and easy to read, and the "one button" operation is pretty nice because you can basically push anywhere along the entire bottom end. My HR computer (separate unit) has regular/small buttons and I never push it while I ride--too annoying to try and push with my thumbnail.