Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help me choose a new bike ($1500)

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Help me choose a new bike ($1500)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-05, 07:14 AM
Akak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Rider
While that thought of building my own did enter my mind, I would need to learn a lot more about all the component suppliers before I could do it. Besides, it would seem that a $1500 bike would cost at least $2000 if you bought it piece by piece (or is that incorrect?)
It's not as intimidating as you would think, especially with the help of folks on this board. The way I did it was to copy a similarly priced Trek and then swap out parts with what I wanted. The hardest part for me was the frame. I ended up buying a "temporary" frame for super cheap ($99 brand new) and liked it so much I've stuck with it.

Here's a starting point for components for a $1500-ish hardtail:

Drivetrain (Crank, derailleurs, chain, cassette, shifters): Shimano LX
Brakes: Avid Mech
Brake Levers: Avid SD-7
Wheels: Pre-built Shimano LX w/Mavic 717 rims (most online shops have these made already)
Bars, Stem, Headset, Seatpost: Ritchey Pro (can choose better stuff if you have money left at the end)
Saddle: Personal preference
Pedals: Crank Bros. Eggbeater SS
Tires, Grips, etc.: Personal preference

I *think* all that will run you under $1000. In fact, I think my parts were right at $1000 and I used XT drivetrain, a Thompson seatpost, and Raceface headset/stem. This leaves $500+ for a frame and fork. You'll then need to pay to have it built unless you're comfortable building it yourself. I had mine built by my local shop and they gave me a great deal since I bought the drivetrain and wheels through them.

You can price this stuff out at www.pricepoint.com, www.cambriabike.com, and www.jensonusa.com.

Even if you decide you don't want to build it up yourself or that it's more expensive than the Specialized you're looking at, at least you've gained some knowledge of what components cost and can better gauge the value of your Specialized. And, like I said above, it's fun

Last edited by Akak; 04-27-05 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-27-05, 02:17 PM
Good Times
This one time...

Bikes: Devinci Chillipepper 05, Scwinn Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey desert rider..I'm in the same boat. I'm 6'3" 240 and looking for a f/s. I ride north shore BC mountains and need the strong frame. I'm looking at DEVINCI bikes right now, the Chilipepper to be exact, and it seems to have what I want. A good strong base frame, good suspension, decent drive train, and good brakes. I am opting for the better "core" of the bike (frame, suspension) over bells and whistles as I just keep smashing all my deraillers anyway. Devinci is a Canadian company from Montreal and is making a good name for themselves. They had a rough start but over the last couple years have really improved. I am spending $1500 Can on one and am giddy as a little school girl in anticipation of my first ride.....hehehehehehe.....I know this post seems a day late but though I'd throw in my two bits.....
Old 04-27-05, 02:30 PM
GreyGoat

Bikes: 85 Ross Mt Rainier(for winter road use), 86 Centurion Ironman Master, 92 trek 2300,2005 Iron Horse HollowPoint Expert

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i went FSR and I would never want to be without it .. I'm big and heavy.. 6'2" and about 220lbs, I picked up an Iron Horse Hollowpoint Expert '05' with SPV from supergo for $1450.. and I can set it up for little bob at all.. it's not as light as a rigid at about 31lbs(heavy wheels/tires - tubeless) but its less over the weight over a bike 3 times the price than I am over race weight.. go FSR, you'll never regret it.. if you buy one.. you will end up offroad.. no way around it.. it will draw you in.. you will end up looking into places you have never gone or dreamed of..
Old 04-28-05, 08:34 AM
Desert Rider

Bikes: Mtn.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Times, GreyGoat;
I think we are all in similar situation except I am leaning toward the cross country style bike for my desert riding. I hope my 'conservative riding style' will not overstress the frame of a lighter bike. I will be looking at a full suspension Giant Trance 3 today. I finally found a shop that has one in set up and available for a test ride, it is an 18" frame (too small), but I hope to get a feel for the Maestro suspension. If it seems to fit my needs I may have them order me one in a 20" frame, the price is $1650, so it will have to impress me to get the nod.

Another contender is the 2005 GT Avalanche 0.5 (a nice light hardtail at $999), it is a nice looking bike with good components at an attractive price if I choose to go hardtail.

I have all but ruled out the 2004 Haro Extreme X3 (a FS All Mountain type bike, 5-6" suspension, weight of 40 lbs). I don't think I want that much suspension travel, and would like less weight. (But I like the great components and the sale price of $999).

I never found a Kona in a size I could test ride which is a shame as they come highly reccomended, and I have not tested a Specialized bike. The Specialized that looks good to me (on paper) is the Stumpjumper FSR 100 Disc but at $2000 MSRP it is more than I am willing to invest now.

Intrent searching, Calling local shops, Looking around, and Test riding has been somewhat fun, but I'm ready to pull the trigger and get something to ride! Bummer that half the bikes I want are seemingly unavailable.

Last edited by Desert Rider; 04-28-05 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-28-05, 02:35 PM
Desert Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Test rode four more bikes today, one nice hardtail and three FS Giants (Reign 3, Trance 3, and the 2004 model perdecessor to the Trance/Reign).

The Trance 3 was wonderful! It just felt right when I rode it. So good I bought it (almost), they had to order one in my size (20" frame, tested a 18" frame one). Is supposed to be here and built up by May 7th.

Thanks to all for the assistance in this search!

Edited to add: Got it from Performance Bicycles (a big chain), it goes on sale in May for $100 off so they gave me the sale price of $1549.

Last edited by Desert Rider; 04-28-05 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-28-05, 03:37 PM
.:MTB:.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet. Post some pictures.
Old 04-30-05, 11:49 PM
Desert Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help guys! I ordered the Trance 3 and thought my problems were over for a while. Now I'm sitting by the phone waiting for the bike shop to call and tell me to "come and get it".

Anxious as a kid waiting for Christmas, you would think at 51 this would wear off. (I hope it never does) Told a few close friends I was getting a new mountain bike, a couple non-riders looked at me like I was from Mars, gave me that "what the hell are you gonna do" look. I know exactly what I'm gonna do, Have fun, explore some new places, and get in better shape so that I can ride harder! Had the old full rigid bike out today puttin in a couple easy miles on a nice day.
Old 05-30-05, 11:58 PM
daskobtimburt

Bikes: fishers-sugars and big sur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my sugar, but it is not a 29er. Has anyone out there ridden a 29er on a trail? (29ers have 29" wheels, and are supposed to roll over stuff like rocks and ruts easier than 26" wheels.)