Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Back to Biking...again...Lots to lose too!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 11:56 AM
Sierrarider

Bikes: 2000 Schwinn Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, my name is Shawn, and I live just north of Pittsburgh. I am getting back into bike riding for the exercise and weight loss. Let me tell you how its going.

I started this crazy idea in March of losing weight. I was topping the chart at 382 lbs, at 49 years old. I was, and sometimes still am, ashamed to go anywhere or do anything at all. Something had to be done... I decided to simply lose the soda pop, and cut back on my portions, oh, and that little thing called exercise, add a little of that too.

Jump to today, I am now at 331, and dropping... I am very happy about that. When I decided to go back to cycling, a friend wanted to look at my mountain bike as I was whining about how the bike trail at Moraine State Park just about killed me. He told me to look for a comfort bike, without the big shock in the center. I found this for $50 bucks...It's a 2000 Schwinn Sierra.

I added a few things, like double drink holders, phone holder, lights, (in the rare case I want to ride the trail at night) but its still not easy to do Moraine Bike trail. I think I need to find a FLATTER rail trail and use that for a while.

All I can say, is if you all want to lose the weight, you can. I didn't think it was possible for me, but now, to be perfectly honest, I am enjoying it.

Looking forward to being a member of this group!

Shawn

My Weight Loss blog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mysierra.jpg (44.2 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Sierrarider; 08-10-14 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 11:58 AM
Roadrash3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome and good job
Old 08-08-14, 12:02 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Hey Shawn,

Welcome to Bike Forums.

Thanks for the bike pic.

Old 08-08-14, 02:26 PM
1loosemoose

Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.3FX,2015 Trek Domane 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job on the weight loss!
Old 08-08-14, 03:05 PM
salreus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being heavy and new to cycling, I love rail trails. Or other multi-use trails. And if you don't plan on going up and down a lot of hills, changing out the cassette might be a good idea. It's very cheap to do and having the gears closer together makes it easier to find a comfortable gear to pedal in. It's made such a huge difference to me on my rides.
Old 08-08-14, 03:25 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to BF! Congrats on the weight loss.

Enjoy your ride.
Old 08-08-14, 03:40 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Welcome Shawn. Congrats on your weight loss! That is a lot of weight in a short amount of time. Enjoy the ride.
Old 08-08-14, 07:48 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shawn welcome to bike forums - clydesdales forum. You will find the group here helpful for any questions you have and will provide inspiration too.

Congrats on your weight lose. You have found one of the secrets to weight loss find something you enjoy doing.

Best of luck
Old 08-08-14, 08:40 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 86 Posts
Welcome Shawn, congrats on the weight loss. Embrace those hills however they come they will make you weigh less and be stronger. Your story is an inspiration to others, keep it up.
Old 08-09-14, 05:53 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 946 Posts
Great job Shawn....keep it up !
Old 08-09-14, 06:06 AM
Badawg

Bikes: Pedego City Commuter, Mongoose MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Shawn. Congrats on decision to start losing the weight. I like your bike and it is a good start. Weight loss is a long term project and remember that it can be put back on. For me the carbs have been my nemesis. If I can keep my carbs to less than 20 per day I can loose weight. I have set different goals to keep encouraged such as shooting for 300 lbs [I am now 315]. When I get to 250 I want to reward myself with a new bike. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-09-14, 06:24 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You're well on your way!
Old 08-09-14, 06:24 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Shawn that is stupendous :-).

Looking at your bike the position of the seat clamp has me puzzled ? I have a similar clamp and when it is clamped it is not in that position ?

Bill
Old 08-09-14, 08:42 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Welcome Shawn, you're very close to my neck of the woods. I'm near Emlenton, or to be more exact, Eau Claire up Rt. 38. Howdy neighbor. I know Moraine very well. That is a tough one for us clydes with all the little hills. Beautiful ride though.

Give google a search for Sandy Creek trail. It starts out near Sandy Lake and crosses over the Alleghheny on the Belmar bridge. It is ever so slightly uphill for 12 miles, almost imperceptible uphill, like 0.5% grade. I love that trail because of coming back and you feel like you are flat but gaining about 4-5 mph over the ride up.

The Allegheny River trail starts out in Emlenton. You can't get less flat than that. I rode it almost every day last year when I started in August. It runs 30ish miles flat the whole way to Franklin. Or there is a short section paved between Foxburg and Parker. It just isn't open the other way between Foxburg and Emlenton. If you ride from Emlenton and make your way up to a 12 mile ride, make sure you have a light. There's a tunnel 5.5 miles from Emlenton. I love going through the tunnel. There's a 2nd tunnel in Kennerdale at the 12 mile mark from Emlenton.

I work in East Butler so lately I've just been going up Bonniebrook at the light on 422 and jumping on the Butler-Freeport Community trail and riding my daily ride (when I get a chance this year.) There is no trailhead in Butler yet. I think the plan is to start in Father Marinara Park. It runs clear to Freeport. Starting at Bonniebrook towards Freeport it has some very slight up and down like 0.5 to 1% grade. I ride 5-10 miles down the trail and back, which is Cabot where I turn arounf. After Cabot it starts heading down hill a bit steeper the rest of the way to Freeport. The trail crosses over Rt 28. I haven't ridden the whole thing, but want to start out in Freeport and ride to Butler some time so I'm going uphill to start and finish downhill.

So, check out some of these trails. We have quite a few around the area. Maybe we'll see each other out there some time. I'd like to invite you to ride with me but I never know when I have time as my wife works just about every weekend. Maybe we can get together though some time. And congrats on the loss so far.

Oh, adding this since I checked out a bit of your blog in your signature. First, though perhaps we knew each other as I work with a Shawn who is of fair size. Nope, not you after seeing your picture. Interesting job, is it the BART bus you drive? Anyway, the reason for this addition, you mention the amount of people you see at Moraine. I know,it can get very busy there. On the trails I outlay here, I hardly see any one. The Butler-Freeport I'll see someone about every 3 miles on a 10 mile ride. Sandy Creek will get a little busy on the weekend, but nothing like Moraine. The Allegheny River trail, I rode 30 miles, 15 out and back and only saw 2 other people.I hardly ever see folks on that trail.

Last edited by mrodgers; 08-09-14 at 09:03 PM.