Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

STP panic - could someone please share info?

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 03:15 PM
blk

Bikes: 2009 Scott Addict R3, 2003 Cannondale XR1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been off the bike for a month with a sinus infection and am just now starting to ride again. I'm signed up for my first STP next Friday and am panicking about the intensity of the ride. Additionally, I have no idea what the overnight arrangements are and how to prepare for those. Like an idiot, I chose to pick up my packet at the start rather than pay the $15 mailing fee, figuring that the route map and camping information would be shared some other way (I haven't seen it anywhere). Does anyone have a map/elevation profile and camping instructions they could share with me? I can provide my e-mail - thanks!
Old 07-01-11, 04:22 PM
hover2pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Blk,

The cascade website is not the best, but the route is up: https://shop.cascade.org/content/events/stp-route-map
Here are some elevation profiles from map my ride: https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/19872000 (Day 1)
https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/20112288 (Day 2)
There's not a lot of info about the camping, but here is what's posted: https://shop.cascade.org/content/even...ousing#camping.
The hills really aren't that bad/intense. You'll be okay
Have fun!
Old 07-01-11, 05:06 PM
moleman76

Bikes: Stella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
blk, welcome up north. Spend some time on the STP site, download the rider guide from the site and look it over. This will give you the route map and all of the info you need.

Since you mention camping, I'm guessing you're planning on the two-day approach. Good news is that CBC will move up to two bags for you in their yellow moving trucks; you just need to get the stuff to the start line and pick which place you want to camp.

I have no experience with the camping side of STP (I try for one-day rides), but both Centralia at 100 miles and Chehalis another 10 miles down the road are quite do-able. Having glanced over at the camp areas at both, I'd say Chehalis looks a bit less intense, but there's probably more to keep one amused in Centralia. Many opportunities for carbo-loading in either city. Sunday morning, get up bright and early, stow your gear and put it in the truck again (I think the trucks leave by 8:00 or before) and head on south.

You can search for "STP route" with Google and find a few with profiles. Bike Route Toaster, Map My Ride, Bikely.com, etc. all have them too. The finish route in Portland this year is going over the St John's Bridge instead of through the north part of downtown, so that will probably be different than most that you would see posted.

I think I counted about 18 or 20 "climbs". The Puyallup Hill, and the Napavine Hill, are the major ones. I can think of 4 or 5 hills in the Eugene area that make these look like molehills. The others vary from tall overpasses, to a steep block in Seattle, to some "false flat" sections, to some rollers north of Longview.

Just take it easy and watch out for the other 7500 2-day riders.
Old 07-01-11, 07:47 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
If you web search "STP Camping" you'll see options to pre-register for camping at various locations. Put your bag on the truck going to wherever you are going to stop and then enjoy the ride. None of the hills are that bad, just grind up them. I've only done 1 day STP's, but if I was going to do a 2 day, I would go furter than Centralia on day 1. Get as many miles knocked out as you can the first day, cause it's going to be hard to get back on your bike day 2...
Old 07-03-11, 03:03 PM
Daveyboy

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works SL2, Redline Conquest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodway
If you web search "STP Camping" you'll see options to pre-register for camping at various locations. Put your bag on the truck going to wherever you are going to stop and then enjoy the ride. None of the hills are that bad, just grind up them. I've only done 1 day STP's, but if I was going to do a 2 day, I would go furter than Centralia on day 1. Get as many miles knocked out as you can the first day, cause it's going to be hard to get back on your bike day 2...
+1. You'll be fine. just follow the masses on the ride - it's pretty flat. I wouldn't worry about the 'P' hill or the 'N' - both very do-able. I've only done this in one day, but some day i'll do it in 2 and will likely stay at Castle Rock. Not sure what I'd do all day if I stopped at mid point. Good luck, relax and enjoy the ride.
Old 07-03-11, 05:42 PM
moleman76

Bikes: Stella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the idea of Castle Rock for the first day.

As far as the intensity of the hills -- I'd compare either P or N to Bailey Hill Road, from Kennedy Jr. High on toward the Lorane Highway. Back when I was young and silly, I stomped my way over it in my 50x14 high gear on my Raleigh Grand Prix. Just to say I could. Now, lower gears are friendlier.
Old 07-05-11, 09:58 AM
TBatty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done STP as a two day twice, both with my wife who is not a strong rider, and we got through just fine. In addition to camping, a number of churches and civic clubs open up their buildings for riders to stay in, for a fee. Dinner and breakfast is often included.

I have stayed at the Lions club in Vader, about 120 miles in to the ride. Good food, limited shower facilities, indoor bike parking offered, and at St. Johns church in Chehalis, also good food, more showers, and indoor parking. Last year they also have a number of massage therapists on site, and they provided nice thick air matresses.

If you can still get a bike hook, I would say Amtrak is the best way to get to Seattle. My first year I had to fix some damage done to my bike using the STP trucks.

Have fun, don't sweat it, the hills are not that bad.