Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clothing question (please no judgement) LOL

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-26-20, 09:33 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts

Cycling bibs and shorts are expensive and it seems like good deals can be had on used ones which are nearly new - makes sense, people get in and out of the sport all the time.

Is there a fundamental difference in men's cycling shorts vs. women's in terms of fit, or is it purely marketing?

I have NO problem wearing 'women's' cycling shorts, black lycra is black lycra, it makes no difference what the label says, but I am not sure if there are fundamental fit differences like there are in, say, blue jeans.

I have only had a few pairs of shorts/bibs, all men's, but there are some good deals on used women's stuff in my area right now.

Thanks - kind of embarrassing thread but can't think of another way to ask.
Old 08-26-20, 10:12 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Shape of chamois is different for sure (think women's vs men's saddle). I'm sure they're cut differently as well, though how that would impact fit would largely depend on your body type. But hey, if you can find 'em on the cheap, give it a shot. Who knows?
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 08-26-20, 10:25 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
Cycling bibs and shorts are expensive and it seems like good deals can be had on used ones which are nearly new - makes sense, people get in and out of the sport all the time.

Is there a fundamental difference in men's cycling shorts vs. women's in terms of fit, or is it purely marketing?

I have NO problem wearing 'women's' cycling shorts, black lycra is black lycra, it makes no difference what the label says, but I am not sure if there are fundamental fit differences like there are in, say, blue jeans.

I have only had a few pairs of shorts/bibs, all men's, but there are some good deals on used women's stuff in my area right now.

There is a substantial difference in the cut and fit of women's vs men's bicycle clothing. And it is usually easier to find men's clothing anyway. But you can wear anything you like if you buy a couple of pairs of padded underwear designed for bicycling. Long distance tourists often wear normal clothing with these padded underwear though I don't think that is a good idea since you cook inside normal cloths. And they have a LOT of aerodynamic drag making your ride more difficult.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 08-26-20, 10:26 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Shape of chamois is different for sure (think women's vs men's saddle). I'm sure they're cut differently as well, though how that would impact fit would largely depend on your body type. But hey, if you can find 'em on the cheap, give it a shot. Who knows?
That's what I maybe suspected
Old 08-26-20, 10:32 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Yup bottoms are the one type of womens clothes that I don't wear
Likes For Elvo:
Old 08-26-20, 10:47 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts

My wife's cycling shorts have a differently shaped chamois than any of my cycling shorts; this is true for any brands that we compare. The panels that comprise the legs and seat also seem to be differently shaped on her shorts c.f. my shorts. And in general, her shorts tend to be shorter than mine, but that's true not just of cycling shorts: all of her casual wear shorts are at least a couple inches shorter than mine.

No need to be embarrassed to ask. If the price is right and the clothes fit, it makes a lot of sense. I doubt anyone would ever notice you were wearing women's cycling shorts, but the length could be a giveaway.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-26-20, 10:54 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
My wife's cycling shorts have a differently shaped chamois than any of my cycling shorts; this is true for any brands that we compare. The panels that comprise the legs and seat also seem to be differently shaped on her shorts c.f. my shorts. And in general, her shorts tend to be shorter than mine, but that's true not just of cycling shorts: all of her casual wear shorts are at least a couple inches shorter than mine.

No need to be embarrassed to ask. If the price is right and the clothes fit, it makes a lot of sense. I doubt anyone would ever notice you were wearing women's cycling shorts, but the length could be a giveaway.
Thank you! I don't care about the length, especially if I wear them under leggings or other shorts but they do have to fundamentally fit correctly in some ways.
Old 08-26-20, 10:55 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

So big thanks to everyone who replied - my wife doesn't cycle so I have not comparison to draw from.

Thanks for keeping the convo performance/fit oriented too! I never want to take corporations at their word when they say something is specific in some way or another, could be legit, could be a gimmick!
Old 08-26-20, 10:55 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
My wife and I are close in size and chamois-less clothes like tights can sometimes be interchanged but we've never been able to trade shorts with a pad.

Old 08-26-20, 11:46 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
So, you do wear all other types of women's clothing? Interesting.

To the OP, you don't really need the Lycra, padded shorts and jerseys with pockets in the back. I wear Columbia loose shorts (had mesh liner which I removed) over compression boxers, no padding. I wear dri-tech wicking shirts, many from Walmart, etc.
Old 08-26-20, 11:51 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
So, you do wear all other types of women's clothing? Interesting.

To the OP, you don't really need the Lycra, padded shorts and jerseys with pockets in the back. I wear Columbia loose shorts (had mesh liner which I removed) over compression boxers, no padding. I wear dri-tech wicking shirts, many from Walmart, etc.
Good question, no, I do not and that wasn't me you quoted :-)

The only thing I like to wear that's Lycra is bibs/shorts. I usually wear some sort of dri-fit material tee in hot weather (like the ones they giveaway in 5k races), I also have some short sleeve plaid shirts that work well. I used to wear shorts over my bibs but quit that for the most part because it's just one more thing to haul around. I do enjoy riding with a chamois with my type of saddle but I do have another bike that will be better for any type of clothing. I don't take myself too seriously, I usually wear socks with astronauts or eggs and toast, etc. I don't care about aero or speed, pretty much just comfort. In the winter I wear Lycra leggings with some sort of 1/4 zip pullover and, if wet, a waterproof shell. Always gloves. Never not gloves. I wear gloves on rides even if I wear no helmet (which is fairly rare but does happen from time to time)

Right now, I am riding every AM with just one set of bibs so it's a lot of washing and drying so I have been on the lookout for Lycra shorts with chamois or similar bibs.

Last edited by davei1980; 08-26-20 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-26-20, 12:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
jerseys that are ordered in "mens xxl" from amazon that end up being wayyy undersized for actual fit are mislabeled "ladys xxl". Thats all I can offer.
Old 08-26-20, 02:05 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts

Just buy stuff for cross fit, t shirts and compression shorts, long tights. Much cheaper and more durable.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 08-26-20, 03:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,317 Times in 2,702 Posts
I don't know what kind of market you are in that has used bibs but I'd like to direct you to these from Wiggle https://www.wiggle.com/dhb-classic-bib-shorts-1 I can't imagine you could find anything used substantially cheaper and I've found these to be comfortable and long wearing. At this price there's no need to screw around with make-do stuff from Walmart or someone else's cooties and shart striped chamois. True to size, IME.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-26-20, 03:16 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
I buy used jerseys off of ebay all the time. 15.00 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hincapie-Wo...72.m2749.l2649
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 08-26-20, 03:31 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
The chamois is a BIG and important difference.

Beyond that, good brands will take into account the different waist/hip/thigh proportions of men and women in their sizing. I bought a pair of women's tights (no chamois, big discount) a few winters ago, figuring that it was all spandex, they'd simply stretch to fit. Two rides later I gave them to a woman I know, because I got tired of them sliding down due to my lack of hips and thin (relative to a woman my height) legs.

You can probably live with jerseys that are a little tight/loose, but bibs and tights really do need to fit right to be comfortable.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 08-26-20, 03:32 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
If you're looking to spend less.. the "Black Bibs" have supposedly a few fans around.. I'd prefer over new or women's cut.

https://www.theblackbibs.com/shop/theblackbibs
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-26-20, 05:28 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
sounds like there a bigger story here...
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 08-26-20, 06:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
sounds like there a bigger story here...
stilettos have no sexual-gentrification.
Old 08-27-20, 06:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Check Amazon for shorts and bibs from Przewalski and Spotti. Both are really good for the money. I got three or four sets so I don't have to wash clothes after every ride. The DuPont CoolMax pads are terrific, and the shorts and bibs overall are good quality. No problems with stitching, etc., including on the first pair I got two years ago and have worn dozens of times.

Black Bibs brand are good too, and cost only a little more, but still much more affordable than many brands. The pad isn't quite as comfortable to me as the DuPont CoolMax, but I prefer a slightly thicker, firmer pad after losing weight (not much padding on my sit bones anymore). Some folks dislike those diaper style pads, so what's comfortable for me might not be for someone else.
Old 08-27-20, 07:55 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9531 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts

You just gotta be you. No shame.

(Disclosure - picture is not of the OP.)
Old 08-27-20, 08:21 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ he has a run in his stocking. Otherwise...

To the OP topic, yes, there differences. Lycra/spandex clothing made from multiple panels is sewn with an anatomical shape in mind. Women (typically) have a wider pelvis and smaller bones than men do. The pad is designed to fit anatomically, and a man's pad is shaped differently from a woman's pad. Can you do what you've asked? Why not experiment and report back?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-27-20, 09:54 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
^ he has a run in his stocking. Otherwise...

To the OP topic, yes, there differences. Lycra/spandex clothing made from multiple panels is sewn with an anatomical shape in mind. Women (typically) have a wider pelvis and smaller bones than men do. The pad is designed to fit anatomically, and a man's pad is shaped differently from a woman's pad. Can you do what you've asked? Why not experiment and report back?
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a pair on FB Marketplace when I found a set of Canari shorts for men in my size for $20 so I bought a set of those. I only have 1 set of Castelli bibs and they're AWESOME but for longer rides they make nature breaks very awkward so looking fwd to having some shorts.

If I do get a pair of women's then I'll let you know, but my questions were basically answered here, it sounds like they are shaped for a women's body and not just for marketing purposes.
Old 08-27-20, 09:55 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Mojo31
You just gotta be you. No shame.

(Disclosure - picture is not of the OP.)
Correct but no shame in my game! Or the individual pictured (unsure of the pronouns preferred by the subject of the photo)
Old 08-27-20, 10:08 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9531 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Correct but no shame in my game! Or the individual pictured (unsure of the pronouns preferred by the subject of the photo)
Not sure either. We were waiting to get into Preservation Hall in the French Quarter some years ago, and when my then young son saw that guy his eyes got about as big as dinner plates. I told him, "That's no big deal, just one of your mom's people." Mom was born in New Orleans. We all got a laugh.
Likes For Mojo31:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.