Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do Chain Checkers really measure the stated %0.5, %0.75 etc. ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Do Chain Checkers really measure the stated %0.5, %0.75 etc. ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-20, 10:50 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Here's that process (new chain on the right). There's no doubt about the elongation. FWIW, the old chain was flagged by three different chain checker tools.

Chains hanging from nails on a level line

Worn chain on the left

Three chain-check tools. The Shimano tool (right) is supposedly not influenced by roller wear.
As far as i can tell from the picture the elongation amounts to 4mm. Assuming its whole chains they are each more than 100 links and at least (100*25,4)/2=1270mm length. Thus, true elongation is only (4/1270)*100=0.3% (!) - Can you verify this?

Imo all three gauges are wrong and flag the chain prematurely, if 0.5% is the gold standard. And 0.5% is only 1/2 the usual engineering standard of 1%.
Old 12-15-20, 10:56 PM
Skulking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
As far as i can tell from the picture the elongation amounts to 4mm. Assuming its whole chains they are each more than 100 links and at least (100*25,4)/2=1270mm length. Thus, true elongation is only (4/1270)*100=0.3% (!) - Can you verify this?

Imo all three gauges are wrong and flag the chain prematurely, if 0.5% is the gold standard. And 0.5% is only 1/2 the usual engineering standard of 1%.
It may be perspective as we aren't looking straight on at the chains in the first picture, but to me it looks like the old chain is hung higher which would indicate the 4mm we see on the scale isn't an accurate measure of the elongation.
Old 12-16-20, 06:16 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Skulking
It may be perspective as we aren't looking straight on at the chains in the first picture, but to me it looks like the old chain is hung higher which would indicate the 4mm we see on the scale isn't an accurate measure of the elongation.
You both are looking at the inches side of the ruler.. it's at 4/16" which is 1/4". The other side of the ruler is in mm, and it's at about the 10mm mark.
EDIT: Correction, the ruler is marked in tenths on the inches side, so it's at 4/10".

Last edited by Sy Reene; 12-16-20 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-16-20, 09:33 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You both are looking at the inches side of the ruler.. it's at 4/16" which is 1/4". The other side of the ruler is in mm, and it's at about the 10mm mark.
EDIT: Correction, the ruler is marked in tenths on the inches side, so it's at 4/10".
No its not. Its clearly marked MM on the side im reading and 25.4mm corresponds to 1" as it should. Its 4mm, not 4/10".
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 12-16-20, 09:35 AM
Racing Dan

The least error prone method would be to hang the chains from the same nail, but I believe this is good enough, if, as stated, the nails are level.
Old 12-16-20, 10:17 AM
John_E

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No its not. Its clearly marked MM on the side im reading and 25.4mm corresponds to 1" as it should. Its 4mm, not 4/10".

You are right, if the final roller was straight when drawing that line (seems a bit rotated in the picture) then this pretty much confirms my readings and suspicion that chain checkers are over measuring the stretch.

Of course this is the average stretch maybe a section is stretched and others are not.
Old 12-16-20, 10:21 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

?? Exactly, 25.4mm is at the 1" mark. On the 25.4mm side of the ruler that aligns with the big 1, the lower black drawn line is at the 10mm mark (2 hashes below the 8). On the inch side, the line goes thru the 4th hash mark (out of 10). Ignore where the MM letters are; no idea why it looks that way. It's an odd ruler with tenths of inches, and every 8mm as a marking (instead of cms).

Old 12-16-20, 10:42 AM
John_E

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
?? Exactly, 25.4mm is at the 1" mark. On the 25.4mm side of the ruler that aligns with the big 1, the lower black drawn line is at the 10mm mark (2 hashes below the 8). On the inch side, the line goes thru the 4th hash mark (out of 10). Ignore where the MM letters are; no idea why it looks that way. It's an odd ruler with tenths of inches, and every 8mm as a marking (instead of cms).

No it is not. If you look at the whole ruler 1" is divided into 64 parts hence 10mm ~ 25.19/64"

If you look at the original picture 1" mark on the right corresponds to ~25.4 on the MM side(left side).

So MM is the milimeter side and difference is around 4mm!!!
Likes For John_E:
Old 12-16-20, 10:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by John_E
No it is not. If you look at the whole ruler 1" is divided into 64 parts hence 10mm ~ 25.19/64"

If you look at the original picture 1" mark on the right corresponds to ~25.4 on the MM side(left side).

So MM is the milimeter side and difference is around 4mm!!!
hmm.. so it's a ruler that measures to 64ths of an inch on one side, and in mms on the other. Ok. The scale is weird though if that's the case. The overall width of the ruler, if you rotate the width down the scale, is then a really skinny approx 11mm wide ruler.
Old 12-16-20, 04:07 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts

The shimano elimates roller wear in the chain and it is accurate.
Old 12-16-20, 06:17 PM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by davidad
The shimano elimates roller wear in the chain and it is accurate.
"accurate" how?

If it flags a chain that is only 0.3% elongated, as we see in this instance, I beg to differ.
Old 12-16-20, 06:27 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I just want to say that I’m surprised and impressed that we’re on page six of this thread.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 12-16-20, 08:17 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I have seen way too many drivetrains in need of total replacement because the owner went way too far trying to save a few bucks on a chain. Bottom line is to change before it is worn out and use a good gauge (or ruler) often to determine when to change. Even if you did not get the last 300 miles out of the chain that you might have been able to squeeze, that is better than going too far. An ounce or prevention...

Gauges likely have an inherent error likely when in use (due to misuse or machining variance) so if they are a bit too conservative and overestimate wear that is better than the converse.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 12-16-20, 08:52 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts

I probably should repeat the exercise with better attention to details. The chains were hung from nails placed on a level line. The ruler is marked in millimeters. The chain checkers, with the possible exception of the Shimano gauge, definitely exaggerate the amount of wear, predisposing to early replacement of the chain. I will say that I subscribe to the notion that chains are cheaper than gears, so I don't feel too bad about getting slightly less wear out of a chain.
I'll see if I can get some better documentation. Thanks for all the comments.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 12-17-20, 01:03 AM
John_E

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I probably should repeat the exercise with better attention to details. The chains were hung from nails placed on a level line. The ruler is marked in millimeters. The chain checkers, with the possible exception of the Shimano gauge, definitely exaggerate the amount of wear, predisposing to early replacement of the chain. I will say that I subscribe to the notion that chains are cheaper than gears, so I don't feel too bad about getting slightly less wear out of a chain.
I'll see if I can get some better documentation. Thanks for all the comments.
Your demonstration is very much appreciated and it is exactly the kind of measurement I was hoping to get.

As long as the nails are level (when measured with a water level) it should be good.
Your measurements, given it is accurate, clearly shows that these tools are over measuring the wear significantly. %0.5 report is given as early as %0.25-0.3.

Once again the point of this whole thread is whether these tools are measuring what they claim to measure. Otherwise I am still ok with changing the chains early instead of having to change an expensive cassette.

I am curious what was the exact reading on the parktool one that shows percentages?
Please let us know if you remeasure your chains.

Last edited by John_E; 12-22-20 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-17-20, 08:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Six pages and we're discussing how to read a ruler. Was there a snowstorm somewhere?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-17-20, 09:12 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
If you want to hang chains from a nail to measure elongation, only use one nail and place the rule very accurately with the center at 53 or 54 inches. 0.5% on a 54 inch chain is 0.27 inch. I use a machinist's rule with 0.01 inch markings.

It's a lot easier to measure horizontally with the nail in a bench top and the rule taped to the bench. I've also used a board with a nail at one end and the rule at the other. You can then hang the measuring board if you want.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 12-19-20 at 10:42 AM.