Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Old 12-30-20, 12:05 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
sorry Rich ! I was on board until the sock remark!😂 Colored socks , and the more color the better, are way cooool!
Colored socks are acceptable if (1) they are multi-colored with four or more different hues and (2) worn by Kabuki12. You've been rocking those socks pretty much forever, Joe, so you're grandfathered in.
Old 12-30-20, 12:09 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I will add wearing a team jersey when you are not on the team.
Do I get a pass if I'm wearing a team jersey for a team that hasn't existed for 30+ years?
Old 12-30-20, 12:16 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10
Unicrown forks 🤮.

So many otherwise cool 80s Mtb frames, but those forks ruin it.
I think it depends on the paint job and bike geometry.
Old 12-30-20, 12:28 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by seypat
If we're getting things of our chests.........those cassettes with sprockets larger than a circular saw blade sure are fugly. And they really bug me. I got no problem riding triples. I wish others didn't as well.
Agree - and I blame SRAM for this. They are moving even their road group sets into a single ring up front. The real benefit is for electronic shifting, since this is one less battery to charge.

And while mechanically more clunky, the front derailleur is simpler mechanically, and a better option if you want a simple 3 speed commuter bike. Triples with a normal rear cassette has all the gearing you could want.
Old 12-30-20, 12:33 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
One of you HAS to be guilty of Faulty Logic**.

But ........ which one?

....** not to be confused with Faulty Towers Logic.

Clear your handlebars, and your mind will follow.
OMG!! Basil at his best! "There is too much butter on those trays!"
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-30-20, 12:56 PM
Het Volk

Electronic ******** Shifting
We are turning our bikes into mini motorcycles. The beauty of bikes was the mechanical simplicity. And between this, and now people riding e-bikes on bike paths, cycling is turning more and more into something I do not recognize. And the worst part? The industry is going to sour people to the sport because most people are not dedicated bikers, and the more difficult you make it to just get on a bike and ride, the less people will ride. Batteries have limited lives, and, by the way, are toxic for the environment.

Disc Brakes:
There is NO need for disc brakes, and all the people saying so are lying to themselves. I have never once ever felt under braked, even heading down roads such as the road on Mt. Evans.

E-Bikes
I get it, for older folks who need some assistance. But for everyone else, they are buying glorified scooters. They should not be allowed on MUPs, and there is nothing more annoying than seeing some overweight middle aged dude soft pedaling up a hill when what he really needs, is to actually exercise.

Lack of Velodromes
It would be nice for municipalities to invest in velodromes, as they are a great place for kids to learn to ride, ride in a pack, and develop some bike skills without having to be out in traffic. Rather than another stupid baseball field, can we please see communities invest in velodromes.

Brooks B17 Saddles
I am sorry....unpopular but B17 saddles aesthetically make bikes look like the bike needs to drop a deuce.

Ill Fitting Bike Clothing
Bulky, ill-fitting bike clothing. Someone above complained about tight clothing....I am the opposite. Wear clothes that actually fit, and not burlap sacks.

People Who Do Not Support Local Bike Shops
Especially the ones who will use the LBS to get assistance on what they need, and then go buy it online.
Likes For Het Volk:
Old 12-30-20, 01:28 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Do I get a pass if I'm wearing a team jersey for a team that hasn't existed for 30+ years?
As long as it does not have world champion stripes.
I looked at a nice Faema jersey a few years ago... but the sleeve and collar had the Eddy World Champ banding.
Could no bring myself to buy it.
I would have considered the "domestique" version.
Old 12-30-20, 01:29 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
And why is the buckle on the inside of the pedal? Makes me wonder if the bike has ever actually been ridden.
I doubt it, total interference fit.
Old 12-30-20, 01:39 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
OMG!! Basil at his best! "There is too much butter on those trays!"
Right. Well then.... Don't be alarmed, ...that's only my wife laughing... i hope.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-30-20 at 01:42 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 12-30-20, 02:02 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
... front QR skewer installed on the driveside.
I've gotten so much flack for installing the front skewer lever on the ds. But that's where I like to see it, so that's where it goes. It upsets some folks so damn much, I wonder if I do it a little out of spite...

Last edited by SurferRosa; 12-30-20 at 03:18 PM.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-30-20, 02:03 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 91 Posts
It bugs me to see children riding bikes that are way too big for them. I realize that bike may have been given to them or may be the only bike available for them to ride, but it bugs me because I see it as a safety issue. I see kids riding bikes they can’t straddle, can’t grab the brake levers with their small hands, and peddling with their tippy toes. I also have friends who bought their kids larger bikes so they could grow into it, and not have to get another larger bike later. Theses things bug me!
Likes For momoman:
Old 12-30-20, 02:30 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 271 Posts
The fact that I don’t have a cozy lounge chair in my bikes and drums room to enjoy a beverage and take in the scenery from. Yeah, I bet that bugs me more than it does most others.
Likes For Sir_Name:
Old 12-30-20, 02:39 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk

Brooks B17 Saddles
I am sorry....unpopular but B17 saddles aesthetically make bikes look like the bike needs to drop a deuce.
I utterly and completely disagree with you but I thank you for the laugh. That is a great line.
Old 12-30-20, 02:54 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I've gotten so much flack for installing the skewer lever on the ds. But that's where I like to see it, so that's where it goes. It upsets some folks so damn much, I wonder if I do it a little out of spite ...
funny you say that. I was at my favorite bike shop that has been around since the seventies getting a new set of lights. I noticed while I was waiting for the guy to ring it up that all but one or two bikes in this shop had the lever on the right(front wheel of course). I was going to say something because for a moment I let it get to me. Then I thought what if it were an intentional move to irritate us. I said nothing and looked at something else, like the light set I went in to purchase. It’s your bike if you like it on the right, so be it!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-30-20, 03:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Only if you have the correct bike to go with it.
Old 12-30-20, 03:15 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
I don't understand why all the anger with wearing team kit (I have none of them). Nobody would think one was a real pro, right? I see them as an homage - in soccer it's quite common for amateurs to wear famous teams jerseys, sometimes even with the player's name and number on them.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 12-30-20, 03:18 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I don't understand why all the anger with wearing team kit (I have none of them). Nobody would think one was a real pro, right? I see them as an homage - in soccer it's quite common for amateurs to wear famous teams jerseys, sometimes even with the player's name and number on them.
and that’s silly too
Old 12-30-20, 03:36 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Front brake on the left side. Who's crazy idea was that? When did that become popular because back in the day, 1960's early 70's, I remember having bikes with the brake lever on the right for the front. Dave Moulton always mounts his on the right too. Aligns with the placement on motorcycles.
I can understand if you are dominantly a south paw, otherwise it doesn't make sense. The first side pull I remember having the cable on the right was Campagnolo. All the others, and they were probably lower-end, were on the left. Of course BIMD center pulls were the brake configuration of choice with the design of dual pivots.

We also wrapped top down. Never made sense to me either with the curling of the edges.

Comment about the strap being on the inside on the bike above. I bet they put the straps on before putting the pedal on the crank. Too lazy to fix it after some ones 10 year old assembled it.

I think this doesn't qualify but I really dislike thread less stems ILO quills with one exception.

Preferring sew-ups, I too hate the longer stems and you really don't have much choice with them. I suppose it isn't as bad if you are running 20 spoke wheel as it looks like another spoke.

OK another popular bug is the wear pattern around spokes on many Mavic rims. Not a style feature I prefer.
Old 12-30-20, 03:41 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman
It bugs me to see children riding bikes that are way too big for them. I realize that bike may have been given to them .....I also have friends who bought their kids larger bikes so they could grow into it, and not have to get another larger bike later.
Both instances could have described our family when I was a kid. We inherited a ton of stuff from another family who had about eight kids, all of them older. Clothes, bikes, toys, etc. Everything. Sometimes the stuff was much too big so we'd just have to wait until we grew.

My first geared bike was a really cool purple 5-speed with a banana seat and a really high sissy bar, which that other family had outgrown. I had to wait on that one for a couple years before I was big enough to ride it!
Old 12-30-20, 03:44 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 271 Posts
Drillium fenders. I just don’t get it.
Likes For Sir_Name:
Old 12-30-20, 03:46 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
On my bikes: Brake cable symmetry.
Definitely.

Closely related to this subject is spark plug wires. I go to a lot of classic car shows and nothing bugs me more than a beautifully restored classic car or muscle car and whoever installed the spark plug wires routed them so some have little to no slack in them, and some are so long they droop down past the exhaust manifolds. Either they put the wrong ones in the wrong places, or they just didn't take their time measuring them correctly in the case of the custom-cut build-your-own kits. Use some care, make them all the same amount of "droop" and they look 1000% better!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 12-30-20, 03:59 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
Aluminum bikes. They are not allowed in my house. I have owned an aluminum road bike and an aluminum mountain bike. Couldn't get rid of them fast enough.
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 12-30-20, 04:07 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Campagnolo. I’ll never understand all of the love for such mediocre performance.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-30-20, 04:07 PM
g-funk

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I don’t mind that so much but calling a stem a “neck” always makes me cringe.
that’s a 70’s-80’s bmx term. I had some sweet tuf-necks on my mongoose. Outside of that context I agree.
Old 12-30-20, 04:22 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
If we're talking C&V related pet peeves, I'll omit some bike stuff that bugs me but is unrelated to classic and vintage bikes. As far as non-C&V bikes, for commuting, errands or whatever, anything goes.
  • Chainring guards on any style road bike. Might as well just fit an entire chain guard and make it really functional as a rain bike.
  • Unicorn forks. Yeah, all my bikes have 'em. And they're functional. Probably a bit more aero too. But they just don't look right.
  • Ditto, most of the stuff gugie and others mentioned, in terms of functionality including rear wheel removal for flat repairs.
  • Straight forks. They just don't look right on a pre-1980s steel bike. But I'm still a sucker for those seductively curvy swoopy French forks.
  • Flipped North Roads or swept bars on anything other than a path racer. I tried that on my early 1990s Univega, flopping the albatross bars. Then I saw a photo a friend took of me on a group ride and was kinda horrified. So I flopped the bar back to the upright swept position as the bicycle gods intended.
  • Upward-angled stems. Yeah, I know, they're practical. And okay with flat or arced bars for rigid mountain bikes. But combined with a flipped swept bar, that upward angled stem on my Univega looked atrocious, like an Escher optical illusion gone awry. Besides returning the albatross bar to upright position, I switched to a longer horizontal stem from a road bike to get the bar a bit lower and to look "right" (to me).

Stuff that doesn't bother me - which even surprises me:
  • Turkey lever/suicide lever brake extension levers. Honestly I never had any quarrel with those on my 1976 Motobecane, other than interfering with the fit of my Kirtland Tour Pack handlebar bag. Those worked fine for slowing the bike and seemed appropriate even for casual group rides and commuting. The only real issue was the original steel rims, not the braking power.
  • Stem shifters. Yeah, I swapped to downtube shifters. But that was mostly due to peer pressure. I entered a few crits and time trials in the 1970s and didn't want to look too dorky on my 30 lb hi-ten steel frame bike that was obviously unsuited to racing anyway.
Ummm, can I see pictures of said flipped bars? I'm toying with this idea on a 1960 Hercules 3 speed with a canti-like frame and I'm concerned it'll ruin "the look", since a 'path racer' was usually a diamond frame.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.