Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Warning for Cervelo owners with Wolf CL fork - Steering tube snapped in traffic!!!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Warning for Cervelo owners with Wolf CL fork - Steering tube snapped in traffic!!!

Old 02-21-21, 10:49 AM
Road commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts

I am the original owner of a 2008 Cervelo Soloist Team bicycle. I used it for a commute of 52 kilometers round trip for several years. It was my summer bike and saw rain just once. It was never crashed prior to the incident described below.

The fork on this bike is the Wolf CL.

While accelerating in traffic the handlebars of my bike snapped off without warning. (The fork steering tube broke). I hit the pavement so hard my helmet cracked. I broke my right collar bone. A tourniquet was required on the street to stop the flow of blood from the puncture wound on my right leg.

Prior to my buying the bike, Cervelo had recalled the Wolf SL fork that was used on Cervelo bikes.

The Wolf SL fork recall was due to cracking steering tubes. (The Wolf SL is all carbon – while the Wolf CL has a metal steering tube)

Recalls | Cervélo Cycles

After the incident I went onto Cervelo’s forum, (can’t seem to log onto it now). It appears I am not the first person to have a Wolf CL fork snap just below the stem.

I took a picture of the other person’s incident off the Cervelo forum, (attached). This other incident occurred several years ago. The poster said Cervelo replaced his bike.

My bike has a lifetime warranty. When I asked Cervelo for a warranty fix they declined. They said they require the original receipt, (though the original owner of the bike store confirms I bought this bike from them). They also said the metal steering tube had corrosion on it, and I should have had it inspected.

I definitely regret not asking any of my bike mechanics to take my fork out for inspection during routine maintenance.

Ironically, here is a VeloNews article featuring Cervelo co-founder Phil White. In it, Mr. White talks about the danger of failing forks / steering tubes. He even says, "...nobody ever takes their fork out of their bike to inspect the steerer."

Cervelo founder calls for industry-wide fork steerer test – VeloNews.com

I am posting this to warn any owners of bikes with the Wolf CL fork. Though my injuries will probably affect me forever, I consider myself lucky. I could easily have been thrown into moving traffic.

If you have a bike with this fork – PLEASE have it inspected.

Thanks, David

Likes For Road commuter:
Old 02-21-21, 11:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
That warning probably applies to any fork with a steel steerer tube...It's not unique to Cervelo.

I'm glad it wasn't worse, and hope you heal fast.
Old 02-21-21, 11:18 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Glad you survived and hope you heal super quick. Good luck to ya,
Old 02-21-21, 01:28 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Why all the discussion about the Cervelo fork recall if your fork was not the one that was recalled? Seems irrelevant...
Old 02-21-21, 02:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,381 Times in 2,732 Posts
Bummer. I wonder if that tall stack of spacers contributed.
Old 02-21-21, 02:24 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,912 Times in 2,544 Posts
Another reason I love quill stems. You can break the steerer at the bottom of the stem but assuming it is inserted past the threads, you have to work at it and torque that bolt down hard. Good thing is there is absolutely no reason to. An ordinary small Allen key tightened by hand by an ordinary person is plenty tight enough. Accidents like you (the OP) saw were rare before threadless.

I've had a similar failure (fork, not steerer) and paid the consequences to a higher degree. I don't take this stuff lightly. But needing to pull out and inspect your steerer on a regular basis? Huh? If it's thin enough to not accommodate a little corrosion it should be treated with linseed oil or equivalent before leaving the factory. They know that. The buyer doesn't (unless it is pointed out).

One of my mantras - everything forward of the top and down tubes (including headtube lugs and welds) is to be considered "sacred", ie the line between the pavement and my handlebars is life and death critical. Like airplane wings. They don't get inspected before every ride/flight but they have to up to the job.
Old 02-21-21, 02:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Wasn't the fork in that thing on a recall? I guess you said it is. I guess you said it was replaced. So I ought to read more before I reply.....

Interesting how it broke cleanly. I'd be miffed about them saying it should have been inspected. They want us to regularly pull our stem and remove the star nut?

Was the star nut in the area of the break or was it further down?

Last edited by Iride01; 02-21-21 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-21-21, 02:48 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Iride01
Wasn't the fork in that thing on a recall? I guess you said it is. So I ought to read more before I reply.....
No, it wasn't. Hence my post #4.
Old 02-21-21, 02:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
No, it wasn't. Hence my post #4.
Yes I deserve the flak. I made the classic mistake of having the fork recall in the back of my mind and replying to the title of the thread without reading the OP or any replies below it.

I'm ashamed!
Old 02-21-21, 03:07 PM
tomato coupe

Yes I deserve the flak. I made the classic mistake of having the fork recall in the back of my mind and replying to the title of the thread without reading the OP or any replies below it.

I'm ashamed!
No flak.

I think the fork recall was mentioned to give the impression that Cervelo was the bad guy in this situation.
Old 02-21-21, 03:10 PM
tomato coupe

Interesting how it broke cleanly. I'd be miffed about them saying it should have been inspected. They want us to regularly pull our stem and remove the star nut?

Was the star nut in the area of the break or was it further down?
This is more muddying of the waters by the OP. It's a photo of someone else's fork, copied from another forum.
Old 02-21-21, 03:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
This is more muddying of the waters by the OP. It's a photo of someone else's fork, copied from another forum.
Yeah, I did at least read well enough by that time to realize that. However it was stated their break was similar.

Still interested in my question about the star nut was because I might can see an over tightened star nut as being a participant in the weakening and fracture of the steerer tube. To me it seems it would be better to have the star nut below the upper headset bearings if there is a potential of it scoring the inside of the tube and stress of pulling and pushing on the bars takes over to make a crack.
Old 02-21-21, 06:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Another reason I love quill stems...
Oh boy.
Old 02-21-21, 06:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Another reason I love quill stems.
steerer tubes snapped back in the golden age of cycling.
And stems snapped too.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-22-21, 02:12 AM
Road commuter

Yeah, I did at least read well enough by that time to realize that. However it was stated their break was similar.

Still interested in my question about the star nut was because I might can see an over tightened star nut as being a participant in the weakening and fracture of the steerer tube. To me it seems it would be better to have the star nut below the upper headset bearings if there is a potential of it scoring the inside of the tube and stress of pulling and pushing on the bars takes over to make a crack.
Thanks all for the comments.

I included the reference to the Wolf SL failure out of design interest, and because anytime I say my Wolf fork cracked on my Cervelo they think it was the recalled one. Mine was not recalled. Also, the second pic of the other rider's failed CL steering tube is just to show it started happening several years ago, with similar looking corrosion.

As for the star nut, good question, I will investigate on my end to see if a mechanic can advise.

Thanks again for the comments.
Old 02-22-21, 07:45 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
To me, that does not look corroded at all. Light surface rust and some gunk, If I had inspected that I would not thought anything of it.
Old 02-22-21, 08:57 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
To me, that does not look corroded at all. Light surface rust and some gunk, If I had inspected that I would not thought anything of it.
Except, of course, the picture is not of the fork which Cervelo said had corrosion.
Old 02-22-21, 09:51 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
So, as another Cervelo owner, I'm interested in what you've learned (thanks for posting). I see that the warranty, since 2004, has been for "frame only" ... was that discussed in your conversations with the company? Also, was your original purchase registered with them?
Old 02-22-21, 03:55 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Eh, what? You have to inspect your fork once in a blue moon. Quill or not. I have a friend who broke the fork at the crown on his old Peter Johnson, but fortunately it happened right as he braked to a stop. Right as he came to a stop the front rather undramatically just folded up. Totally uneventful, but it could have been really bad and IMO he was lucky AF. He was also the first to admit he hadn't even checked it in maybe ten years and it was entirely his own fault. This is one of the few potential bike problems that is absolutely terrifying.

Doesn't the dealer have the original paperwork from the sale on file somewhere? They should be able to produce proof of purchase.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 02-26-21, 12:04 AM
Road commuter

Originally Posted by sfrider
Eh, what? You have to inspect your fork once in a blue moon. Quill or not. I have a friend who broke the fork at the crown on his old Peter Johnson, but fortunately it happened right as he braked to a stop. Right as he came to a stop the front rather undramatically just folded up. Totally uneventful, but it could have been really bad and IMO he was lucky AF. He was also the first to admit he hadn't even checked it in maybe ten years and it was entirely his own fault. This is one of the few potential bike problems that is absolutely terrifying.

Doesn't the dealer have the original paperwork from the sale on file somewhere? They should be able to produce proof of purchase.
Unfortunately the bike store changed Point of Sale systems twice since I bought the bike. They can see parts I purchased for servicing, but not the actual sale of the bike. I know the original owner would have done something, super great guy, but all the new owners would do is sell me a new fork. I totally agree with your friend regarding taking the fork out for inspection. I should have. Never occurred to me for any of my bikes. Thanks
Old 02-26-21, 12:13 AM
Road commuter

Originally Posted by asgelle
Except, of course, the picture is not of the fork which Cervelo said had corrosion.
To be clear, the first picture is my bike.

The second picture is a screen shot of the Cervelo Forum, where another Cervelo owner had his Wolf CL steering tube break under the stem on his bike.

Hence the original warning in my post - if it happened before it will happen to someone else, and they might not be so lucky.

Thanks for responding.
Old 02-26-21, 01:42 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yikes. Sorry to hear about your injury but glad it wasn't worse.

That sort of thing was among my worries with my first all-carbon fiber bike (my first, a 1993 Trek 5900, has a steel steerer tube), a 2014 or so Diamondback Podium with carbon fiber steerer. I wouldn't ride it until I disassembled everything to inspect it as carefully as I could. A friend who has access to ultrasound for inspecting aircraft offered to help, but I didn't see anything that indicated previous damage or excessive wear so I didn't take him up on that offer. And because the Diamondback's fork is so easy to drop to inspect, I'll do it once a year.

I've done that only once with the 1993 Trek, and only because corrosion finally killed the headset so I had to clean and scrape the steel steerer before reassembly. Looks like the previous owner used it for time trials or triathlons and sweated or drooled electrolyte juice down into the headset, causing a build up of crusty lime scale looking stuff. No problems with the steerer or fork, though.
Old 03-02-21, 04:56 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Nasty business. What strikes me though, is that it's a metal steerer (is it steel, or aluminium?) - so, there shouldn't be anything particular about it. It's not like they got the layup wrong or something.

Star nut causing a stress riser for fatigue to get its teeth into looks like a good theory. Never liked those, seems like a pretty good reason to use expander plugs on everything.
Old 03-02-21, 04:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
steerer tubes snapped back in the golden age of cycling.
True. It was common for French bikes to have a wooden dowel inserted in the steer tube at the factory to mitigate this.

And stems snapped too.
That, too. Been there, done that.
Old 03-11-21, 09:54 AM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
heal up!

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg