Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Continental tires, sidewalls unraveling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-21, 04:37 PM
Randell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought I would share my current experience with Continental tires. I’ve used Continental tires for years and been very happy with them. However, in the last couple of years I’ve had issues with the sidewalls unraveling. This issue developed on both GP4000 and GP5000TL models. After a quick Google search, I see that others have had similar issues, some with near-fatal results.

I tried to attach pictures but was unable due to not having 10 posts of the forum.
Old 03-02-21, 05:22 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22586 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
If you notice a few loose strands near the bead, I don’t believe that is dangerous or a problem. Can you be more specific in what is happening?
Old 03-02-21, 05:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
All you have to do is write the URL of your pics in your message as plain text. Remove the https:// and then put a space on either side of the .
Then it's no longer a URL and the SPAM filters won't give you issue. Most of us know how to make them work again. Use the link provided by the "share" function if your link has one. I think as a newb you can even upload to the gallery on this site if you need somewhere to put them. But you still have to obfuscate till you get a little older. (10 post and a day)
Old 03-02-21, 05:54 PM
Randell

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
If you notice a few loose strands near the bead, I don’t believe that is dangerous or a problem. Can you be more specific in what is happening?
Imagine a loose thread on a sweater. If you pull it, the sweater unravels. I’ve tried cutting them off but after a few rides they are back. If I was just rolling on a bike path I wouldn’t worry about it either. However, I don’t feel good about it on the road, especially when climbing/descending mountains.

I've sworn by GP4000s for years and never observed this, but in the last 2 years it has happened to multiple tires.
Old 03-02-21, 06:16 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
I think you'd be hard pressed to find any tire that someone hasn't had a quality issue with. Having said that, I had a sidewall come apart on a GP4000II a couple of years ago. I was getting a ton of flats also so stopped using them. Have not had a problem with the 5000.

Bottom line is if you're not comfortable riding them, get something else. Plenty of choices although common sizes are not so easy to find these days.
Old 03-02-21, 07:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Randell
I thought I would share my current experience with Continental tires. I’ve used Continental tires for years and been very happy with them. However, in the last couple of years I’ve had issues with the sidewalls unraveling. This issue developed on both GP4000 and GP5000TL models. After a quick Google search, I see that others have had similar issues, some with near-fatal results.

I tried to attach pictures but was unable due to not having 10 posts of the forum.
Perhaps you should be sending this message to Continental, rather than creating a bf account just to vent.
Old 03-02-21, 10:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
All my Conti tires have always done this, going back 20+ years. It's never been a safety problem. Every now and then I pull the loose threads off the calipers and break off any others I see. The tire is not falling apart. I've never bothered to look into it more closely. The threads are very weak and don't pose a hazard in any way. I like the tires and find the threads to be a very minor annoyance. I've been climbing and descending mountains with Conti tires for, yes, over 20 years. Not a problem.

I have heard of Conti sidewalls failing right above the bead, which seems to me to be due to underinflation and has never happened to me.
Old 03-02-21, 10:48 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Definitely a lot of near fatal accidents because of this.
I have lost count of the number of riders I have seen bloodied, laying beside the road, with Conti sidewall threads wrapped around their limbs, neck, and bike.
If you have any Gorilla glue left over from doing your hair you can always use it on the sidewalls to keep the threads in place.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 03-02-21, 10:58 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
The tire is not 'unraveling'. That is impossible due to how tires are constructed.

What you are seeing is the threads from the breaker strip. It is the piece that wraps around the tire bead to protect it and stop it from splitting the tire.

Cut them off as they appear. It will eventually stop. Ride your bike.

Likes For Bob Dopolina:
Old 03-02-21, 11:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Cut em off, burn em off, go fight win!

Conti tires do that.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-03-21, 01:17 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I just tore off or cut off any loose threads off Contis, never thought twice of it. It hasn't created any issues.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 03-03-21, 06:34 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22586 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Makes me think of this classic:

Luckily, tires are not sweaters.

Likes For datlas:
Old 03-03-21, 11:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
How many miles do you have to have on your Conti's to get this? I have just looked on three bikes that have GP 5000's and they don't have any threads showing or poking through the sidewalls.

Nor do the Conti Ultra sports that I took off my Raleigh over 11 years ago that are almost worn out. Why I don't throw them away I don't know. They were probably the worst riding tire I ever used.

I wonder if this might be a thing for those that use super low pressures in their tiers considering ride weight. Or maybe those that don't check their tire pressure till they feel the rims bumping the road.
Old 03-03-21, 12:54 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Derp. Conti has always done this and it's not a life threatening situation.