Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to waste $2,000 on an exercise bicycle.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to waste $2,000 on an exercise bicycle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-20, 11:09 AM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
I’m a cyclist who has a Peleton. I love it. It’s not always practical to go for a ride due to weather, traffic, schedule, etc, but I can hop on the Peleton and do a 45 minute or hour long class and I have seen some nice improvement in my FTP in the 2 1/2 months I have been using it. There are some cycling centric instructors who focus their classes on using the Peleton as a tool to becoming a better cyclist through technique and specific interval training that is often hard to accomplish on the road.

It works for us as my wife has no interest in cycling but likes spinning. It eliminates all of my excuses for not riding and has been beneficial in making me a stronger rider so far. YMMV.
Old 03-04-20, 06:17 AM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
There was a pretty good Spin thread at 50+ but for some reason or my inability to find it, it's gone. I started spinning fifteen months ago, go to three high intensity and RPM classes a week at the nearby 24hr Fitness, run by a former Canadian road racer. This is in addition to my riding here in Denver where I'm sorry to say, it's gotten unbelievably dangerous on the roads and on some of the bike paths. Especially on the days of rotten weather, I can drive, or walk a mile to the fitness center, change clothes, put in foam ear plugs and have a very high intensity workout that has aided my road cycling and climbing immensely. I've got friends, avid road riders, former Olympic cyclists who train on Pelotons at home or at the club and they love spinning. Yes, for many, spinning is enjoyed by avid road cyclists and by those who have given up, partly or completely from road cycling, due to age, injury or fear of getting hit. Enjoy whatever you do to keep fit and healthy!
Old 03-04-20, 08:27 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
I own an Echelon

Trying to stay in shape over our long winters, I looked at a Peloton, but opted for an Echelon, which was about $1,100. You get the same style classes and some scenic routes to ride. I tried to ride every day from December through the end of February, when I brought one of the bikes out of cold storage. I think it was money and time well spent. I didn't put on any weight over the winter months, and was able to take the bike out on March 1st without many complications. I really can't see the difference between the Echelon and the Peloton to justify the almost double price tag.