Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dropper Seat Post for Road Bikes - Has Their Time Arrived?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dropper Seat Post for Road Bikes - Has Their Time Arrived?

Old 12-03-20, 08:31 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
There is no need for one on a road bike. The purpose on a MTB is so that on steep technical descents, you can get your weight back behind the saddle so you don't go over the bars. The dropper allows you to get the saddle out of the way when you do that - and so you don't crash your crotch into the saddle if you suddenly lunge forward.

On road bikes, we aren't getting off and behind the saddle on descents. In fact, many people slide up on the saddle or sit on the top tube, the exact opposite of what is happening on a MTB.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 12-03-20, 03:23 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

Additional weight penalty aside, do you think they will take the serious road riders by storm like they have done in mtn biking? .
Hell, no. This is a ridiculous idea, in my opinion.
Old 12-03-20, 03:25 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
All the naysayers should try it sometime. Forget technical descents or any of that faff-- dropping the saddle and just sitting down at a stop light feels almost like luxury.
Sounds like a sitting track stand. No dropper post needed for that!
Old 12-03-20, 03:36 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Sounds like a sitting track stand. No dropper post needed for that!
Or just unclip your left, stand on that foot, slide forward off the seat. When the light changes, stomp on the right pedal, get on the seat, clip the left, proceed. If a tri geek like me can figure that out...
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 12-03-20, 03:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
This stuff about "only steep technical descents" is bogus, we are using droppers all the time. Basically any time you get out of the seat, which is often on a MTB.

On a road bike, I can think of more reasons not to. The suspension provided by a long carbon post, first of all. Weight second. Limited scenarios third
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-03-20, 04:17 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
You might pick up some serious street cred with a dropper post. Rolling down the road doing stuff like this.

Old 12-03-20, 04:37 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
I haven't considered one for the road bike but I am pretty high up in the air compared some riders. I never wanted one on the mtb until I bought a mountain bike with one. It's not just for steep or technical descents. When on a fast-ish descent lowering the saddle allows me to move around easily or shift my weight to react to a wheel sliding or a bump or directional change. I also lower it a bit on a bumpy or rutty climb. Gives a little more control and balance.

If you've ever tried to remount/restart on a steep climb or a skinny trail, lowering the saddle is a big help.

I'd probably want one for a gravel bike for the same reasons. DT Swiss has one @370 grams. If you were to put one on you would subtract the weight of your existing post so the net gain wouldn't be 370, more like less than 200 over a light rigid post.

Last edited by big john; 12-03-20 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-03-20, 05:07 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
There is no need for one on a road bike. The purpose on a MTB is so that on steep technical descents, you can get your weight back behind the saddle so you don't go over the bars. The dropper allows you to get the saddle out of the way when you do that - and so you don't crash your crotch into the saddle if you suddenly lunge forward.

On road bikes, we aren't getting off and behind the saddle on descents. In fact, many people slide up on the saddle or sit on the top tube, the exact opposite of what is happening on a MTB.
Well, what people -- specifically, pros on closed courses and amateur imitators -- do on a road bike without a dropper is constrained by the fixed position of saddle and post, so it isn't exactly a great argument against the dropper to say that they aren't useful because no one uses those positions. The only study I know about also found that moving up on the saddle isn't faster than the "Pantani" behind-the-saddle position, nor is riding more forward on the top tube faster than riding all the way back against the seat post.

Also worth mentioning is the safety of those positions when emergency maneuvering and braking are needed, on a non-closed road as non-racers like myself ride. I've barrelled downhill at 40mph into a curve revealing an intersection where the light suddenly turned yellow, and I sure as heck have wished to be as far back and low as I can get. The more forward rotated one's fit is on the bike, the more important it is to have that weight back but also the more difficult it is to do so with the saddle in the way. I've already put 32mm rubber on to increase braking grip, I'd entertain the idea of adding a dropper to my 1x bike at least.
Likes For surak:
Old 12-03-20, 09:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,423 Times in 2,824 Posts
Today I descended a mile and a half very curvy mtn road where the grade runs from 10-16%. Some of the corners are posted at 25 down to 15 MPH and when approaching these curves and not being able to lower my center of gravity is a real detriment to feeling more confident even at a safe speed. Remember I am over 6’. On my mtn bike I would have dropped the post to the top tube and slalomed those curves. Unfortunately the aero shape of my road bike seat post won’t allow it. If I could, I would.

if you are no where near 6’ AND enjoy going fast I can easily see how the concept would be of no interest and would seem crazy.

On my first post I asked for opinions and as usual they are all over the board. Thanks for the responses.

Last edited by rsbob; 12-03-20 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-05-20, 08:55 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
You could get yourself a French fit frame. That would get you down closer to the frame.
Old 12-06-20, 06:10 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
As a life long road cyclist, a dropper seat post is a cure for a problem I don't have. Hard pass.
Old 12-06-20, 06:25 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,879 Times in 1,645 Posts
Old 12-06-20, 10:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Today I descended a mile and a half very curvy mtn road where the grade runs from 10-16%. Some of the corners are posted at 25 down to 15 MPH and when approaching these curves and not being able to lower my center of gravity is a real detriment to feeling more confident even at a safe speed. Remember I am over 6’. On my mtn bike I would have dropped the post to the top tube and slalomed those curves. Unfortunately the aero shape of my road bike seat post won’t allow it. If I could, I would.

if you are no where near 6’ AND enjoy going fast I can easily see how the concept would be of no interest and would seem crazy.

On my first post I asked for opinions and as usual they are all over the board. Thanks for the responses.
I am 6'5 and the concept is of no interest.
If a road has a 15mph sign posted due to such severe curves, then just slow down.
Old 12-07-20, 12:32 PM
Larry Lem 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For bikes that are being raced and have to add ballast to bring them up to the UCI weight limit, a dropper post makes more sense than sitting on the top tube in supertuck position on long descents.