Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Sensor Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-21, 01:15 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Garmin Sensor Question

I use a Garmin 910xt and I have never used a speed sensor or cadence sensor. If I bought one would that override the GPS speed and distance? Based on what I have read it will over ride the GPS information but will the ride show up on a Garmin Map or on Strava. I assume so but not sure if all the data will be different. To me the speed sensor would be find for indoor riding but I have cateye wireless on the back wheel of bike on the trainer. I guess I am asking because I thought about trying Zwift and I would need the sensor for Zwift. Then I got to thinking about it how bad to I really need Zwift if I know the distance and speed I am going on the indoor trainer? I don't really mind riding trainers they don't bore me too bad with heart rate and my computer I get a the basic information, so maybe Zwift is not something I would find any better.

I take any thoughts from those with experience on Garmin and Zwift. Seems many cyclists use it and I am serious cyclist I just never have?
Old 02-06-21, 01:22 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Speed sensor data overrides the GPS speed data.
Old 02-06-21, 02:33 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Yes, it'll rely on the sensor for speed and distance. No, it will not replace the GPS location data, so all of your ride maps will show up as they usually do.
Old 02-06-21, 02:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Zwift is a different matter - some find it motivating, others don't see the appeal. I prefer intervals without distraction (other than music), which you could certainly do without Zwift but, with HR lag, I think that it's a huge improvement to have either a power meter or a good guesstimate of power (usually based on the resistance curve of a known trainer and rear wheel speed).
Old 02-06-21, 02:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Your gps coordinates are saved in the log file that gets uploaded. There is a timestamp with those coordinates and some sites can or will use those timestamps to calculate your speed regardless of what the wheel sensor says. Same for distance.

Nothing is lost. However if you use a speed sensor, then the device will show that as speed and distance on it's display.
Old 02-06-21, 05:14 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
You can try Zwift without signing up for (I think) 12 miles of riding (25Km?)
I know I would go nuts riding indoors without Zwift. My 'easy rides' always seem to turn into mini races as soon as another rider pulls up beside me. I use a Tacx smart trainer, so even though I'm inside, I still 'feel' the hills.
Old 02-11-21, 08:09 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
As others have said, yes, it overrides speed and distance, but when combined with GPS and a computer that can auto calculate wheel size, it will be more accurate.

Old 02-11-21, 08:13 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
As for Zwift, speed and distance don't really matter much. Indoor training is far better measured in time and power/effort. Sure, while there's a rough correlation w/ speed and distance, it's just that: "rough".

I say that as someone who has put over 3500 "miles" into Zwift in the last 6 months. I use it, a LOT. I've only ridden outside twice in the last year.