Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Tandem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 03:19 PM
gate28

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tandem

- identify if possible? I started to replace wheels etc...but thought maybe better off keeping it original. I have all the original parts. Not sure how the derailleur works. Brake cable is more of a push rod. Brakes are coaster brakes. It was bought second hand in the seventies.
I am in NZ.

Old 03-02-21, 12:05 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
I can't help you with identifying the maker of the bike, but the rear derailleur mounts to the two holes in the bracket on the drive side chain stay. According to Velobase the derailleur is a Cyclo Benelux product from the late 1930s or early 1940s.
There appears to be a headbadge under the red paint. Careful removal of the paint with paint thinner, mineral spirits, or (as a last resort) lacquer thinner may reveal the name of the manufacturer.
Brent
Old 03-02-21, 02:39 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
That is a vintage tandem. If you're interested in them, and willing to take the plunge, move over to the C&V forum for useful advice on how to restore it. Lots of people there willing and able to help.

If not, don't touch it, keep all the parts you got and sell it to someone who wants to restore it.

Price-wise, it's a bit of a gamble. You'll need to find the right buyer.