Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy/ Shimano

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Campy/ Shimano

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 01:37 PM
harddock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campy/ Shimano

I have a Cannondale presently running Campy Ergo 9 speed shifters to a 9 speed Campy derailler Shimano hub. It is only running 8 speeds. 12/32 ( which are either Shimano or Sram) I want to change the gearing to 9 speed. The hubs accept Shimano. Can I use Shimano cassette 11/34 and run the Campy w/o any problems? I know I need a 9 sp chain.
Old 04-19-10, 02:20 PM
WebsterBikeMan

Bikes: Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I read your question right, you are asking whether you can run 9 speed Campy shifters connected to a 9 speed Campy Der. on a 9 speed Shimano/SRAM cassette. The answer is yes, but - well, maybe not.

First, the distance between cogs is different on Shimano vs Campy. This means you need a different amount of cable pull than your levers would naturally give you. The JTek shiftmate would take care of that.

But the other part is that Campy RDs are not rated for an 11/34. They don't make a long cage version, as that's generally a MTB part, and Campagnolo abandoned the MTB market years ago. Most of us Campy-lovers wind up with Shimano RDs (and typically FDs as well, if we want a wide range triple), and a shift-mate so we can still use our Ergo levers.
Old 04-19-10, 02:27 PM
harddock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My RD seemed very long, It handles the 32 w/o any trouble. I believe it is Race Triple 9 sp. grouppe. So worst case senario is I need to switch draillers to Shimano or leave it alone and put the 11/34 on my Shimano powered Deore LX touring bike.
Old 04-19-10, 03:45 PM
swc7916

Bikes: Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that the Campy Ergo 10-speed shifters work with a 9-speed Shimano cassette, but I don't think that 9-speed Campy shifters will work. I have a Campy Comp Triple rear derailleur that shifts fine with a SRAM 11-32 cassette.