Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

need help deciding on a jacket/shell

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-06, 10:38 AM
ccrnnr9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had gone to my lBS and they suggested a 120$ cannondale cycling jacket. After reading here I am glad I waited as it seems most everyone just layers and uses a completely wind proof shell/jacket. Can anyone suggest some specific brands/models? I am looking on performance and nashbar and they everything from 20$-499$ jackets. I would prefer something cycling specific as the collar and fabric is usually cut so that it is flexible and comfortable in a cycling position. I have plenty of things to layer with but need something wind proof for my torso. We frequently get 25+mph winds in my area and I need something to keep that out!
~Nick

P.S. I prefer low cost but will settle for anything.
Old 10-13-06, 11:02 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I use a J&G Wind Jacket year round and add layers underneath as needed. Wool and Polypro layers work best for me.

https://www.bicycleclothing.com/Wind-Jackets.html
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-13-06, 11:37 AM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check this thread and look under torso, note the temps as well that are listed under conditions.