Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 10:10 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by m750rider
Not exactly saved from the dump, but did need a replacement rear wheel which Robbietunes was able to supply. Added a white Specialized saddle and it looks pretty nice. All 105 equipped. Too bad it's too big for me.
Denver CL? I emailed about a 64cm that looked just like that but lost out. If that is the one, I have a line on a black 61cm Dave Scott in Denver. Let me know....
Old 11-17-10, 09:21 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by m750rider
Not exactly saved from the dump, but did need a replacement rear wheel which Robbietunes was able to supply. Added a white Specialized saddle and it looks pretty nice. All 105 equipped. Too bad it's too big for me.
Not too big for me! Looks like a 63cm to me. How far are you from Atlanta? Id be darn tempted if the price was right.

88. I have one of the exact same color scheme in a 60cm Unfortunatly mine is a basket case for being left in the weather for a very long time. Picked it up for $20 and not much I can do with it or many of the parts.

Nice score!
Old 11-18-10, 11:33 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Not much of a catch, but priced accordingly... I'm hoping to get some help from some of you on identifying a couple of items. I got this box of parts with what you see here(along with the charger and another battery pack for the light, and a MTB fender).

I dont even know if this is bike related, but the small black Heatflash(looks like a remote). What is it? There is a flat probe that slides out of it and heats up when you push the button, and a red led comes on.

There is a light blue aero vinyl patch kit for some sort of tubular?

I can post more detailed photos if needed

Old 11-21-10, 04:52 PM
enjoybikes

Bikes: Early 90's Pinarello Gavia, '84 Guerciotti, '91 GF Hoo Koo e Koo, '88 Giant Iguana, '09 Specialized XC

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=enjoybikes;11759436]Here's a picture of the current config of the $5 Peugot PH-10L from the thrift. Spent a little money and got a flip-flop ss wheelset and some TT bars. Gonna run it fixed until my brake levers get here. Nice feeling and riding frame.

Old 11-21-10, 06:56 PM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Neat catch. I have been wanting to build a Porter for a while using the Raleigh that is not a Raleigh but has lots of nice Campy and Shimano 600 parts on it.
Yesterday a Velo-Orange Porteur rack shows up on Craigs for $60.
Very lightly used porteur stainless steel front rack. Mounts to fork crown brake bolt and fender eyelet. I mounted it to my threaded front axle so anthing is possible. For specs go to velo orange site. I gave the rack a rattle can black paint job.
Price is firm. All the hardware is included.
So I call the guy and he is clear cross town. I ask "how" he painted it trying to see if he sanded it or used any sort of etching paint. "Just some Rustoleum that chips" trying to make it look cheap for riding in town". So I decided to go take a look and see if I felt good about hitting it with a stripper to get it back to the stainless. Sure enough the pant doesn't sick hardly at all. I decided I will take it.

Little small talk with the guy and he says "you said you build bikes right? anything you are looking for?" Tell him "yep I need a 90mm stem but love to see anything you might like to part with." Takes me in the house pulls out two boxes of parts and starts pulling stuff out like a 8 speed Campy Mirage derailleur and Campy record cranks with a stripped peddle threads. "Say take it all!" So I get home and start digging and there is a complete Campy 8 speed brifter set up. Well loved stuff but once I fix the the crank threads looks serviceable.

Also a 1/8 Sugino drive side crank with a 48 tooth ring (other side missing) 1/8 Shimano 18 tooth freehub and the chain. Brand new ultra race folder and Kenda Folder. Toe clips some cheaper peddles good for flippers 3 stems and some other loose parts.

So is Campy 8 speed cassette the same spacing as (the cassette is in pieces and I need to see if I have it all) and will Campy cassettes fit Shimano hubs? any online instructions on these shifters?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Score..jpg (68.1 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by Grim; 11-21-10 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 10:30 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Not bike-related, but I know there are plenty of musicians who might dig this score - went to a huge antiques show in Mt. Dora Florida over the weekend and picked up a Maestro Echoplex for $20.

Tested the limit of my front rack (and brake mounts!) on the way back to the motel:

Old 11-22-10, 01:01 PM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Now an old Echoplex is a way cool find and your bike is trooper for getting it home.

Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
Not bike-related, but I know there are plenty of musicians who might dig this score - went to a huge antiques show in Mt. Dora Florida over the weekend and picked up a Maestro Echoplex for $20.

Tested the limit of my front rack (and brake mounts!) on the way back to the motel:

Old 11-22-10, 02:30 PM
jonmar

Bikes: Claude Butler Anteous mountain bike road tyres.Apollo CX10 hybrid Various old road bikes.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could your Heatflash be a deicer for your frozen lock on your car, just a thought.Cheers
Old 11-22-10, 03:02 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I couldn't go riding last weekend because I was busy installing a new-to-me boiler in the beach house. It's maybe 20 years old, got it for $400 from a neighbor, and then he and another neighbor --who's good at this kind of thing-- installed it. With minimal help from me.

So today the local scrap metal guy came and pulled the old boiler --dated 10/64-- out and took it away. And left me with this (see, I always bring my stories back to the subject at hand!). I gave him $30 but mean to give him more at a later date; I want this guy on my side!

Yup, it's a 1964 Moulton Four Speed. Kickstand missing, rear rack missing, front rack badly bent... but head badge and both fenders are present, front suspension works smoothly, rust may not be too terrible. Hopefully you'll see this in the 'before and after' thread one day! The paint is pretty bad... but you don't hear me saying "repaint" yet. We'll see how it cleans up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0024.jpg (86.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 11-22-10, 03:45 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmar
Could your Heatflash be a deicer for your frozen lock on your car, just a thought.Cheers
You are correct. Thanks

When I originally did a Google search, I should have added key chain or key to it.
Old 11-22-10, 08:40 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Originally Posted by rhm
I couldn't go riding last weekend because I was busy installing a new-to-me boiler in the beach house. It's maybe 20 years old, got it for $400 from a neighbor, and then he and another neighbor --who's good at this kind of thing-- installed it. With minimal help from me.

So today the local scrap metal guy came and pulled the old boiler --dated 10/64-- out and took it away. And left me with this (see, I always bring my stories back to the subject at hand!). I gave him $30 but mean to give him more at a later date; I want this guy on my side!

Yup, it's a 1964 Moulton Four Speed. Kickstand missing, rear rack missing, front rack badly bent... but head badge and both fenders are present, front suspension works smoothly, rust may not be too terrible. Hopefully you'll see this in the 'before and after' thread one day! The paint is pretty bad... but you don't hear me saying "repaint" yet. We'll see how it cleans up.
Great score RHM, sounds like you have a valuable contact! One can never have too many bikes, but don't you have another Moulton?
Old 11-22-10, 08:45 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Originally Posted by sonatageek
Now an old Echoplex is a way cool find and your bike is trooper for getting it home.
It certainly made the steering interesting having that much weight swinging out beyond the axle, but I wanted to keep it in sight in case the straps weren't enough.
Old 11-22-10, 09:14 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's just what I need to perfect my Eddie Cochran tunes! Amazing score man!
Old 11-22-10, 09:31 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Ha ha, thanks Rob, I'll be breaking out the guitar for sure! To get back OT, I spotted several vintage bike headlights (not sure if they ran on calcium carbide or liquid fuel,) but they seem to go for big bucks, $200 and up. There were plenty of examples of balloon tire bikes, but no lightweights. One of the dealers had an RSW to cruise around the site on, but not for sale.
Old 11-23-10, 02:04 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Great score RHM, sounds like you have a valuable contact! One can never have too many bikes, but don't you have another Moulton?
True. And I'm impressed at your memory!

This one is better suited to my needs, being a four speed and cosmetically challenged; the other (a stowaway) has never served the purpose for which I got it (I had meant to use it as a commuter; I soon discovered that an actual folding bike suits my needs better) and it's in very good condition (no rust). It goes on ebay ASAP.

Now... where to get a replacement rear rack, or something else that will serve that purpose....
Old 11-23-10, 09:12 AM
kuso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
picked this up yesterday. I've got some work to do.

Old 11-23-10, 09:26 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts

I see its plugged in, is it an electric bike? ;0)
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 11-23-10, 09:29 AM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kuso
picked this up yesterday. I've got some work to do.

Drugs are bad!

WTF! LOL
Old 11-23-10, 09:38 AM
kuso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes

I see its plugged in, is it an electric bike? ;0)
My theft deterrent system
Old 11-23-10, 09:48 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Wow, interesting chain ring arrangement! I've found several bikes that looked like they were assembled by the same mechanic.
Old 11-24-10, 09:47 AM
TireLever-07

Bikes: 2009 Masi, 2014 Specialized Crossroads 1975 Schwinn Unicycle

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One weird crankset,maybe a single speed project. Was working on the chainline?? chris
Old 11-24-10, 10:05 AM
himespau 

Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
What the???

Someone was very confused after hearing the term flip flop???
Old 11-24-10, 09:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Today, a neighbor gave me a ladies Raleigh Sports 3-speed. The frame appears to be about 22" or 23". Pretty good condition, other than dirt and grime. New tires! And it has a Wald basket on the handlebars.

I strapped it to my trailer and pedaled home with it.

On the way home, I passed two boys playing basketball. One of them shouted out, "Hey how come you got two bikes? Can I have one?"

I made a U turn and stopped to talk. I said this one isn't ready but I have bikes. He asked how much? I said, I'll make it so you can afford it. He said like $30. His cousin said, like $30 or $50. I gave him my card and we exchanged names. He's in 7th grade. I said I could teach him to fix bikes, too. He seemed to like that. He goes to the public middle school where I taught cycling in some gym classes a few weeks ago. If I get a chance to teach the rest of the classes, I'll be teaching him.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-24-10, 09:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Today, a neighbor gave me a ladies Raleigh Sports 3-speed. The frame appears to be about 22" or 23". Pretty good condition, other than dirt and grime. New tires! And it has a Wald basket on the handlebars.

I strapped it to my trailer and pedaled home with it.

On the way home, I passed two boys playing basketball. One of them shouted out, "Hey how come you got two bikes? Can I have one?"

I made a U turn and stopped to talk. I said this one isn't ready but I have bikes. He asked how much? I said, I'll make it so you can afford it. He said like $30. His cousin said, like $30 or $50. I gave him my card and we exchanged names. He's in 7th grade. I said I could teach him to fix bikes, too. He seemed to like that. He goes to the public middle school where I taught cycling in some gym classes a few weeks ago. If I get a chance to teach the rest of the classes, I'll be teaching him.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-24-10, 10:57 PM
kuso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TireLever-07
One weird crankset,maybe a single speed project. Was working on the chainline?? chris
ya it definitely looked like a single speed setup. what i'm curious about though is how well a biopace chainring would work on single speed/fixed. would there be a problem with chain tension? maybe thats why it got abandoned. Anyone know where I can find a 7 speed cassette?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.